Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  9:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the station is looking good Hagen

It's only make-believe

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  11:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haken,

Your railway is fantastic, and I spent a couple of hours just gazing at the fine modeling you do. Railcars, structures,a nd scenery are breathtaking.
AND< photography...
Rich

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  1:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob!

Many thanks Rich!
On the depot, we will see if the ticket counter will fit. There is only half the space available :-). If it doesn't I'm sure I will find use for it in another building.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 02/05/2014 1:02:25 PM

WorldSteam
New Hire

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate looking at your work on your layout. I was wondering if you could advise me on a few things for my similar projects? Where did you get the headlight bracket for #3 The Seminole? If you had it made, where can I purchase one? Do your Balboa 4-4-0's have sound? Did you re-motor them or use the old open frame motor?
Thanks

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  3:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WorldSteam

I really appreciate looking at your work on your layout. I was wondering if you could advise me on a few things for my similar projects? Where did you get the headlight bracket for #3 The Seminole? If you had it made, where can I purchase one? Do your Balboa 4-4-0's have sound? Did you re-motor them or use the old open frame motor?
Thanks

Thanks Worldsteam!

The headlight bracket I made myself from thin brass from which I photoetched the bracket. So it is not commercially available. I did not put sound in it only a decoder. I remotored it and put a NWSL motor with flywheel in the tender instead of in the loco. I also mounted a NWSL 36:1 gearbox in it. By moving the motor to the tender I was able to squeeze in a large amount of lead in the loco to help adhesion. I did not put a LED in the headlight which I have regretted but hopefully one day I'll do it.

Thanks,
Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  6:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I thought I show some progress pictures on how things are coming along. I have worked on my challenge project half a depot with interior that is placed on the narrow shelf part of my layout. This is a rather boring area and I thought a depot with interior would lighten it up a little. To complete the challenge I'm nearing completion of the scenery and ballasting on this part and I have started to paint the rocks on the mountainous parts. Here are some pictures of the area together with the depot and the first train pulling into the station. The lake I painted on the background and the perspective works well when coming from the aisle for a medium height person but if one lower oneself or looks from another direction it looks quite strange. I have to remind me not to paint a similar motive again.

I also have experimented some with the background at the station with a building cutout to hide some of the most hideously painted trees on the background.

Next on the agenda is to make some more large trees to hide the backdrop with.

Here the lake looks out of perspective.

First train.

Mr. McCulloch and the station agent is gossiping over a cup of coffee on how large a trout the agent caught the other day. Meanwhile in the waiting room the agents cat Blackie is trying to get the attention of old Mrs. Mueller who is waiting for the next train.

Happy modeling!
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 02/23/2014 6:45:54 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  7:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Nice! looking sharp Håkan. Blackie is a nice touch.

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason, I thought your station was going against the backdrop. I like the way you are using it. It's a unique way to view the scene.

George

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  1:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob and George! George, this project has been out on deep water since I started but hopefully it will come out well with some scenery and more trees flanking the depot. The depot will also be protected by a piece of Plexiglas.

Håkan

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  1:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, now if only I could convince myself my modelling skills are that good.

Really like the depot, its nice to see an interior of one being modeled.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  2:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Plexiglas is a good idea Hagen. So would extending the arm of the trainorder control (or get the shorty a ladder).

ROSS, remember the three "P"s, Practice, Patience and Perseverance, Says I, as I try and catch up to Hagen.

It's only make-believe

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  12:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Beautiful work! In this shot, there's no hint that the factory is a flat and the station is half open. Wonderful.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  4:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ross and Bob, I'm happy you like it.

Bob, after using a stool the agent got tired and aquired a piece of pipe with the right inner diameter to slip over the end of the control. That made life much easier for him

Many thanks Dallas! I think that will become a favorite spot photographing equipment.
The telltale of the narrow shelf is the tall trees on the background but by putting some vegetation strategically the "narrow trees" will be nearly invisible when photographing.

Håkan

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  10:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan
Your modeling looks Picture Post Card perfect!
If you've got an extra seat at your workbench, I'm comming over for some lessons.
Rich

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  5:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich! I'm sure I would learn more from you then you from me. Its strange when looking at the photos the scenes looks a little "barren". I must work on the detailing.

Håkan

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000