Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration
Page: of 35

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2018 :  08:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Looking good, Martin. Particularly thinking about what you had to start with.

Thanks, George. I'll wrap this one up in a day or 3, and then it's on to the next caboose project....which I think is a partial pseudo-started scratchbuild in brass and other bits. Best thing about these projects is that they are totally liberating........

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  11:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll call this one done, ready to be boxed up, and to have a bit of rest on the storage tub before heading off in search of a new home.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  11:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, sure looks like you made a silk purse, out of a cow's ear with that one.
Nice work!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  12:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, turned out nice in the end. Should sell fast.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  10:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks really nice. There's something about a bobber that really strikes a chord with me.

Might I suggest some acetate windows?

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  07:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Might I suggest some acetate windows?

Considered glazing - would use polycarbonate though. May yet go back and add some - doing cupolas is annoying at best,

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  12:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect most modelers who complain about ballasting have yet to glaze any windows. It has to be one of my least favorite aspects of the hobby, though if I am patient and work carefully I am often happy with the results. And I'm working in HO. Lord help the N scalers!

Something about this caboose...maybe it is the metal roofing...reminds me of early Mantua kits. Nicely done.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  1:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really surprised that you were able to save that caboose. Excellent Job.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  4:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, glazing is really high on my least favorite things to do, too!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  11:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Yeah, glazing is really high on my least favorite things to do, too!

It's tedious stuff to do particularly when it's a building with lots of windows. I used to do mine with slip cover glass, and I still do that at times when I'm feeling mildly masochistic.....but using real glass does look rather good and there are no worries about any adhesive interactions.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  2:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got space on the bench so it's time to grab the next project box and see what I've got to face now.

Riiiiiiiight.....looks like parts of another bobber caboose....scartchbuilt brass base with some decent pedestals for the wheels (those have to go - plastic Athearn wheels), a Weaver brass cupola, adds & ends, roof section, pair of etched sides with windows cut out and lamination bit for behind them, more bits & bobs, couple pack w/o couplers in it but a pair of boxes are there....

Maybe 1/2 a rung up the ladder from a scratch from the beginning project...

Might as well dive in and get started in on that base and put it to rights, and work my way upwards from there.

Bugger! No caboose steps......and I don't have any that are right for this build.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  2:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bugger! No caboose steps......and I don't have any that are right for this build.

You said,"Maybe 1/2 a rung up the ladder from a scratch from the beginning project"! Now you're complaining.

Looking forward to seeing the pieces go together.

George

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  5:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That roof stock turns out to be way too wide for the side to meet up vs. the width of the base.

Might rip the center out of the roof stock and see if I can reassemble the sides to the get the right width and then sand that profile to meet the brass cupola.....

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  3:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, ripped a section out of the center of the roof stock with the band saw. Not setting up this cut on the radial arm saw for such a small bit of wood - I like the fingers firmly attached where they are. Glued some stock bass wood into the middle to get the right width and also to adjust the curvature profile to better fit under that brass cupola. The bass wood was the right width but ~ 1/8" to tall. After the glue dried, the roof stock was put into the vise and I took off the excess bit with a wood chisel. A touch of the sanding block and the cupola fits nicely.

One problem solved!

Next: those resin ends have the wrong roof curve profile and need some trimming, too.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  9:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This caboose should be a real tasty dish with such a great variety of ingredients!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 35 Topic Next Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000