Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2014 :  6:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking caboose, Håkan. I see the brakeman has seated himself next to the smoke stack to get some warmth in that breezy location.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2014 :  6:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As unlikely as it might sound for the crew to ride on the caboose, the photos of your model make it seem quite realistic and plausible. I formally, officially, and forever withdraw my earlier skepticism.

Great modeling.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  3:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George and Mike! I have also been a skeptic since I first read the article but after Dons photo evidence I'm now also a believer.

Håkan

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  3:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool this guy on the roof, shure is an eyecatcher !

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Or a flycatcher in the eye,depending on where your seat is.

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  3:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin!

quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Or a flycatcher in the eye,depending on where your seat is.

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  6:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, long time no see!
The activity on the building front has been low as I have been busy packaging kits. A little time to modeling I have got though and I have inspired by Don Balls blog and wagon builds finally finished a Jordan stagecoach. I'm not sure I got all the harnessing right though as it has been difficult finding good resolution pictures on the internet. As I have a freelance layout I thought the area is served by Wells Fargo & Company so I painted and lettered it for them. The painting on the side became a little rasterized but I think overall it looks quite good. I wanted the second driver to have a shotgun as they are transporting valuables. It was tricky finding a suitable figure but scrounging the figure stock I found a figure from Blue Moon that actually is for wargaming but modifying that and together with a driver made from a Preiser figure the stagecoach now have a competent crew

My next summer project is a beautiful kit from Silver Crash Car Works of a Colorado Midland Waycar that arrived in the mail yesterday. Below is a picture of the kit laid out on my worktable. It is mostly resin and will make a small Waycar or Caboose with a Bombay style cupola. I have waited eagerly for it and it will be great fun building it.

I have also enclosed a picture of my latest modeling help. She comes by the name of Molly and is great at kitbashing!

Håkan

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  6:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool kitty Håkan !! Pm me please looking for resellers..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  6:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LHlJSBkg0

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  10:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharp little red wagon!!

Don't feed it to the cat. Though she is a cutie.

It's only make-believe

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  01:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very fine wagon indeed! The harnessing doesn't look quite right though.... I'll dig up some reference photos of mine. Or you could take the time to enjoy some western movies, Stagecoach comes to mind :o)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  01:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a quick look at a scene from Stagecoach... and each horse is rigged like the one in this photo:

The horse's power is transferred from the collar through the diagonal traces. Reins from the horse, and the horse in front pass through rings on the collar. Here´s a drawing:

The horse pairs are held together with lines on the front.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  04:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin! Your grass pastures looks fantastic.

Dave. Guess we take ordinary mail service very much for granted these days.

Thanks Bob. Oh she most certainly would like a bite from that. But she is quite calm. Although still being a kitten or young cat she doesn’t tear everything apart around here.

Many thanks for the input Kirk. I don’t know anything about horses and wagons so your help is most welcome. I tried to see parts of Stagecoach on Youtube but it was near impossible seeing anything from all the hopping. After studying on the internet and your pictures made me I realize that the Jordan horse is missing out on some details. I have missed the part that the trace hangs in near the horses behind. I have placed the trace like it showed in the instructions. Interesting is that on the photos in the links below the strap is missing altogether. I also now see that the trace should be in a straight line up to the collar.
On the reins to the horses in front I have found photos showing that they were lead through a collar on the horses head, see links below:
http://www.washoe.k12.nv.us/americanhistory/elementary/si_07_jpegs/Thrower_Humboldt_Stage.jpg

http://socalenduro.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/eight-stagecoach.jpg

Håkan

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  04:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, your links made me study some more... it would seem that the ost common rigging of the reins was though a ring on the inside of the bridle of the horses in front... here's a link to a guy with harness models, and if you click on the photos you'll see this elegant detail clearly:

http://benscustomtack.com/packs/collarteamharness.htm

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  05:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. That is some beautiful work and detail! In the photos the ring is hanging by the horses ear on the side. I think I have fooled myself. I studied one of the photos in the links I enclosed before and it seems like the horse on the left has tangled one of the reins above his head so it looks like its between his ears.

Or it could be that the ring is actually between his ears. Perhaps they used different rigging on the horses.

On the other photo it look like the rein for the second horse in front is through a ring at the side and the other rein for the third horse goes in a ring between the ears.

My guess is that there was a lot of variation and anything that worked was used.

Håkan

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000