Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  4:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good mate !!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  4:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Håkan I think your backdrop looks beautiful!
For someone who is just starting out doing this kind of thing,it looks very professional!
Just Please! Don't cut your ear off and send it to me as a thank you.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  7:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's looking beautiful too. Quite spectacular even.

It's only make-believe

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  12:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed, a daring and successful backdrop painting effort! Beautiful.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  04:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys for the kind words,
it is strange, when painting and messing about it looks awful but after a couple of days it looks much better. I guess perspective is much depending on the viewers height in relation to the real 3D model railroad. The lake won't work when taking photos at track level I think.

Greg, an ear is in the mail

Thanks,
Håkan

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  06:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

I guess perspective is much depending on the viewers height in relation to the real 3D model railroad. The lake won't work when taking photos at track level I think.

Which is why one should always avoid having a horizon or something depicted in perspective (other that the distance/size relationship) in a backdrop... they only work from a single point of view. The horizon is always at eye level, so if the tracks are at eye level it is possible to make a convincing sea view for instance... but then you can't photograph from a higher viewpoint.

Nice painting!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  08:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, it looks fantastic!

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  4:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Troels and Mike!
Its fun to paint, another hobby within the hobby although I'm lightyears behind.

Håkan

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  4:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the backdrop.

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  7:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

I guess perspective is much depending on the viewers height in relation to the real 3D model railroad. The lake won't work when taking photos at track level I think.

Which is why one should always avoid having a horizon or something depicted in perspective (other that the distance/size relationship) in a backdrop... they only work from a single point of view. The horizon is always at eye level, so if the tracks are at eye level it is possible to make a convincing sea view for instance... but then you can't photograph from a higher viewpoint.

Nice painting!

Please Troels explain how you can avoid that...

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  01:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not easy Martin. First of all by keeping things simple. Distant objects in perspective are less of a problem than close-up. Buildings should be depicted end or side on, not at an angle. Hills, mountains or a row of trees to conceal the horizon. A hedgerow or shrubbery in the foreground will conceal a lot. If you have large structures og other scenic dividers on the layout they can be used as "side baffles" to restrict the possibility to view a perspective scene from other angles than the intended. Tall solitary coniferous trees will look terribly slim seen at an angle, while they will melt together better when placed in a group or forest.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2013 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn!

Thanks Troels for the explanation, I'll keep that in mind when painting.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  4:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
its been quite some time since my last post so I thought I show some progress pictures. There has been some activity both on the layout and on the workbench.

On the layout front I have been working on the background by painting some more mountains. I didn't like what I achieved before so I tried a different approach which I think came out better. This part of the layout will be more mountainous and with fewer trees (thank goodness!). As there will be more rocks and cliffs and as I'm fed up with the rock molds available from Woodland Scenics I ordered a couple from Bragdon Enterprises (Thanks Cameron for the tip). I must say that I regret that I didn't do that before as the molds make some great looking rocks. The molds also are way more flexible then the WS so it is much easier to apply the plaster castings in situ. They also are quite large so one cover a lot of terrain fairly fast. But before the landscaping begins I'm adding the foredrop as you can see on the pictures below.

The electrical and trackwork has been an obstacle for some time but now finally I have got the courage up to finish it. The goal is to be able to start on my seaside town of Innsmouth soon as I'm itching to do some maritime modeling.

Trackwork begun at Innsmouth.

Happy modeling!
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/06/2013 4:35:36 PM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  5:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woohoo, great !

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  6:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,nice to see this thread appear,back on page 1 again!
And even nicer to see your work continue,as you progress towards the water, at Innsmouth.
That will be exciting to see, what you do there!

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000