Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  11:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan;

I will have to try that. I messed up a slew of decals trying to get it right, and finally just gave up, as I couldn't figure out a solution.

I like yours, so will try it!

Thanks!!

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  3:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, it has been awhile since I posted! Doesn't mean I haven't been modeling though.

I have finished the Bachmann locomotive as you can see from the pictures below. I hope you like it. The cab came out as I hoped for. On the downside I didn't manage to remove the piping completely over the running boards which is really noticable. I must take that as a lesson for the next project to find a better method removing them. I'm contemplating adding a layer to the running board which will thicken it but also hide the excess piping.

I have also noticed something strange. I have when testing the loco and adjusting the decoder done it with Soundtraxx programming booster in line with my DCC system. I have it running smoothly and took it to the mainline to give it something to pull when all of a sudden it ran all jerky. I checked with other locos but they ran fine so finally I connected the booster to the mainline and it ran fine again. Well I contacted Soundtraxx asking them if it was possible to have the booster directly connected to the mainline but that was nothing they would recommend. As I'm no DCC Guru I'm at loss to what to do. The only thing I can think of is that my DCC units have an old software version which need to be updated. As I have a Roco system I found out I needed a new z21 unit which can be connected to the computer for updates. A sour expense which would have been more fun to spend on more rolling stock but alas what to do . And I doesn't even know if this will remedy the jerky running.
The only fun thing though is that I will be able to run the trains using a Iphone or Ipad

On the layout side I have started on my large wood trestle. In the beginning it was kind of fun making all the legs but then I came to applying the NBW castings. Will take some time before it is finished.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/11/2016 3:53:53 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  6:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Another really nice locomotive. Hope the new unit gets rid of the jerks :)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  7:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That turned out exquisite! Superb work Hakan!

The pictures of your 4-4-0 #16 are duly saved to the "Hakan" folder on my hard drive!

Andre

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  8:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, your locomotive looks beautiful!
Your large wooden trestle looks like it's coming along nicely.
That looks like will be a great location for future photo sessions.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  9:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice loco Håkan!

Trestle bents look good too...
thanks for the update!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  10:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Your locomotive us a beautiful piece of machinery. I assume that as usual the photo accentuates minor problems because I did not notice until you pointed it out. I hope you get the running problem solved.

Trestles are impressive, especially large ones like yours, but construction does get a little repetitive at times.

Nice hearing from you.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  11:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, I just got back from the wilderness. Looks like you've moved on a bit from cozy. I Like the Engine. I like it a lot. She's a beaut. We've got to talk about decals. I was thinking about skipping the nut/bolts 'cause I "love" them too and many trestles builders used nail spikes instead but the trestle looks so much better with the nuts/bolts. When I get some rest I'll email you. what did you use for Russia iron again?

Edited 10/13/2016 22:30

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 10/14/2016 01:20:21 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  11:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, sorry being late in answering. Sometimes it is hard to even get some time at the computer.

Thanks Bill, the unit has arrived and I hope to have it up and running this weekend.

Andre I’m honored!

Thanks Greg and Carl, the trestle is much more work than I imagined but I hope to have it finished for Xmas.

Thanks Mike, I’m happy you like the engine. It will be a favorite and I’ll paint and decorate another of my Bachmann’s the same way. The trestle is a chore. I’m waiting for more lumber and NBW:s that are on its way from Black Bear.

I’m happy you are back Bob from the wilderness! It is still cosy but I manage to squeeze in some modeling time. It has also been much to do at work for a period but it seems like it will lessen slightly. The Russian Iron is the Model Master Metalizer gun metal mixed 2 to 1 with stainless steel. I airbrushed it on as I usually do but on the frame I brush painted it. It is near impossible to get an even coat but I somehow managed by flooding the area with paint and then not coming back with brush. I think it looks better that way then keeping it black.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Guys,
Well the new DCC unit came this weekend but after installing it the loco still runs jerky. After some thinking my other Econami equipped loco doesn't run that well either. So I swapped the tender with one of my other Bachmanns to test and it now runs beautiful. So what I now will do is to transfer the built in decoder from the other Bachmann to my newly painted tender.

Another problem emerged with my new z21. My three PSX-AR auto reversers don't trip before the z21 unit does and thus causing a short. I have tried everything and got some advice from Tonys but to no avail.

The only cool thing right now is to run the trains using the cell phone.

After examining the photos of the Innsmouth I decided that the boiler needed more attention concerning the removed piping. So I stripped the boiler back to bare plastic. No problem as all the parts were easy to remove without damaging something. To do a better job I now have sprayed it with grey primer to better see the leftovers from the piping.

To be continued...

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'll be happier that you didn't settle for less.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  9:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, It's inspiring to see your willingness to redo what doesn't meet your standards until it does meet them.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  9:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

It is with great humility that I once again have waited far too long to see all of your excellent modeling. Can't wait another day to see eye candy like this.
Rich

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  2:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys!

Well this has taken time as the new coat of russian iron failed miserably. Probably due to brain damage I somehow started to buff the paint before it was completely dry. The instructions states 10min but I started right away. How smart was that. Well the surface took on a nice prickly look. I dosed it immediately in mineral spirits which removed the metal color almost completely. Well the next coat was also a complete misery as I had notched up the compressor to 3 bars which gave the boiler another nice surface resembling 60 grit sandpaper. Argghh....into the mineral spirits once more.

Well the story ended well as the last coat using 1 bar pressure came on well. I usually put on the Metalizer with that pressure. And I waited 10-15 min to let it dry.

Here is the end result which I feel much more happy with. I have managed to get rid of almost all of the piping using a small sharpened screwdriver as a chisel together with sanding using 800grit paper.

I also added a crew. The engineer called Half-face Nelson actually started his career as a seaman. That career took a abrupt ending after a tavern brawl in Yokohama with a unemployed Samurai. Guess how he got his nickname. Well ok he is made from a Preiser figure which wasn't the best to come from their factory missing half his face. But he looks quite good when not in close-up.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  2:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Half Face, hugh, I'm still laughing.
The engine looks fabulously wonderful. On the old Bachmanns the running board was attached to the bottom part of the engine casting shell. I didn't notice the difference until you posted the picture of the stripped shell. Well we all know how to remove the piping now. Thank you for blazing the trail.

Again she's looking good, now go get some more cozy time.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000