Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  6:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan;

That is great, look forward to the pics of your new innovation.

Horse

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice video of a steam saw mill, including some shots of the mill pond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvurSjBVW8

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  1:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, that Phillips brothers sawmill is fantastic! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Håkan, looking forward to seeing some photo's of your water in your mill pond.

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  3:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, that was a fantastic video! Great to see a real sawmill also using a winch to bring up the logs.

Greg the day is coming closer and closer. It is like a toothache and soon I can't postpone any longer

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 09/30/2015 3:13:57 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is getting nearer and nearer to the epoxy flood. Tonight I making the last scenery adjustments to the area with some added greenery. I placed some trees around the mill just to see how it looks without gluing them down. It is not logical to have the trees as they probably would have been logged but they look good I think.
I have some stuff to do yet. One of them is to add a jill poke much thanks to Bob (Thanks!) who had a spare one I could buy. It is in the mail right now crossing the pond. The Atlantic not my pond

To be continued.........

Håkan

Here are some pictures. Does the scenery look strange its that its still wet from applying matte medium.

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/04/2015 3:29:21 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  6:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hågan,that is looking soooo good.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  11:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan;

I think it looks great! Really impressive.

Yes, I agree the trees right at the mill sight would have been the first to go, and probably would have been used in the construction of the mill buildings, etc, itself. Stumps would be a nice touch though. Also, consider setting tables around the stumps, as the millworkers would use them for breaks, lunch, etc.

I am sure it is in your plans, but a heavy bumper (probably out of wood, filled with dirt) at the end of your loading track to prevent cars from drifting off into the mill pond. Of course, if you had a car that you built, but it got messed up, and you didn't want to repair/rebuild it, you could have it submerged IN the pond, as a wreck, that then led to the building of the buffer.

Horse

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  12:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CavalryTrooper25

Håkan;

I think it looks great! Really impressive.

Yes, I agree the trees right at the mill site would have been the first to go, and probably would have been used in the construction of the mill buildings, etc, itself. Stumps would be a nice touch though. Also, consider setting tables around the stumps, as the millworkers would use them for breaks, lunch, etc.

I am sure it is in your plans, but a heavy bumper (probably out of wood, filled with dirt) at the end of your loading track to prevent cars from drifting off into the mill pond. Of course, if you had a car that you built, but it got messed up, and you didn't want to repair/rebuild it, you could have it submerged IN the pond, as a wreck, that then led to the building of the bumper.

Horse

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great to me Håkan !

Time to pour or spread!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Your sawmill scene has been giving me a number of ideas. My layout eventually will also have a small sawmill, no pond, close against the side of a mountain(hill). there are also a couple pine trees still standing nearby, despite the logic that they would likely be gone. What are the over all dimensions of the sawmill structure (not counting the log hauler).

Edited by - Bill Gill on 10/05/2015 1:41:56 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, Carl, Horse and Bill!

Horse, thanks for reminding me. I had the bumper on the list but forgot it while ballasting. Nevertheless it can be mounted afterward. On the trees I think I have to keep them. The area looks so barren without them. Like the lake at the gates of Moria in LOTR

Carl today I poured my small stream below the dam. Most of it ended on the floor. I thought I had sealed everything but boy was I mistaken. The epoxy sure finds the smallest crack. It was only a small amount of epoxy so it was of no economic consequence. I hope the epoxy fills the crack so I next time can pour without leaks.

Bill the mill is approx. 4x11 inches excluding the log haul.

Håkan

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

Mike

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  11:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny how liquids always find the only leaks you missed.

Horse

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  2:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy, this looks good mate !

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  5:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to think of something to say but all the superlatives have been used.

Looking forward to pictures of the big pour.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000