Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Page: of 89

Seca River Matt
New Hire

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  3:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Gorgeous. Pun intended, but still simply gorgeous.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  5:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Håkan‘s name? Copy and paste.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  8:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well DUH!

Sometimes I'm such a maroon.

Here, let me try it: Håkan

Hah! Success!

Andre

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  08:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan
Very Impressive! The layout scenes are spectacular!
Dave

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  4:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed, Matthew and Dave!

Andre! I’ll come back to you. I’m not arrogant answering just pressed on time to use at the computer. I’m a disaster writing on the cell phone.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Håkan! We all do this for fun... if you get to it you get to it... if not... I understand!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  3:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
You are a humble person, Hakan. Yet, your work is emerging as TRULY EXCEPTIONAL within its genre. Very few of today's modelers take a creative "fanciful" approach to their modeling. Many are modeling more contemporary scenes (complete with graffiti on rolling stock/etc) and striving for that elusive "realism" quality that no layout can truly be. Yes, model photography can make model scenes and subjects look "realistic" (provided the modeler's/photographer's skills are up to it), but a layout as a whole, can never be "realistic"... for it is a layout.

Thanks Andre! I rather like fanciful modeling, always had. Many of the layouts conceived that are faithful to prototype and realistic that I read about in for example MR are well for lack of better word boring. For me at least. There are exceptions though with layouts that are more in the middle somewhere between John Allen and Lance Mindheim. George Sellious fabulous layout for example.

quote:
Ah, to have unlimited space (and funds and time to go with it!). When I mentally envisioned my "Colorado & Pacific", I too, saw vast canyons, towering peaks, sprawling towns... then reality sets in. From your statements I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

I know what you mean. If there is one turning point in my life I will remember on my death bed it is when I as a kid I found at the local library Westcotts book on the G&D. It really, really had a big impact on me. His layout set what I wanted. The funny thing with his layout that it indeed was fanciful but when it came to operation he really took it seriously.

quote:
My mental visions took a second hit when I realized that what I was designing was going to fill my space with layout to the point that my work area and storage suffered, as well as the potential for designing a layout I couldn't realistically get reasonably completed in my remaining years. Thus, like you, I have had to scale-back on my scope (Givins n' Druthers) from what I originally envisioned for my projected layout. I now have a "Version 1" track plan. Next I will be sketching ideas to see how they might look in 3D, and I will also be making cross-section scale drawings to see if the idea(s) are actually feasible. In the past, to-scale cross-sections helped me catch wishful thinking vs reality before the lumber was cut! So, all layouts have their compromises. Therefore, we all do the best we can with the space we have and what our abilities will allow.

I totally agree. That is why I skipped floor to ceiling scenery. One thing I’m very happy about designing the layout is that I have hidden much of the track. About 1/3 is in tunnels including a small helix. That way I got a very long mainline but somewhat avoided the spaghetti bowl look. Maintenance have not been a problem yet despite that some tunnels can’t be accessed without major surgery. Cleaning track is solved by my CMX “mean machine” car.

quote:
John Olson...

Ah, yes, John Olson! "Back in the day", I remember how John O's work was pretty much overshadowed/over powered by the preponderance of Malcolm's articles/etc that were populating the model press during that time. However, John O's scenic work is second to none. He is very, very creative and is a master at coloration and texture.... and his work was what... nearly 40 years ago??

I would love to view John's Mescal Lines work again. (It's been decades and I wasn't into that type of modeling then.) I may need to learn what model press mags his works appeared in and start trying to find them on eBay or sumpthin'.

Wow it really is 40 years ago. Time flies. See if you can find Model Railroaders CD with every mag from the beginning up to the 2010. Or get access to MRs online archive:
http://mrr.trains.com/archiveaccess
There is lot of reading on that one. It also has the series with the Jerome & Southwestern layout build as well as Malcolms San Juan Central.
I also plan to get the Gazette equivalent.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  1:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
I got my camera charged today and finally made a movie of the Bachmann with the home made 60" drivers. Here it is.
https://youtu.be/J1I7eS5kkss

There is still a small movement of the front moving up and down and a very small hesitation every rotation. It is very hard to get the wheelrim perfectly centric with the rotation.

I hope you like it. I hope to turn the loco into this:

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  7:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan:

First off, your engine:

Love it. Looks really good and I fail to see the concentricity issues you are concerned about. Looks smooth as butter in the video. Going to be a handsome little hog when you're finished.

Also:

Really enjoyed reading your reply to my post up above! Thanks for taking the time to share it! Here's a bit of input in response to some of your thought points:

John Allen and his G&D...

You said: "I will remember on my death bed it is when I as a kid I found at the local library Westcotts book on the G&D. It really, really had a big impact on me."

Linn's G&D book came along in my life during my fledgling years of discovering prototype steam, and the growing desire to model it. This would have been back in the very early 1980's for me. Previous to that ALL my modeling was diesel oriented. However, I will say that at the first, though I admired John Allen's skills and creative ability... I did think some of his scenes were "over the top" so to speak. (i.e. A bit too far fetched.) As for me, at the time I hoped to model steam in the Ozark Mountains, where my prototype steam interests were at the time. Then came our (wife and I) first vacation in Colorado in the very early 1990s. (There have been MANY since.) WOW!!! We saw such spectacular scenes that even wife Sharon said that John Allen didn't over model his scenery! The scenes we saw in Colorado were spectacular! And, unrealized to me at the time, the hook was being forever set in me concerning Colorado and its railroading. Since that time, on several occasions I've tried to take the plunge and model steam... but I always chickened-out and went back to diesels, never ever laying track for a steam oriented layout. NOT THIS TIME! I'm going to model Colorado in a "funky fantastic" way and and I'm going to model via 1880s steam! After all, EVERY functional layout I've had to date (five of 'em) over the past 50+ years was DIESEL. A major change is long overdue. This time I'm gonna' take the plunge and do what I've wanted to try for a looong time. If I fail... so be it... there's always diesels and I have a ton of DCC/Sound equipped ones NIB on my shelves if that's the case. However, I truly think that once I get started on my upcoming C&P layout and see things shaping up, I will be even more pleased with my decision to tackle it. Sure, I will have hurdles to overcome, such as learning to do Colorado-type scenery, back drops/etc, but again, this time I'm gonna' tackle it.

John Olson...

Thanks for the tip on the MR CD archives! I may have to check into that! Assuming its "searchable", I shouldn't have to go through the digitized magazines one page at a time to find items of interest.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  9:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Your locomotive looks great. A beautiful machine.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  9:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, cool little video!
Looks like it's running like a Swiss clock to me.

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys, I'm happy you liked it. I was very happy today as I managed getting Google to open my Youtube channel. I had forgotten the password and you know the drill. But somehow today I got it locked up and I transfered the Movie to that channel instead. It now is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsX3x3ybSI

I also added some other movies. Now over to something completely different.......
I have for a Narrow Gauge meet that I'm involved in arranging built a small Micro layout in 1/900.My camera skills are surely lacking as is my editing skills but nevertheless here it is
https://youtu.be/1pAmp84Lg-E

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  5:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Ha! Potential for operations is rather limited but with a few miles of track you could model a transcontinental railroad! It would require only about a half dozen levels in the largest airship hangers built.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/31/2018 5:47:45 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  8:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The American is looking sharp and running excellent. The drivers turned out perfect. I feel your pain on the youtube hassle. After a month I'm still trying to straighten my Email out.

It's only make-believe

lenelg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit lenelg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
The American looks great!
According to Youtube, your second movie, the 1/900 Micro, has been removed?

Lennart Elg - the Sloat Lumber Man

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000