Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  5:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Horse, I took a look and googled bank barn and they look very sturdy indeed.

I have spread the further apart. I'm trying to keep the roof light to match the structure below. Despite that my LPs laying the roof went out of material so some more have been ordered from the Lumber yard.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  1:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's amazing how much wood our little building eat up. At least with the mill you have some pace to use/store all those bits of cut off scrap wood.

It's only make-believe

Tom Coletti
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  12:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sawmill's looking great! A quick search of old dilapidated barns turned up some neat results:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fFGfFgibDyw/UCMvsF9MYsI/AAAAAAAAAGI/2ihylHyeJvs/s1600/untitled-0078-7-1.jpg

http://www.sustainableheritage.fi/courses/images/themes/WoodenRoofs/NoviaUAS_WoodenR_CIMG0023.jpg

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does indeed Bob. And me being a cheapskate didn't buy enough the first time.

Thanks Tom for the kind words and the links. I have googled after plank roofs and haven't come up with much so it was most helpful. The shingle roof seem to have been more common then the plank roofs.

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  6:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tom;

Your first picture is definitely more a western style barn. The second I am not positive about, but I would guess New England, or perhaps mid west where many Scandinavians settled.

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  02:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second doesn't seem to be from the US at all as the webpage is .fi. I agree Scandinavian origin or could be also from the Baltic states. Here is a picture of an old farm house with plank roof from Sweden.

http://www.hembygd.se/myssjo-oviken/files/2012/06/201105_hs09_Hakag%C3%A5rden_b900ChB.jpg
Notice the plank gutters.

On roofs. We have a summer house (my grandfathers farm house built around 1900) on which we recently changed the outer roof. The outer roof was tile but below it there is still the original roof from when the house was built which is a wooden shingle roof. On older photos of the farm one can see the original shingle roof. A funny thing is that the house is a built from a mix of old and new building material. We had some years ago a house preservation expert visiting looking at some structural issues and he commented that many of the beams in the basement (where they were easy accessible) came from much older buildings. Also the doors between the rooms in the basement he judged where from the 18th century. His explanation was that one at the time reused material from older houses that was torn down to save on building cost.

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  09:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan;

In spite of what some environmentalists think, recycling is not a new concept. My current house, built in 1917, was mostly built using lumber from a bank barn that had been built in the 1850s, and dismantled in 1915. When I first moved in, before I knew that fact, I was storing stuff, and noticed the large size of the rafters in the attic, and was wondering why the builder used such heavy rafters. A few years later, a neighbor explained that both my house, and the next one west of me were built from the recycled lumber from the old barn.

I remember one summer, my paternal grandfather had my cousin, and I carefully dismantle an old chicken coop, stack the lumber neatly in piles, sorted by size, etc. Then grade, and level the site where the coop had been, so as to eliminate the former fox tunnels. We then filled the area with crushed stone, tamped it, and poured a concrete pad. A week later, we built the chicken coop back, right on the same spot, only now it had a concrete pad to prevent the fox from eating OUR chickens, and eggs. Wow, recycling in the late 1960s, who would have guessed!

LOL

Horse

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

The subject of board and batten roofs on lumber mills and similar structures came up in a different forum. It is indeed hard to find pictures and some of us suspect they occur much more in the modelling world than the real world.

Whatever you decide, that's a real nice model you're building.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  7:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

My last post might have come across as too negative. Another explanation for the lack of photos us that the smaller, more temporary sawmills had the board and batten roofs, but they would be less likely to have been photographed.

I do think it unlikely that barns in the US. meant to be around for a long time had that kind of roof because it was important to protect the contents and the structure itself. (Ok, I'm ready for the onslaught of photos to prove md wrong.)

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  8:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just googled "pioneer sawmill" and got two photos and a drawing of sawmills with this kind of a roof. I don't think they would of been used on a barn other then a homesteaders first crude livestock cover.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/28/2015 8:50:12 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  9:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

We're going to have to call you the Google-meister. You hit paydirt with your search.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  2:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When one find the right search words its like Pandora's box opening. No problem Mike and thank you for the kind words on the build. Today the lumber arrived so my small LPs could get back to work. The roof got finished together with a fire boardwalk with barrels on.

I have noticed that on some models there are planks laying horizontally on the roof.

What are the purpose for those?

Thanks
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 07/29/2015 2:47:44 PM

Tom Coletti
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  3:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! I really like the Boardwalk, too. Gives it a nice finished look and a bit more character.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  4:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George Sellios makes great kits, but I wouldn't cite something you see on one of his kits as necessarily representing prototype practice. George has been known to take substantial liberties to get the look he wants.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  4:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Dave said. Maybe, on a steep roof in an area with heavy snow, you'd see planks running across the roof to keep snow from sliding suddenly. Maybe they'd be placed to provide footholds for people working on equipment on or above the roof. But mostly they'd catch leaves & dirt and cause rot & ice dams.

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000