Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration Topic Next Topic: MDC/Roundhouse Gravel Cars
Page: of 36

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  10:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking gondola, Martin.

George

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  6:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all.

Got to dig through the project boxes a bit and re-org the debris - a little decision making on some getting diverted to the sell off bins and then pulling the next project.

Nice to see the one pile slowly shrinking; what to do with the pile of completed cars! Off to the sell off bins, I guess.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  08:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next up out of the crates of project boxes.........a Thomas Bobber caboose!

Looks like most of it is there with most of a prior paint job or 3 removed. Brass for the cupola roof is missing, but that's not a problem to replace, Brakewheels and brake cylinder are also absent. We'll have to see what can be made of this and how it all goes back together.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  08:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making a bit of headway with the bobber...added a bit of underbody to the sheet metal floor and some bits to the ends. Sideframes reassembled with all their bits in place and all a bit cleaned up now, too.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  11:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the cupola assembled and mounted to the main roof; there were slots for screwing the cupola to the body shell, but I've just mounted in place with JB Weld and made it into a single integral unit that's much more stable. Straigthen up the smoke jack and then found a bit of .010 brass to make the roof for the cupola.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  09:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basic body is pretty cleaned up now and both doors are secured. You can see the center mounts for the cupola that I'm not going to use, but there are also the end mounts that screw into the roof walk casting through the roof. Those actually align decently when I test fit the roof onto the body. Not sure what held the frame and trucks assembly into the body, but it seems that the combination of friction and gravity might work just fine,

Those large holes in the sides are for marker lights - got them and they are mounted into Plexiglass(?) rod - we'll see.....

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  3:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gravity - its not just a good idea, its the law!

Looking good, Martin. 4 walls - simplicity itself.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Gravity - its not just a good idea, its the law!

Looking good, Martin. 4 walls - simplicity itself.

Yes, and no... The doors were actually intended to open and pivot but not on actual hinges and one pivot clasp on one door was gone. I decided that this was an unneeded feature and JB welded them into place and that tightened up the 4 walls a bit, too. Took a file to all of the windows as well; castings were not all that clean.

Need to grind through this and get it off my bench. Just got 2 Priority mail shoe box boxes and there's work to be done in those!

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  11:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, you made it look simple! What's in the shoe boxes?

I know the feeling about grinding through and getting to the next. Just got my replacement soldering iron tips yesterday so now I can clear off my bench for the next project today!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  3:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Well, you made it look simple! What's in the shoe boxes?

Funky NYC caboose that I want to make a copy of for fun; Pittman freight motor body w/o roof and floor, trucks, etc. Not sure what it will become when I get through with it!

quote:
I know the feeling about grinding through and getting to the next. Just got my replacement soldering iron tips yesterday so now I can clear off my bench for the next project today!

Been on a building frenzy; good bit of that does not get posted here since I need it as content for the magazine. Wrote one article this week and getting set up to write the next one over the weekend. When I'm not building or writing, I've been on a scenery burst on the layout. Just replaced one the lighting units in the ceiling today and my wife took one look at the change in light and told me to do the other 3. It's nice when SWMBO'd tells me to spend money!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  3:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using LEDs for your replacement lights?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  4:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Are you using LEDs for your replacement lights?

Yes!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fast forward to get this off my bench a bit....not quite 100% yet, but close.

Slapped a bit of paint on everything and assembled it all together - body is just stuck onto the frame....needs the ladders and couplers - have to tap the ends for the coupler screws.....

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  11:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice look to your caboose. Sort of down home.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Martin. Particularly thinking about what you had to start with.

George

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration Topic Next Topic: MDC/Roundhouse Gravel Cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000