Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  6:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,

My vote is sign #2...

And that building is WOW!!

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  6:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would go for something in the middle of 2 and 4 but would ditch the black outline, go for the letter color instrad if you like it outlined.

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  11:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, my 2cts on the sign. Try red letters with a blue drop blocking. Use the building color as your backing color and lose the box but keep the other decorations. I would not put the sign on the top of the building but between the windows at the 1st/2nd story break, on the stairwell.

It's only make-believe

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  01:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Gregg on the black sign with gold leaf and red shadow, but otherwise nr 2...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  4:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The never ending SIGN story. I make a lot of fuzz about a sign...

Many thanks guys for the input that has given new ideas and tests. And some new grey hairs.

Greg, I’m very happy you did not keep your opinion to yourself as it gave me lots of new ideas.

Thanks Carl for the nice words on the building!

After some (a lot of!) computer work and printing I came out with three candidates, one with gold/yellow letters with red shadow on black, one with gold/yellow letters with red shadow on a darker green and one as Bobs suggestion (I hope I interpreted it right) but with a green border as it stands out better. After taking some pictures I must say that the big sign looks a little too much so I’m leaning towards Bobs suggestion and placing only a sign on the tower part. Or making it smaller.

Now I’ll sleep on it……

Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  5:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely the gold-on-black (last one).

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  5:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gold on black, with a gold edge / trim...

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  6:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave and Martin about the gold and black, but the black needs to be a faded black or a dark gray.

George

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  6:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,I love the last one!
And may the force be with you!When you decide!

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  04:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Guys, after a good nights rest I agree that the yellow on black looks best. To the work table!

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  06:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the yellow on black looks the best (and Victorian) too.

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  03:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vote for the last one too (and applause for the great work on the building).

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  11:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob and Frederic, it sure was a united vote.

I think I going for a decal as the print feels very "flat".

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  6:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
progress has been a little slow but now I have finished the signs and mounted them on the building. I made the large sign a littler smaller and after some testing I thought it looked nice with both signs on the building.

The signs were made of styrene sheet that I carved some grooves into simulating that they where made up of planks. I then made a decal as my paper printouts felt a little to "flat". I painted the sign first with black grey paint and then painted the border yellow. After that had dried I put on some gloss varnish where the decal should be to easier get it to adhere. The decals was then applied using distilled water. After the decal had dried I put on two applications of Badgers decal softening solution to get the air bubbles out and really get a snug fit. Then I put on some matt varnish and last some Bragdon powders for weathering. I think they came out well and the yellow/gold on black looks quite nice. I wanted a little more subdued yellow/gold but I could not manage it on the old dragon of a printer I'm using.

As the space for the factory was not ready I also got to work on the background part trying to paint some bushes and trees. The idea is to have "half" trees hiding where the building meets the background. I also got to work putting in some more track. I have a curve where I wanted some super elevation. Not sure how much this was practiced in the 1890s I only slightly elevated it. I have enclosed a link to a Youtube clip I made of the first train on the curve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_OtW5fpwY

Here are some pictures of the factory placed at the scene. Still a lot of work with the background and with the scenery but we're slowly getting there.

Weathervane from VectorCut.

Edited by - masonamerican on 08/07/2013 6:33:30 PM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think it looks good in the pictures, must be better in real !

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000