Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  08:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful job Håkan.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, so sharp Håkan. A Jordon wagon?

It's only make-believe

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  09:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rslly enjoying the thread. The layout looks absolutely great.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

scott
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really enjoyed reading the thread Håkan on your C.F.& N co. Great job on the layout. I'm differently looking forward to see more!!

Scott, from the wilds of Carroll County, Ohio

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  1:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is beautiful Håkan,
I am inspired! Now when I wake up on Saturday, I will work full force on my layout. I hope... Friday is a late night as we have operations on the Monon until 11:00 pm. I will be a yardmaster on Friday night. It will be busy for me no matter which yard I get to run. Sigh. (but it really is fun )
Thanks very much for posting your progress and regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Hi all, it is a little bit quiet on the forum these days. I guess spring has finally come and the outdoors is beckoning.

I have made some progress since last posting but not much. Some progress photos can be seen below. The scenery and ballasting around Dunsmuir is nearing completion. I have been skipping ahead starting to make trees for my future big tree grove.
Also I have been remotoring and painting a Empire Midland PRR H1 2-8-0 of which in the future I hope to post some pictures. I have installed a ESU sound decoder on it inspired by Gregs fine mogul rebuild.

Happy modeling

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  5:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the kind words!

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Thanks Bob! It is Jordan straight from the box. Probably got the steering tack(?) all wrong as I'm no horse person. I plan to add lots of various wagons to the scene and the layout.

Does someone know of a good source besides Jordan for HO scale horse drawn vehicles? It would be nice with some variety.

Thanks,

Håkan

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  5:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderfull layout Hakan, see you still have a lotta trees to build...

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  5:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,I just descovered this thread on your beautiful layout that you are building.
In regards to your question about other wagon manufacturers,first one is an American outfit called www.musketminiatures.com has some metal wagons that they offer.
Here is one example that I built a few years back.

And also a Canadian company called "Imagine that" www.imaginethatlaserart.com also offers a couple of laser cut wooden kits like this one.

I have not built the wooden ones offered by Imagine that yet, but thought it was cool to have a wooden kit.
Hope this helps!

Greg Shinnie

Mountain Man
Section Hand

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  6:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pity you couldn't have found a reason for a freelance interchange with the Yreka and Western RR, which normally interchanged with SP at Montague.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  8:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Thanks all for the kind words!

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Thanks Bob! It is Jordan straight from the box. Probably got the steering tack(?) all wrong as I'm no horse person. I plan to add lots of various wagons to the scene and the layout.

Does someone know of a good source besides Jordan for HO scale horse drawn vehicles? It would be nice with some variety.

Thanks,

Håkan

The harnessing looks good to me Håkan. I'm not a horse person ether and honestly, I don't think I want to be. I thought hanging belts in my shop was tough! I don't think I want to play with HO harnesses.
On other wagon sources, In addition to the additional sources that Greg mentioned there is also http://www.g-m-e.com . None of these are as good as Jordon's when it comes to hardware detail as none are sprung. But many wagon weren't. Do not overlook Jordon's other freight wagon. The Budweiser Set has another style wagon, the load of beer can be left out and best of all the Clydesdales. A most freight wagons don't require Eight horse teams some of these horses can be used on other wagons for verity. You can also take the roof off, lower the sides of any of his delivery wagon or add sideboards to his buckboard models.

Don't let your heads swell now but, I find myself going back and reviewing your tread about once a week. Your rolling stock and motive power is just very inspiring. And the fine built layout is coming along super. I do have one complaint; You're too neat just

It's only make-believe

gregnarrowgauge
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  11:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan, you could also try outback models in Australia....
http://www.outbackmodels.com/

Greg.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  12:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wonderfull layout Hakan, see you still have a lotta trees to build...

Thank you Martin. Many trees I must build. I feel like a lumberjack already

quote:
I have not built the wooden ones offered by Imagine that yet, but thought it was cool to have a wooden kit.
Hope this helps!

Greg Shinnie

Thanks Greg. Nice wagon! I have some figures from Musket miniatures but I have missed that they have wagons also. I have never seen this manufacturer "Imagine that" before. The kit looks quite neat.

quote:
Pity you couldn't have found a reason for a freelance interchange with the Yreka and Western RR, which normally interchanged with SP at Montague.

One never knows what cars comes through on the SP interchange

quote:
The harnessing looks good to me Håkan. I'm not a horse person ether and honestly, I don't think I want to be. I thought hanging belts in my shop was tough! I don't think I want to play with HO harnesses.
On other wagon sources, In addition to the additional sources that Greg mentioned there is also http://www.g-m-e.com . None of these are as good as Jordon's when it comes to hardware detail as none are sprung. But many wagon weren't. Do not overlook Jordon's other freight wagon. The Budweiser Set has another style wagon, the load of beer can be left out and best of all the Clydesdales. A most freight wagons don't require Eight horse teams some of these horses can be used on other wagons for verity. You can also take the roof off, lower the sides of any of his delivery wagon or add sideboards to his buckboard models.

Don't let your heads swell now but, I find myself going back and reviewing your tread about once a week. Your rolling stock and motive power is just very inspiring. And the fine built layout is coming along super. I do have one complaint; You're too neat just

Thanks Bob for the kind words, much appreciated. I can imagine that mounting the belts must have been tough. The end results is great though.
I have to confess I have been a long time very afraid of weathering. When I look at a model I build a couple of years ago there is way to little weathering on it. I now go over these models again with more weathering. Someday hopefully I have found a "good enough" level. Thanks also for the link to the lasercut wagons. This one I also had not seen before.

quote:
Hakan, you could also try outback models in Australia....
http://www.outbackmodels.com/

Greg.

Thanks Greg, this one I also have not seen.

Håkan

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  3:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, just catching up on you thread and I noticed your Drawing Room Car, amazing. I am by no means an expert, but I grew up ing a large house with a Drawing Room. Not sure if you know the origins of the Drawing Room or not.

Cheers, Heath.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  3:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, just catching up on you thread and I noticed your Drawing Room Car, amazing. I am by no means am I an expert, but I grew up in a large house with a Drawing Room. Not sure if you know the origins of the Drawing Room or not. My father explained the purpose of the room was where hostess and her female quests could withdraw to after dinner, leaving the men to enjoy their cigars and port, and discuss politics. In the Drawing Room the ladies could enjoy their sherry and cigarettes and later be joined later by their gentlemen.
Thank you, I did not know that this type of car had existed before. What a truely Victorian car and now I'm trying to figure a way of incorporating one into my roster.

Cheers, Heath.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  4:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Heath, this type of car was also called Parlor car or Chair car. I quote from the 1888 Car builders dictionary:
'Drawing-room car. A luxurious passenger car for day travel, furnished with arm-chairs, sofas, carpets, etc. An extra charge is usually made to passengers who travel in them, and they run by separate companies like sleeping cars under contract with the railroads. Also, and perhaps more commonly, termed parlor car or chair car, which see; sometimes extravagantly palace car.'

I very much like the term "palace car" which gives a feeling of how richly decorated passenger cars were in this era both on the outside as in the interior.

I'm not sure the use was the same as for the drawing room in a house. A little more like business class in the Victorian era. The name perhaps refers to luxury as the drawing room in the house also is one of the more luxurious rooms. Maybe someone on this forum know more?

Here are some links to various sleeping car companys that also had drawing room cars, one among them Wagner:
http://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/woodruff-central_transportation.htm
http://midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/pullman1.htm
http://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/wagner.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/windy_valley/1974659199/

The last link is a link to Webster Wagners old house which is a real gem although now in very bad shape.
Would make a great scratchbuilding project!!

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 04/12/2012 4:43:09 PM

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000