Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  12:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg, yes I'm planning a small harbor in Innsmouth. I have bought some sailing vessel kits among them a Pyro Skipjack which I will try to make to look more Westcoast. But I'm a mountain range away from the harbor at the moment so it will take awhile until I'm there.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  06:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, here are some progress pictures from the layout. I have started on the mountainous area and the progress has been slow due to the time it takes to compose the scenery and cast the rocks. I guess its a little like the prototype as they also slowed down reaching the big hills. I have specifically been working on a junction and the depot to be placed there. Its made from a Rubble depot kit from Thomas Yorke (Deben LLC) and it is on this kit I have made a new roof. The old roof was cast in resin and looked great but was oddly enough a little small to the fit. I should also have filed on my end walls and adjusted those to fit the roof. I tested to late in the building process and as grand finale for the roof was that I cleaned the resin parts in denatured alcohol which warped the pieces. So I made a new roof in styrene with the width between the standing seams of about 22". I looked at photos on copper roofs and tried to make it as close to reality as possible and still fit the building.
I have tried to paint it as a roof that has been in place and aged for 15-20 year. The depot is not quite finished and I'll install some GOWs and weather the buiding and roof before I install it. The roof particularly looks a little to uniform in color.

The depot will be situated between the tracks and I have made a larger platform that consists of a stone wall with a fill of gravel. The top of the station platform and in between will be filled with dirt.

The depot platform looks awful I know but will be filled over with dirt.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 09/07/2014 06:41:38 AM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  07:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that station

How do you blend the rock castings together? They look seamless.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  08:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent job coloring the rock. Looks very real.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  08:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Neil and Michael!
The rock castings are very big to begin with. I saw this work as impossible using the small WS molds I had and the rockwork would have been very repetitive. I bought some molds from Bragdon and they come in various size with as big as 14" long. After I have applied the mold and removed it I use small bits and pieces of rock castings together with Sculptamold to fill in between them.

Thanks,
Håkan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  09:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done on your rocks and the station, Håkan...

Very good photography too, as usual!

A pleasure to follow your work!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depot looks splendid. I like the roof. The whole scene with the bridge and it's abutments is shaping up super.

It's only make-believe

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  11:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
You ARE a man of many talents! This new rocky section is quite a counterpoint to the section of the layout with all those towering trees!
Well done!
How's that engine running?

Greg R.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  12:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Håkan !!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  1:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,great looking rock work! Great looking depot with it's copper roof with patina!
And always photographed beautifully!
Though I'm not as enthusiastic about the idea of the platform around the depot being filled in with dirt.
Couldn't you just add wooden decking right over top of this whole foundation,completely covering it and the plaster platform.
You could still see your nice stonewall foundation from the sides all around it.
Just a thought.

Greg Shinnie

Seca River Matt
New Hire

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  3:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely stunning.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  5:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful mountain landscaping, Håkan!

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  6:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

I have started on the mountainous area and the progress has been slow due to the time it takes to compose the scenery ...

Holy Smokes! You are doing an AMAZING job on the "composition" there ... some really dramatic and inspiring scenery with a wonderful "mood" or feeling to it. Fabulous!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  8:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan...
I haven't had any time to view your fabulous build on this layout lately, but it is coming along very well.
Thinking on what Greg Shinnie said, regarding your Rubbles Station, about using wood to completely fill over the foundation, and your wanting to fill it with dirt, can I suggest that you could do both? I had a similar situitation when pondering what to add to a boardwalk at the front of one of my builds. The cast plaster wasn't all that great, so I used glued on stripwood over the plaster, and it was a lot easier to weather and it looked 100% better. Then, you could make a descending incline platform leading to the ground, where you could place dirt cover. It is just a thought. Whichever way you go, I'm sure it will be a focal point on your layout. You do great work and I am impressed.
Rich

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  03:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl, Bob, Martin, Matthew, Frederic for the kind words!

Greg R, thanks. The engine still runs great, knock on wood. I have bought some small Tungsten pieces with which I’ll see if I can approve the adhesion even more.

Thanks Dallas, the composition is the hardest part. Sometimes it feels a little too much that the bench work and rails came first and that I’m building the landscape around it.

Thanks Greg S and Rich! I’ll contemplate making a decking instead. But I think the gravel/dirt will look very nice too.
Rich I have as you also tried Troels method with tape harnesses. It worked great and I’ll post a photo of my wagon when it’s finished.

Håkan

Page: of 89 Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000