Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Page: of 89

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  7:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking sharp

It's only make-believe

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  01:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan,
Nice looking caboose! I can't help but reflect on a similar build that I did back in 2009 or so.
Special Thanks to George D. & Jeff B. for your help in locating it for me
I don't want you to think I'm trying to Hi-Jack your thread, but I've included a link to that build. If you can find something of use in there,fine. If not, that's fine also.
As I like to say,
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

Kind Regards,
Greg R.

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  01:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DuHH!,
It must be getting late, & I should probably post the link

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  01:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think fingers are dancing a little too quick on the keyboard,

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25442" target="_blank"> http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25442

Greg R.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  5:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg for the link! That was also a cute looking Caboose and very well built! The top Brass Hat though forgot to show any pictures of how it looked finished

The thread awakened me to that I had not thought to much on the beams below the car so I have added some rudimentary beams. As it is freelance I didn't change the wheel frame to look like the D&H car. I have tonight nearly finished the steps and handrails.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 03/30/2014 5:07:06 PM

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  8:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
You're right by golly, there are no finished pictures. Sorry!

I've attached a couple of her on her maiden voyage over the rails.

Here she is with her big brother #5, standard AHM bobber.

Thanks for the opportunity to show off my girl!

Regards,
Greg R.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  02:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Greg, Very fine cabooses. Håkan, love the steps, How do you manage to bend the brass supports so perfectly?

It's only make-believe

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  08:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh wow, you have some great skills there Hakan.

I'm assuming the bobber-type caboose was more common than the larger truck/bogie-type?

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg for the photos. That is one sharp looking Caboose! Nice to see the size comparison with the AHM caboose which felt small to begin with.

Thanks Bob, they are not so perfect if one scrutinize them in close up. I soldered first the wire to the brass plates. After that I just bent them using a regular flat nose plier and taking care that each "leg" became as long as the other one and 90deg to each other.

Thanks Ross, I'm sure no expert on Cabooses perhaps someone of the more knowledgeable guys know the answer? My preference for the Bobber is that they are cute and short.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  6:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Bobber is nearly finished, just a few adjustments then its off to the paintshop. I soldered a seat for the roof together with a chimney. I'm thinking on adding ladders at both ends deviating from the No 10 drawing as I feel a bit bad for the brakeman as sitting on top of the car exposed to the elements isn't enough, he also has to do some difficult climbing to reach it

Håkan

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  10:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
I like the overall look of the car you're building. The end platforms and detail, fit well and have the proportion of the real thing. You don't often see a builder taking the time to fabricate platform steps.
That bench/stool on top of the bobber sure would be a breezy ride on a cool rainy day.

Greg R.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  03:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!! I want to use the "C" word too, but won't.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  4:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg! I got the handrails a little to low I think.

Thanks Bob, "C" word? I hope it is not insulting

Painting it was not as easy as I first thought. I had glued on the windows with the thought to have the body and windows the same color red but looking at the Bobbers on John Otts site I changed my mind to paint it yellow with red trim. I should have decided the paint scheme before I mounted the windows and doors as they now were a pain to paint. I tested various reds and yellows on some scraps before I decided on Polly Scale special oxide red and ATSF Cat whisker yellow. The photo below shows the painted car so far with decals added. Time flies as my decal sheets now about 4-5 years old had become quite brittle.

Håkan

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  8:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
I like your color scheme. I a refreshing change from the traditional red. Do I see 4 colors there? Counting the ? white ? under the end platform hood?

Greg R.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  11:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,great work once again!
I bet the poor employee who rides on the roof,will be the future inventor of the covered cupola,and end ladders.

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000