Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: AB BRAKE SYSTEMS (TICHY PARTS)
Page: of 27

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  07:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like a well dressed car to accompany dressed meats :) The lettering looks good.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  08:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fine looking reefer, Martin.

George

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  12:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The car looks so sharp! Well done.

It's only make-believe

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  1:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys!

Next up:

Came to me in a box wrapped in newspaper along with a second and much heavier and far less delicate car; box also had a nice hole in the side when I picked up off the porch.

I think it's all there and just needs to be re-assembled. Let's see what glue and a flock of clamps & weights do for it.

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

Maybe you should leave it alone. Some heavy weathering people might consider that car perfect as is.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 09/17/2018 2:46:41 PM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  2:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Martin,
Maybe you should leave it alone. Some heavy weathering people might consider that car perfect as is.

Had that thought...but I actually can't use this car as is - it's On3 and I don't have room for another scenery car on the layout.

I hope to have it on my table at the next Strasburg O scale meet in Oct. and then go to a new home.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  8:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is it about seeing such a car that just makes my heart flutter? There's a special joy (and probably a special place in heaven) for folks who give tired old rolling stock a new lease on life. It is one of the primary reasons I've been working to get a layout going where I can sit back and watch 'em roll.

Any pictures of your layout, Martin, out there?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  08:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What is it about seeing such a car that just makes my heart flutter? There's a special joy (and probably a special place in heaven) for folks who give tired old rolling stock a new lease on life. It is one of the primary reasons I've been working to get a layout going where I can sit back and watch 'em roll.

Lots of good play value and entertainment in putting these cars to rights and then in just building stuff. I was working on my layout and seem to have stalled out again - lots of distractions most of which should resolve in a few weeks.

quote:
Any pictures of your layout, Martin, out there?

Not as yet. However, back in August I had the magazine's photographer drop by to shoot a few dozen photos of the completed parts.

I suspect in the coming future that I will sit down, sort through them, and do a bit of writing regarding my own layout. I'll need some filler for some issue sometime,

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  07:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, the gon went back together reasonably well - lots of spring clamps and some careful gluing, and some weights, and some patience...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  09:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

Very nice. That gon has had a hard life and needed a little love.

I can picture it parked next to a shop or roundhouse, being filled with scrap to be hauled away.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  10:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Martin,

Very nice. That gon has had a hard life and needed a little love.

I can picture it parked next to a shop or roundhouse, being filled with scrap to be hauled away.

Hopefully, someone at the next Strasburg meet will have the vision and take it home with them!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  2:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

Fast forward to done,

That is a beautiful car and lettering. Martin, is that 2 separate sets of lettering in different colors, same size or two different sizes. Very, very impressive as usual from you'..

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  2:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
That is a beautiful car and lettering. Martin, is that 2 separate sets of lettering in different colors, same size or two different sizes. Very, very impressive as usual from you

Thanks!

That set of dry transfers is set up so that you put on one layer of the yellow, seal that, and then go back to the next layer of white and add that offset to get that effect. After that is done, it gets sealed again to add the red. Then it gets sealed again to finish.

I like to use Rustoleum Clear Matte for sealing these and for decals as well now. It's not flat or gloss and not satin, but a bit less.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  09:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually not next but leapfrogged over the queue:

Picked this up in a package deal at the O scale national last month as it seemed to have most of the castings included (other than the underbody and ends) and seemed to be reasonable well assembled so far.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  11:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, what potential!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 27 Topic Next Topic: AB BRAKE SYSTEMS (TICHY PARTS)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000