Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  5:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think having a few nearby trees us an issue with small sawmills. Here' an example:

http://blackdiamondnow.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5513924e688330128778c0201970c-pi

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another: (let's see if this link works.)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.big-creek.com/files/8813/4489/7254/9_-_First_sawmill_in_Waddell_Canyon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.big-creek.com/about-big-creek/history/&h=384&w=560&tbnid=t6FyNZVOLM99FM:&docid=BjVdFavrDcv8AM&hl=en&ei=FUEUVsq5B8aF-gG4w5zYCQ&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CDAQMygSMBJqFQoTCIqY0vDorsgCFcaCPgoduCEHmw

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  6:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful scene. And I like the trees right where they are.

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  4:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys!

Mike thanks for the pictures. I'll keep my trees around the mill and probably make some more to add around the area. I'll also add some more stumps.

The jill poke arrived today (Many thanks Bob). It looks great and I probably will use it as is. It is made to be animated but I'll pass on that.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  4:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was fast. And you're welcome. I'm glad you like it. I know you'll put it to good use.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  3:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I don't think having a few nearby trees is an issue with small sawmills.

Mike

I don't think anyone was suggesting, and I know I certainly was not, that trees in, or around the actual mill were an "issue". I think it was more a case of loggers are, like all other humans. Why start with trees a block away, when you can start with the trees right here. Besides, isn't this where we want to "build" the saw mill? And, won't we need wood to accomplish that? Well then, lets start by cutting down these trees right here first! Then, we can use some of the stumps as foundation for the mill itself. That will save us a lot of extra work, because we won't have to dig holes, to plant timbers as foundation, we just use the cut off stumps.

Make sense now?

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  4:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does Horse and I agree with you. Its just my pond is mostly surrounded by rocks and it looks a little to barren without them. I hope I haven't offended you as that was not my intention. I'm very grateful for all suggestions and ideas I have received from you and the other guys. I feel my modeling has very much improved by interacting here on the forum getting information and sharing ideas. So please keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  1:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan;

You have not offended me at all. I understand that you have concerns about the "barrenness" of the area around your mill, but honestly, wouldn't that be more historically accurate? Yes, no doubt someone can post a picture of a small mill, or even a large mill literally surrounded by tall trees. Regardless, most mills would not have been, at least after some time operating.

As an example, if you ever read the book "Set up running", one period when the main character was laid off from the PRR, he took a job as a logger. That hill top, is still sparsely covered, about 100 years after the mill ceased operations.

Find the areas that were logged back in the day, when they clear cut, and then did not replant trees, and you can still see the footprint of those areas. It is really only the last 40, to 50 years that selective logging, and mandatory replanting has been the practice.

that was my real point, no offense was taken from anyone by me.

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  04:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is most logical. As this is a fairly new mill the area should have been fully logged. When interviewing the boss of the logging operations why these trees hadn't been taken down I got the following explanation that I the General Manager had chosen such a difficult spot to build the sawmill on so they used the trees to ease the raising and construction of the mill. When the mill was up they were kept as it was difficult to cut them down without damaging anything. Then he said. But don't worry boss, when we move the mill after the area is logged out we will cut them down for you.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/10/2015 04:27:00 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  09:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

That is most logical. As this is a fairly new mill the area should have been fully logged. When interviewing the boss of the logging operations why these trees hadn't been taken down I got the following explanation that I the General Manager had chosen such a difficult spot to build the sawmill on so they used the trees to ease the raising and construction of the mill. When the mill was up they were kept as it was difficult to cut them down without damaging anything. Then he said. But don't worry boss, when we move the mill after the area is logged out we will cut them down for you.

Håkan

Hay! That works for me. Be sides, they look good.

From Carson City,Nev.

It's only make-believe

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  11:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Horse said: Why start with trees a block away, when you can start with the trees right here. Besides, isn't this where we want to "build" the saw mill?

Horse, maybe those are my trees and I don't want to sell them to you.

You can't harvest what you do not own.

My blog:
http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  2:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
I've been sittin' in the weeds over here, admiring your craftsmanship.

I like the trees, they soften up the harshness of the rock faces. In fact, if this masterful scene were residing on my railroad, there would probably be a few more trees involved.

The way I see it, the sawmill owner is leasing this prime spot with the property owner's stipulation that the trees stay! It was a good deal for both the mill owner(near the rail head) and the cash-strapped property owner; who loved the spot where many years ago, he and his beloved had their first fling.

Greg R.

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  4:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

OK, OK, the darn trees can stay.

Mutter, mutter, I knew I shouldn't have taken this darn job on the Planning Commission, when the Borough Council offered it to me.

Mutter, mutter....

LOL

Horse

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scene looks spectacular. Nice work on the water color with the boards submerged showing through.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  5:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys for the kind words! Bob would be fun to hear a report later from you on the V&T conference.

Horse, the Council very much wish you to stay on as adviser. The advise has been very useful.

This afternoon I have finished the pond and now I'm waiting for the paint and glue to dry. Tomorrow I hope to do the pour.

Thanks Lynn. I have added more shadows. Will be fun to see if they at tall are seen when adding the water. The darker parts painted is supposed to look like submerged logs. Not sure if submerged were common though.

Here are some more pictures. I have rearranged the trees a little and added some tree stumps.

Håkan

Page: of 89 Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 4.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000