Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the links, Frank. Paul Scoles layout is fantastic and a major inspiration for me. I especially like his big tree grove and his methods on making scenery. His modeling and weathering is very much to my liking and I inspire to hopefully one day achieve something similar. Don Ball and Craig Bisgeier does amazing work and I keep looking at their homepages from time to time. Dons locomotives and rolling stock looks great, especially his passenger cars.
Other inspiration sources for the time period are the work of forum members like Dave Emery, Bob Harris, Doug Coffey, Greg Rich and Bernard Kempinski although Bernard models the civil war.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 06/30/2012 5:49:01 PM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  1:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't tend to post much these days but I've been following this thread since it started and am incredibly impressed with your work. Amazing! Always looking forward to more.

-Cody

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  3:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Cody for the kind words,
It has been awhile since I posted an update so I'll see if I can post one in a day or two.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  2:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
It took longer than I thought before I could post some progress photos. The work area on the layout has been a mess with lots and lots of containers with landscape material so it had to be cleared before I could take some photos.

I have been working on the background and the big trees grove area. In the area I have a fast running stream which has been a little of a headache on how it should be done. I tried various techniques with clear silicone, gloss gel and gloss varnish and tested those on some mockup stream beds but I was not entirely happy with either of them. But I settled on a method with many layers of gloss gel mixed with layers of white to get a frothy feeling. I have just poured the first layer with gloss acrylic varnish as you can see on the pictures. It looks bluish but hopefully will dry clear.
Crossing the stream will be three bridges, the first one a stone bridge combined railroad track and a dirt road. The second above from that is the mainline to Dunsmuir which rides over an ordinary trestle. The third one will be a timber cribbed bridge for my 8% grade logging track.
I have tried to give more thought on how the landscape looked before the railroad came and worked a lot with cuts and fills.

In the big trees area I painted the background first and tried to get the feeling of a dense foggy forest. The trees were painted in layers getting the trunks and foliage darker and darker as they came closer to the viewer. I have tried to mix color of the green foliage so it will go together with the model trees. The trees is tough to make but I have made around 12 trees up to date. Only about 40 more to go. I'll also try to make a few cedars and dead trees for some variety.

Thanks,
Håkan

View from the entrance to the train room.

Around the redwood grove area. The station will be called "Cathedral". The future depot will be placed approx. at the bottle.

Around the corner with the background in progress.

The stream. I'm probably working a little backward with the building of the bridges. If the scenery looks a little wet it is because before I took the photo I just have put on some grass and glue.

A picture showing hopefully a little what I'm trying to achieve with the redwood grove. The contrast of big trees and tiny trains.

Dunsmuir station 1889 with a local coming in.

Edited by - masonamerican on 09/23/2012 2:46:57 PM

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It is looking gorgeous Håkan.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  7:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Hakan, you did get the big trees tiny trains feel here !

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  8:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent back drop Håkan.
You're making great progress.
I do want to drop my fishing line into that stream too, but I 'm afraid my line weights would just bounce off its surface.

It's going to look beautiful when you're done Håkan.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/23/2012 8:33:02 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  8:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WW! Shaping up beautifully ... really like how you're doing "test shots" of each scene as it develops ... you're obviously headed in a really, really good direction with things here!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  3:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug, Martin, Bob and Dallas. Many thanks for the kind words!

Bob, if you had thrown in the fish line yesterday it would not have bounced. Not sure what the catch would have been though

Håkan

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  3:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tree background painting. Looks like you had lessons from Bill Alexander and his "happy little trees".

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  3:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Nice tree background painting. Looks like you had lessons from Bill Alexander and his "happy little trees".

Thanks!
I had no idea who Bill Alexander was until you mentioned him. But I googled him and he sure knows how to paint!

I have posted a picture of the future "Cathedral" depot that I will scratchbuild. I found a nice picture in a book I have on Train depots and Roundhouses. It will be a little shorter compared to the photo but will otherwise have the same configuration. No semaphore though.

The main reason for its existance will be taking care of vacationers coming to drink water from a local spring.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 09/24/2012 3:59:12 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  01:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Bob,... Not sure what the catch would have been though
Håkan

Catch!? Come on now Håkan, Fishing, like Golf, is just an nice excuse to take a nature hike.

The Station is a excellent prototype. I look forward to seeing your model of it.

It's only make-believe

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  4:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by masonamerican

The main reason for its existance will be taking care of vacationers coming to drink water from a local spring.

Håkan
[/quote]

Hello Håkan,sorry for not chiming in sooner, on your excellent scenery work that you are doing.
And this station above that you are going to scratchbuild looks like another winner!
I love the shaped slates on the roof, or are they shingles?
The place is called Cathedral and the visitors come to drink the spring water.
So...I guess this water must be Holy water then.

Greg Shinnie

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  4:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan
Your layout is really looking good. I like your scenery.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan your doing a fantastic job with your layout it has become a real pleasure to read through. It will be interesting to follow your building of the train depot.

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000