Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  1:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Horse for the ideas and for posting the pictures! It has given me some great input and got me (pond)ering

One strange thing. In your first try posting the pictures I used an Ipad and could not see the pictures. Now I'm home and at the PC and now I can see them.

As I'm home I started on the souped up sawmill. I have got some great input from Bob (Thanks!)and I'm now building a longer deck to get proper workspace for the LPs. I will also build a pointed roof much like the FSM kits and have it open above the log bed. Above the log bed I'm thinking of adding a A-frame to help moving the logs. Other changes is rotating the engine to give more space for the roller bed.
Here is a picture of it so far.

As I and my son has been away on a small holiday I thought I show some pictures from a museum railroad we visited together with a pictures from a visit to a Wild West theme park we have here in Sweden. They had some replica stage coaches which I think looked quite nice.

The locomotive is a narrow gauge (891mm) 4-6-0

In the railroad museum I found a picture of this strange Baldwin imported to Sweden 1900. Note the smokestack.

Replica stagecoach

Well the Wild West show had a railroad going around the perimeter together with holdup and shootout. The equipment left something to be desired but it was a real steam locomotive pulling.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  2:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sawmill looks better already! Lots of room now.

Looks like you boys had fun on the vacation. They did a great job on the Stage Coach and the horses look great, are they animatornics?
I've seen worst iron horses. They're good enough for Hollywood.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  05:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, we had. Well they run on steam anyway. The locos not the horses I mean. The horses are probably driven on oat.

The locos are actually from Poland and have a wheel arrangement 0-8-0 and run on 750mm gauge so they are as far from a 4-4-0 as they can be. But the kids love them anyway.

I made some progress yesterday and made the roller table. I used brass tube and rod to make the rollers and laser cut the axle bearings. I mounted them on a wooden frame as can be seen in the photos below with a spacing of 4'.

I also started on the roof. I kept the ceiling low as it otherwise wouldn't have worked with the back wall. The drawback is that it will be hard to see inside. When I looked at real sawmills some had quite low ones so I don't think mine is too low. I also did a mock up of the A-frame above the log bed. Or should we say my interpretation of it. Feedback on the A-frame would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 07/22/2015 05:49:03 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice !

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  12:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks great Håkan. I'll write more when I get more time

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl and Bob!

Bob, please do. I need your advice on the A frame.

Håkan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  12:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, your new and improved upon sawmill looks like it's finally making the cut with your sawmill experts.
As your lighting expert, I sure hope it's going to be lit up at night when it's finished.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  3:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the crude drawing, but I think you can see what it needs;

Just a little support. Like half a bridge.
The post I added should be squared to the A-frame support and the front roof supports.

Don't worry about the rollers height. They should be a little higher but then they would be to high in relationship for the carriage. just use short LP for the Workers.

I hope this helps

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  10:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Håkan, your new and improved upon sawmill looks like it's finally making the cut with your sawmill experts.
As your lighting expert, I sure hope it's going to be lit up at night when it's finished.

Thanks Greg. I'm contemplating of using some Golden White LEDs that I have. As it was before electricity (1890-95) I'm not sure if the (Kerosene?) lights for the period was enough for the people to work under? Did they just quit working when the sun went down?

Many thanks Bob, crude it may be but I got the picture

The rollers are a bit low but they correspond to the carriage as you say. I would have to raise everything which is a little to much work. I guess my poor LPs have to bear the brunt and get sore backs instead.

Off to the workbench!

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  10:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I eagerly await the results! And usually the mill worked the same schedule as the loggers. Dawn to dusk, it was too dangerous without sun light.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  11:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, I 've been watching along silently, and taking notes for the small sawmill on my layout. Thanks for all the details of your construction.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  6:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best of plans......tonight I finally got some modeling time. Sigh!

Thanks Bob, my interpretation of your sketch below. I made some changes that made the A-frame more like a self contained structure in itself. I also added some additional parts to make it even more rigid I think. It is strange when one mount everything together how rigid it becomes, just as in real life.

Thanks Bill, it has been a ride which along I have learned a lot. I'm happy if you can use the information.

I also have started on the roof. It became a plank roof as it looks so nice. I have way to many shingle roofs so I thought I make an exception this time.
Not sure if the planks where laid side by side or had some distance between them to save lumber? In the photos I have some distance between them that will be covered by the outer plank.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  6:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea,you got the picture. Dee roof
were board and bats

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  12:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I got a more reliable internet connection;
The Mill, the "A" frame is really looking Good. The Roof was board and bat but the bats were a lot bigger that 2" across and the boards had a great verity of widths. A lot of good marketable lumber went into those roofs. But the early operations wasted a lot wood.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  10:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan;

I rent the upper part of a typical eastern Pennsylvania bank barn. While the original slate roof has long since been replaced by overlapping metal sheet roofing, the original support structure is still visible. The rafters are set about ten feet apart, with 4" x 6" beams connecting the rafters horizontally, about four feet apart. Laying vertically on the beams are rough 2x4s about four inches apart. All of this woodwork was done with mortise, and tenon joints, and wood pegs. Of all the joints, only three have failed in the over 150 years this barn has stood. The local Amish carpenters who made the repairs, carefully bored out the broken wooden pegs, bored the hole all the way through, and replaced the peg with a heavy steel bolt. I have been in this barn for over twenty years (it is where my military vehicle collection is stored), and it is just as sturdy today as when it was brand new.

My point is that the odds are, they would not have wasted too much wood, even though they could just produce more. A lumber mill cuts raw trees into planks etc, but then that wood would have to cure for at least a year before it could be used in a structure. Green wood can do very strange things, especially if you try to use it to make a building, IE, restrain it. So even if the wood used for your expansion was cut by your own mill, it would have needed to spend at least a year in a curing rack before it would have been ready to build with. As such, they would not have put it to close together, unless they were concerned about snow weight, and with the high pitch of your roof, that would not have been much of a problem. I suggest you spread your vertical planks farther apart, they are only there to give you some support, and a surface to nail into.

Horse

Edited by - CavalryTrooper25 on 07/25/2015 10:31:02 AM

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000