Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 27

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  04:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Martin,
Question, whats the maker of those passenger cars? Also, they look to be casted metal car sides, are they? I know the ends of them, are, but whats the car sides made of or from?

Interesting car, to say the least!

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  04:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Martin,

That PV car is distinctive. In the 1-1 world, what kind of load would it have carried with that barred door?

These are produce cars - generally called "watermelon cars". Ends have louvered vents as well.

Got several of them now - the PVRR one is an All Nation kit car.

The ACL car is another All Nation kit car - partially assembled car that I picked up at a MER NMRA convention for $10.

These 2 are my own scratchbuilt cars

Your Watermelon car, doors with the "grid" what way did you go about making those? OR were those detail parts? I'm thinking of building a few of my own 'melon cars! Much the same way out of wood! I'm just not sure how I want to go about, making that door!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  07:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,

I went back and compared the 'before' and 'after' shots on this passenger car. Great work!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  08:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quoteYour Watermelon car, doors with the "grid" what way did you go about making those? OR were those detail parts? I'm thinking of building a few of my own 'melon cars! Much the same way out of wood! I'm just not sure how I want to go about, making that door!
[/quote]

Thany you gentlemen for the kind words regarding these cars!

That grid is made up from strip wood where the horizontal members were all pre-drilled for brass wire. The wire was inserted while the doors were being assembled. It's just as much fun to do as described!

I actually picked up a 4th one of these cars - All-Nation kit car - that just needed a very small bit of restoration and repair. I may have saturated my interest in these cars for a while. However, when the brass ones from Yoder make their appearance, I may spring for one...if my loan officer is agreeable.

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  08:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EM-1

Martin,
Question, whats the maker of those passenger cars? Also, they look to be casted metal car sides, are they? I know the ends of them, are, but whats the car sides made of or from?

That's an Alexander Scale Models car that was in his 1937 catalog. I sort of regret now not making a mold of sides and ends....

All cast aluminum!!

quote:
I went back and compared the 'before' and 'after' shots on this passenger car. Great work!

Thanks! I'm not 100% happy with the roof, but given where I started, I'll tolerate it for now.

I want to find another one of these!!!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  09:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin has been using those passenger cars as stand-in for free weights, so he gets exercise credit for working on them :-)

I've seen them in-the-metal, so to speak, as work in progress. Hopefully he'll bring them to the NMRA meet in Oct.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Martin has been using those passenger cars as stand-in for free weights, so he gets exercise credit for working on them :-)

The amount of sheet lead that I'll put in these cars will be subtantial in relationship to what's seen in HO cars. I also have a numver of lead "brick" that are vinyl coated that fill the hand that are in frequent use.

quote:
I've seen them in-the-metal, so to speak, as work in progress. Hopefully he'll bring them to the NMRA meet in Oct.

Possibly for display dependent upon numbers of entries in the contest room. I may bring a favorite train entry based on trolley freight cars or MoW cars......

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  4:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EM-1

Martin,

That's an Alexander Scale Models car that was in his 1937 catalog. I sort of regret now not making a mold of sides and ends....

All cast aluminum!!

Yeah.....That always seems to be the case.... making molds, I do the same! That's an OLD car! I don't disagree with you on making a mold in that case!

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  4:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quoteYour Watermelon car, doors with the "grid" what way did you go about making those? OR were those detail parts? I'm thinking of building a few of my own 'melon cars! Much the same way out of wood! I'm just not sure how I want to go about, making that door!

Thany you gentlemen for the kind words regarding these cars!

That grid is made up from strip wood where the horizontal members were all pre-drilled for brass wire. The wire was inserted while the doors were being assembled. It's just as much fun to do as described!

I actually picked up a 4th one of these cars - All-Nation kit car - that just needed a very small bit of restoration and repair. I may have saturated my interest in these cars for a while. However, when the brass ones from Yoder make their appearance, I may spring for one...if my loan officer is agreeable.
[/quote]

I thought, by the looks of it you done VERY well drilling the wood for the wire! I will be doing the same, on my cars when I get around to it.....

I'm working on designing a few Can-Stock cars, that I want and just can't justify the cost of RTR cars, already made! Plus, I just want to see if I can do it!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  11:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A recent arrival to the shop......fragile, barely structually stable, and will be a fun rebuild, too! Don't know it this was a kit or what, but I bought 5 cars to get this one - the other 4 are actively looking for new homes already,

[url=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/mwbpequod/media/Freight%20Cars/CPR%20Conductors%20Van/CPRConductorsVan3015ars_zps5f169457.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/mwbpequod/media/Freight%20Cars/CPR%20Conductors%20Van/CPRConductorsVan3015brs_zps793b05e9.jpg.html][/url]

I think that while I reassemble//restore it, that I may build a copy or 2 in parallel, too.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  3:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like watching your salvage/historic builds; I have a few items around in the same category, though in HO.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  8:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a really neat little 'Van' Were the other cars like it or just junk?

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  9:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

That's a really neat little 'Van' Were the other cars like it or just junk?

Neither, actually. 2 were rather decent All-Nation kit cars, 1 was an All-Nation kit car in need of help, and I'm not entirely sure of the heritage of the 4th, but it was fairly decent, too.

The van was the one in the worse condition. If I pick it up wrong, I think it just might fall to pieces. That actually will not be a terribly bad thing either since I can get measurements off the individual parts easier and then be sure of getting glue into all of the joints as opposed to just selectively.

Got 3 other cars donated to me this week, too. Ambroid hopper that will need a serious rebuild of both ends, a Walther(?) or scratch built OB boxcar using some Walthers parts, and a ScaleCraft kit(?) OB boxcar car. Both of the latter 2 are solid, but both have some need of TLC. Not entirely sure of what I'll do with them. The Walthers car is a 50' car; I have no freight cars over 40'....

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your re-builds are always enjoyable, Martin. Keep the updates coming.

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  4:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Martin,
What scale are these cars? AND where on earth did you find the decals?

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000