Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 36

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  08:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next up in the queue:

Not sure if all the parts are there, but it's just like putting a puzzle together. Might replace the ladders and corners....missing a section of the cast roof walk....

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, it looks like it needs a little reconstructive plastic surgery.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  08:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the covered hopper HO scale? If so, the die work makes me think Kadee.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  10:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Is the covered hopper HO scale? If so, the die work makes me think Kadee.

Nope. O Scale and made of wood and metal castings - Quality Craft kit, I think.

quote:
...a little reconstructive plastic surgery....

I was hoping to avoid the use of styrene!!

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  10:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Martin, that looks just like an HO Air Slide hopper (Ambroid/Northeastern) that I picked up for $2. It will be a big job to restore it.
Regards, Vic B.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  5:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitlerisvj

Wow Martin, that looks just like an HO Air Slide hopper (Ambroid/Northeastern) that I picked up for $2. It will be a big job to restore it.
Regards, Vic B.

I decided to skip much of the jigsaw re-assembly approach and just re-did the ends using brass angle, adding new ladders, stirrup steps, re-building the one hatch, made hatch supports, added the air line castings. Just sitting on a pair of Lobaugh trucks right now. What I need and do not have is a spare replacement roof walk for this car.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, Was the lettering all ready installed when you got the kit. I have built several All Nation Metal/wood O gauge cars. But Iv never saw a closed hopper before this one. Great work on the
additions you have added...Very NICE Work.....

ted :<)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  8:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Martin, Was the lettering all ready installed when you got the kit. I have built several All Nation Metal/wood O gauge cars. But Iv never saw a closed hopper before this one. Great work on the
additions you have added...Very NICE Work.....

Lettering - decals were on the car when I got it. If they had been in really bad shape I would have removed them, and started looking for some that I could use to replace the data sections and then letter it for CVRR!

Hmmmmm..... I just might do that anyway!

It's an old Gloor Craft // Quality Craft wood kit car that came with a bag of metal detail parts. You can still find them NIB on eBay and at swap meets. If I can track down a roof walk I could finish this one off in a evening or 3.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  9:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So as I thought. It is not a All Nation kit, just some all nation parts included..........with the other kit....As far as I understand it,, A.N. , only made box and coach cars.......It is difficult to find those parts from 50 + years ago...............

ted :<)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  10:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be an scale Ambroid kit....

AN also made kits for reefers, cabooses, tank cars, and at least 1 hopper.

Some parts are not all that hard to locate at the various shows and swap meets.

Posting a WTB over on the O Scale Yard Sale Yahoo group can be useful, too.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  10:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No idle hands allowed in the shop so on to the next car while waiting for a replacement roof walk to arrive for the hopper car.

This one is more than a little rough and I've already removed some bits, but I think I'll be stripping it down basic body working around the doors and windows. Looks like Walthers car bolsters on a RailCraft kit car....that weighs a few pounds. I think there's a sash weight inside this one!!!

Going to have to re-do the roof and ends and sides, and........the whole car!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  10:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one does indeed look a little 'rough around the edges', Martin.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  10:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most people would call that a basket case. It will be interesting to see what you can do with it.

George

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  11:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Most people would call that a basket case. It will be interesting to see what you can do with it.

Getting it back onto the track will be a bit of a challenge, I'm more concerned about the weight!!!

May be a basket case, but I've taken on a few of those grade cars in past and found them very suitable for use as scenery items - think yard offices, old abandoned cars setting on an overgrown siding in woods.... Had an early Hawk models pickle vat car that I used to make a display module a few years ago along with a Thomas bobber caboose that was missing a few parts. Made a nice seed in the woods for a group of moonshiners,

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  6:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, skipping forward over a few intermediary steps to..........painted and ready to letter...close to acceptable....

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Rapido Passenger car restoration Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000