Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

Seca River Matt
New Hire

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  7:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan,

Backtracking to your British Export of 24th December, I may have found a glimpse of a "prototype". And it borders on California...
http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/mex/id/2198
(from Southern Methodist University's Digital Collection)

Actually the Old Mexico images are interesting on that site:
Double-Headed Mason Bogies...
Narrow-Gauge Delights (FC Interoceanico was 3')
And lots and lots and lots of very lovely-looking Fairlies (sorry, did someone mention Fairlies?) on some very-spindly looking viaducts...

Best wishes and eagerly awaiting your next update.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  8:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan always enjoy catching up in your thread. I really like the look of the old mining loco. Back in the early 90's I worked underground in a gold mine and first job I had was running a tram line and the engines on each end of the train were battery operated, you bring back some nice memories.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2015 :  05:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Matt, that was some great links! The loco pulling the Raymond special looks similar to my model with those slanted cylinders. I can't discern what the wheel arrangement is but it could be a 4-4-0. It looks quite strange with that large cowcatcher in the front. Just the look I'm after.

I happy you are passing by Linn and that the project brought back some fond memories. The project is a put little on ice at the moment as I have to finish some other projects. I also have got a flu which I recuperating from so there has not been any modeling the last week

Håkan

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2015 :  10:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan,
I have been hiding in the weeds over here and read that you're "entertaining" a flu virus.
I think that I can speak for myself as well as many others when I say, "I hope you're feeling better soon".
Kind Regards,
Greg R.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  4:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, I'm feeling much better. It is this time a year in Sweden when people here are the most sick.

Håkan

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  11:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hakan, VERY NICE. I followed the link from Greg Shinie's posts on Magoun Pier where you will have
a sailmaker's shop. Congradulations!!! and a job well done to you.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  1:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Bob! And thank you for your kind words on the layout.

I must say that I was deeply honored to have a building on Greg's fantastic Magoun Pier named after me.

I hope to have something to post this weekend. I have been plastering and painting mountains so much by now that I have nearly hit rock bottom

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 04/01/2015 1:35:46 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But mudding* is fun

* what professional drywall installers call tapping drywall over here. And what I spent the morning doing.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  3:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm...sounds a bit muddled.

I hope it works out great with the mudding!

Happy Easter!
Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  6:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

But mudding* is fun

* what professional drywall installers call tapping drywall over here. And what I spent the morning doing.

Ugh! I think I'd rather spend a day at the dentist!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  9:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
muddin' is the fun part. its the sanding that kills ya.
hakan (sorry, i don't know how to make the thingie above the a), you do fantastic work. you're really giving troels a run for his money. like the coast line rr, i keep going to this thread for inspiration, learning, and just because i enjoy your pics so much. great layout in all regards.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  01:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Håkan, My muddin' is working out but Kevin is right, the sanding does kill you.
And Dave, don't be such a stick in the mud. Ever boy likes to play in the mud

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 04/03/2015 01:09:15 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  10:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife and I both learned how to do wallboard taping, but not how to do it well! I'll still consider a day at the dentist.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i hired a buddy to drywall and tape my garage (a couple of houses ago) and he showed up with a tool drywallers call the "bazooka". he had my garage fully mudded in less than an hour. sanded it, and did another coat. sanded it, and was out the door within 4 hours. had i done it myself i'd probably still be working on it.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  3:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin for the kind words!
I agree sometimes its better hiring the job. I remember some wallpapering a couple of years ago. 3 rooms with mudding took the guy we hired one and a half day. It probably would have taken me weeks

Now over to something completely different.....
I have started on a new sawmill kit. Its a Keystone Danby kit that I will make some changes to so it fits a location on the layout at a pond. I'll make a log haul that transports the logs up from the pond. I have started on the foundation but stopped as I need to assemble and paint all the castings. What I'm wondering is how the carriage and machinery was painted?
I have googled on sawmill pictures but everything I have found is old, worn and rusty. My guess is that the machinery, carriage etc came painted from the manufacturer. I want the equipment moderately worn as the mill just have a couple of years on it and the equipment was bought new.

I also can't find any good information on the log haul. Are there any manufacturers out there that makes log haul parts in HO?

Thanks,
Håkan

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000