Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  12:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!Hakan,
Looks to me like you've been one busy man. Father, machinist, shop foreman, feline caretaker, bridge builder, chief mine engineer. . . . what other feathers have you added to your hat?
All look just grand!

All the best to you in the coming New Year,
Greg Rich

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrific Jack Work trees. Can't wait to see them in place - that gorge is going to be spectacular.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Your trees look great. You have a lot of patience. Many years ago I made exactly one tree using the Jack Work method. That was enough. We all have limits.

Your impressive gorge is coming along terrifically.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  7:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry, Galen and Mike for the kind words! Tonight I poured the epoxi for the water under the trestle. Will be fun to see how it looks tomorrow. Or not depending on the result.

Thanks Greg! That is many hats to change between
What have you been up to?

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  05:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
some updates. During the holidays I managed to get my Gorge area somewhat finished and the first train could pass over the trestle.

I still have some work to do on the trestle with adding brazing that I knocked down when installing it. The mine is also a major build which take up a lot of time. Not so happy with the area as the mine rails and floor will come up quite high. Will look quite spindly. I'm somewhat after the look of the mine on John Olsens Mescal Lines like in the picture below.

Anyway here are some photos of the area as it is now with the first train over the trestle. I know the area looks exaggerated but I wanted a big contrast area with a spindly trestle over a chasm. No need to point out that my boyhood Model Railroad top heroes was John Allen, John Olsen and Malcolm Furlow

The switchstand top is one of our Bobs creations and is available in his Shapeways shop. I grew tired of the stock switchstands from PSC so this was a welcome addition.

Happy modeling!
Håkan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  06:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Håkan!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow lots of neat scenes there, Håkan!

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  08:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hooray, a Hakan update!!

Well, Hakan, I would SO love to be able to be "not so happy" with the look of my scenery if it will turn out looking as good as yours!

"John Allen, John Olsen, Malcolm Furlow..."

That's some pretty lofty company, there, Hakan... and you're doing them right proud!

Sounds like you and I are on the same page when it comes to some specific elements we want our layouts to accomplish for us.

Like you, the creative side of me has long admired the artistry and creativity of "The Terrific Trio" you mention. Pictures of their work are in various of my "Inspiration" folders that I have. There's also some pictures of Frederic Testard's work, and a certain Scandinavian dude that happens to frequent this forum.

Where did that cool picture of John O's Mescal Lines come from?

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 01/21/2018 08:23:47 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  08:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Impressive scene you’ve built. The rocks and the rest of the scenery bits look very realistic, a very dramatic setting for your trestle, which in itself is fantastic. I like the mine also even though you seem to have reservations.

Job well done.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  10:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely Spectacular!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  10:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Frank took the words right out of my mouth.
And he didn't even ask!

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  3:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm going to be back viewing these shots several times. Beautiful trestle, handsome engine and just wonderfully work and results.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  4:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl and Bill!

I’m happy you like it Andre! You humble me comparing. Frederic is an inspiration for me too. I had my givens and druthers when designing the layout. First I wanted floor to ceiling scenery like John Allen had but it was impossible in the space I had when there were other stuff I wanted incorporated. The cool picture I found on the Internet. It was scanned from a copy of MR.

Thank you Mike on the kind words. The rock work has been a chore as I ran out of ideas and rock molds to give a non-repetitive look. I have my reservations at the moment on how high up the mine decking will come. The hopper I’m building in the challenge thread will determine the height of the ore bin and consequently the mine entrance and decking. Hmm sounds like a backward way to do it though. In real life I’m certain the entrance came first.

Thanks Frank and Greg, means a lot to me coming from you.

Thanks Bob! And I really liked the switch stand. I did it a little differently than you had as my PSC stands are made of brass. I removed the old brass sign and glued on yours instead.

Håkan

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  4:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A visual treat to watch over and over.
ed

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  5:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Hakan! (How do you and Mike H. get that linguistic symbol above the first "a" in your first name???)

Humility...

You are a humble person, Hakan. Yet, your work is emerging as TRULY EXCEPTIONAL within its genre. Very few of today's modelers take a creative "fanciful" approach to their modeling. Many are modeling more contemporary scenes (complete with graffiti on rolling stock/etc) and striving for that elusive "realism" quality that no layout can truly be. Yes, model photography can make model scenes and subjects look "realistic" (provided the modeler's/photographer's skills are up to it), but a layout as a whole, can never be "realistic"... for it is a layout.

Frederic...

Yes, I hope to glean/learn from his scenery and backdrop work by studying his pictures more carefully when that phase of my layout nears. That is why all of my "inspiration" folders exist: To study them to get an idea of how the modeler got the effects they're getting, to get new ideas, etc. I have several "inspriational" folders, and like I said... one with your name on it! (BTW: All of those last photos of yours went therein, too.)

Givens n' Druthers...

Ah, to have unlimited space (and funds and time to go with it!). When I mentally envisioned my "Colorado & Pacific", I too, saw vast canyons, towering peaks, sprawling towns... then reality sets in. From your statements I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

My mental visions took a second hit when I realized that what I was designing was going to fill my space with layout to the point that my work area and storage suffered, as well as the potential for designing a layout I couldn't realistically get reasonably completed in my remaining years. Thus, like you, I have had to scale-back on my scope (Givins n' Druthers) from what I originally envisioned for my projected layout. I now have a "Version 1" track plan. Next I will be sketching ideas to see how they might look in 3D, and I will also be making cross-section scale drawings to see if the idea(s) are actually feasible. In the past, to-scale cross-sections helped me catch wishful thinking vs reality before the lumber was cut! So, all layouts have their compromises. Therefore, we all do the best we can with the space we have and what our abilities will allow.

John Olson...

Ah, yes, John Olson! "Back in the day", I remember how John O's work was pretty much overshadowed/over powered by the preponderance of Malcolm's articles/etc that were populating the model press during that time. However, John O's scenic work is second to none. He is very, very creative and is a master at coloration and texture.... and his work was what... nearly 40 years ago??

I would love to view John's Mescal Lines work again. (It's been decades and I wasn't into that type of modeling then.) I may need to learn what model press mags his works appeared in and start trying to find them on eBay or sumpthin'.

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000