Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  9:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  02:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, hopefully the modeling will improve with time.

Rick,
quote:
I like that your weathering is minimal and correct for the time period you are modeling and everything doesn't look like it's about to fall down.

Weathering has been hard for me. Some of my buildings is depicted only 1-2 years old. A newly built house freshly painted can't have had too much weathering? I have studied my own house which was painted abt 3 years ago and it shows mostly splashes from the ground, some mold on the walls and streaks from overflowed rain gutters. No peeling paint yet for many years I hope.
Not sure what one used in the late 1800s, linseed oil paints? I know of a building painted 10 years ago with oldtime linseed paint and it has aged very subtle with no peeling paint but more of a oxidation of the surface. The surface is dull and when one touches it the paint rubs of a little like chalk.

CVSNE,
quote:
Bonus points for finishing the Master Creations kit because I know that they are not easy to build.

Thanks, it was a bit nightmarish to build but now all the layout bats have somewhere to live . The instructions were not easy to follow but the pieces fitted together quite well.

quote:
"Innsmouth" . . . hmm, you wouldn't happen to be a H. P. Lovecraft fan, would you???

Not really a Lovecraft fan, but when I was younger I played a lot of roleplaying games and read a lot of fantasy and horror among those Lovecraft. I liked the feeling in his books and when I was looking for a name for my harbor, Innsmouth is what first came to mind. But I have a weak spot for old Victorian houses.

Railman28,
quote:
Superb work Håkan. I really like the colors you chose for your engine house and of course the the construction is first rate. Your town scene is to very pleasant with again good choices of color made but needs a little chaos added as building were seldom laid out in straight lines.

Thanks. I think my colors should be a little more subdued. I followed your thread " The little house on the Slough" and I very much liked your colors on the house. Beautiful house. I hope one day to dare take on such a project as yours.

quote:
Are your coaches Westwood Kits? You did a fine job on them. Which I find very encouraging.

Thanks, the coaches are Westwood kits. I changed all the wood to styrene though as it felt easier to work with.

Thanks,

Håkan

swissrails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  10:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hakan,

Everything looks top notch--thanks for sharing. The build of the wax works is impressive and crisp- as is everything else.

Peter (swissrails)

http://www.randomrailroad.blogspot.com

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  6:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice scenes and models, Håkan. Congrats on your beautiful work.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  7:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice layout. The finished fascia and valance makes a very clean presentation. Did you paint the backdrop?

Bryan

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  8:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love the waxworks model! Keep up the good work.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  3:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank all for the kind words. I hope next time to be able to show it with more details. I'm moving towards my logging area so it will be much tree making in the near future. Paul Scoles has this big tree grove on his layout and I would very much like to have something like it.

quote:
Very nice layout. The finished fascia and valance makes a very clean presentation. Did you paint the backdrop?

Thanks, it gives a little picture on how it will look when nearing completion. I'm also planning to add drapes beneath the fascia so one will not see the benchwork. As the amateur I am, I painted the backdrop. As I did not know where to begin with for example the colors I had big help by Darrel Huffmans dvd on painting backdrops. But the pines still look a bit odd in my eyes odd so I'll have to work on these a little harder.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  08:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry it's, Darryl Huffman. Not Darrel.

Håkan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, I am enjoying your thread immensely.

Great modeling and great photos, too. Reading the 'back story' of the California Railway & Navigation Co. was enjoyable.

I'll be following along.

Geared Steam
Section Hand

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  1:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan
Awesome modeling and photography! If I may ask, I really like your engine house, is it scratch or a kit? If a kit, whom is the manufacturer?

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  2:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I really like your engine house, is it scratch or a kit? If a kit, whom is the manufacturer?

Thanks, it is a Fine Scale Miniature kit #35. I have modified it slightly substituting the loose stones that came with the kit and making a foundation using a plaster stone wall from New England Brownstone. The roof uses shingles from Wild West Models. I also mounted 4 lamps inside and some detailing. Otherwise it is built as per the instructions. I have not mounted the doors as this would make it a little difficult to see inside but it looks a bit naked without them so perhaps I'll mount them later on.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  6:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And though you don't seem to have a problem with it, doors on the engine hose will help with dust control too.

It's only make-believe

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  8:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good. How many decks are you building? Trying to build a 3 deck layout with a middle peninsula acting as an exposed helix. Always looking to learn from those who have already done it.

Thanks

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
How many decks are you building? Trying to build a 3 deck layout with a middle peninsula acting as an exposed helix. Always looking to learn from those who have already done it.

Hello, 3 levels sounds very ambitious. Is it a mushroom type?

My layout has only one deck with much of the trackage hidden from view in tunnels. The facia has hatches so I'll be able to access the hidden trackage. The helix is situated beneath the town of Dunsmuir but is easy accessible through a space behind and from hatches in the facia.

Håkan

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  7:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
I was just perusing some of the other threads and I noticed that you posted pictures of a very NICE Wagner sleeping car that you just completed. Could you please share some details with us on how you did such a magnificent job?
Greg R.

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000