Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  4:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found some useful images googling " sawmill jacklift". Most mills in our era used an endless chain that had claws on it to grab the log and pull it up an inclined plane ramp.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  4:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, I'll try google that. I have found some sawmill pictures with the ramp. Is it plausible to think that a log haul is made up of the following?
-ramp
-chain with claws
-a pulley wheel below the water surface
-one pulley wheel at the other end of the ramp connected to a power source
-some guide wheels on the ramp for the chain to follow

Do you any ideas on colors for the sawmill equipment?

Thanks,
Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  6:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i get home I'll post some pictures of how I model one. But you got the basic idea. Á far as colors, look to the frames of your stream engine. The same colors were Common to all machines.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  01:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my model, please remember it's over 30 years I've learned a few thing (I like to think) since then;

The plan was for the 1x2 that is supporting the Jack-slip to go into a slot in the log pond and be about 1/4 inch below the pond's surface. The seam would be hidden by floating worker's platforms and a log just starting up the lift.
It is planed for this MIll to get the TLC and upgrading it needs but it is a low priority. I have some photocopies somewhere of a photo of an actual chain drive mechanism. Would you like me to hunt them up?

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  05:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob for you help. Those photos were great! That is some beautiful craftsmanship on that sawmill. I wonder one thing. Was the chain hanging free below the ramp or was it for the return also supported by pulley wheels?

Yes thank you if it is easy for you to find the photos on the drive mechanism. My sawmill won't be that easy to see all details on so I probably can simplify things. But I'm curious to how it looks and functions.

Thanks,
Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  11:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, there was a pulley under the water on the other end and another pulley that directed the chain from the drive mechanism to the tunnel that lead from the mill's basement to the log pond.
I'll see what photos I can find tonight. Unfortunately this research was done in the pre-digitail, pre-computer and internet days.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  12:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, found this, hopes it helps;

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  04:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob! That helps tremendously! A big thank you!

Håkan

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  10:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great diagram Bob.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  4:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thought I show some progress pictures on the sawmill. I have not done so much progress but the machinery is taking shape at least. The castings in the Keystone kit is great and need not much cleanup at all. I have contemplating which colors to use and I went for a dark green close to Pullman green on all the equipment the idea being that the management bought everything from the same supplier to have the mill up and running quite quickly. As the sawmill will be quite new and only year or two in operation I'll weather the machinery moderately with not so much rust but more filth and oil deposits.

As the place it will be mounted on the layout is quite hard to reach I'm building it on a base so I can make everything at the workbench and then mount it on the layout. Yay my first diorama

Håkan

Sorry about the quality. I tock the photo with my Iphone which has limited depth of field.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  5:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry,I get when I see that you've posted. I like your color choice. The mill machinery is looking sharp. I build all my major structure on a foundation so it can be easly moved.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  5:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Håkan,

Those machines look nice. I lke your choice of green; looks appropriately Victorian.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  6:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you can unglue the log carriage. As you didn't leave room for a log on the carriage.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  2:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob and Mike!

quote:
I hope you can unglue the log carriage. As you didn't leave room for a log on the carriage.

Bob, I have seen that. The Keystone castings is one piece. I can't move it back to give room for the log. I guess they are on the last plank. I need to add the hook.

I would have liked it more like this:

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a bummer! Can you rebuild the carriage? Cutting off the blocks and build a new frame?

It's only make-believe

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000