Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration
Page: of 35

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  9:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

You either have a special skill in finding unfinished or damaged kits or O scale modelers are more likely to run out of steam because I sure donít see many HO kits in this condition. Although I do have a couple.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  07:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Martin,

You either have a special skill in finding unfinished or damaged kits or O scale modelers are more likely to run out of steam because I sure donít see many HO kits in this condition. Although I do have a couple.

Mike

Well, it's not a kit per se but rather someone's accumulation of parts that never got assembled and now I'm adding to, subtracting from to make into some sort of workable bobber caboose. It does me little good for the parts to set for another eon in a box for the next O scaler who in all probability would dump on eBay or just toss into the dustbin.

I'm going to get my fun now! Ok, and after I'm done building it, then it's a different problem. to solve as I really have no need to keep it unless I am overcome with separation anxiety,

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  1:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took the resin cast ends and hacked off the bottom bits left & right and then reshaped the curvature along the top to match that of the roof profile. End mill in the variable speed drill press working on resin is so nice!!!

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Added decking to the entire top of the frame...

and then to the underside as well as a center sill.

And replaced the plastic wheelsets for nice etal ones......this bobber will need not weight to be added,

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  12:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked out the sides.....decided to go with the white metal castings. Had to open up the holes a bit with the Dremel and files, but they fit now!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  10:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Putting the reshaped/milled ends to the roof section... End castings are not flush with the top of the rood casting. Card stock applied to make platform overhand leaving a slot between the card stock and the casting for inserting the wood for the overhang.

Edited by - mwbpequod on 03/11/2019 11:17:06 AM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  2:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working out the roof overhand over the platform ends...

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a good Sunday afternoon when the sun is shining after a solid week of rain, and Martin is posting his fine work from the car shops!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  10:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the windows settled into the brass sides and the side grabs soldered into place.

Next up is to get a coat of paint or 3 on these and the cupola so I can install the window glazing before buttoning the entire car.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  09:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Painted and glazed, and marker lights added.

Back to the rest of the body now...

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  12:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Looking good!

Thanks! I'll have to remember to put the jewels on those lights after I get closer to the end.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  3:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, you always seem to be able to make a silk purse out of whatever has been thrown your way!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  4:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Martin, you always seem to be able to make a silk purse out of whatever has been thrown your way!

Let me assure you that there have been more than a few that I either pawned off on others, or just salvaged some bits off before their disposal.

I try also try pretty hard not to buy anything w/o having a pretty good idea that I can make something acceptable of it.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  12:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put some paint on the ends before adding the railings and having to work around them.

Black paint on the roof is where I think that the cupola will end up.

Edited by - mwbpequod on 03/11/2019 11:17:56 AM

Page: of 35 Topic Next Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000