Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  8:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Received it ?

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  03:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, the structure has come up great. Very American Gothic. I especially like the shingles and brickwork.
Also enjoyed seeing you holiday pics. Some very unusual engines there. Looking forward to more updates.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  08:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, It’s fantastic!!!!!! The color selection is perfect and the overall qualities are just stunning. It must have required great patience to do the shingles and it was well worth the effort.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  08:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great looking building, Håkan. I love those fish scale shingles that Walt sells, and you have colored them beautifully.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  5:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, you're right about a landing. I'll see if I could incorporate one. When I made the upper door I hadn't quite thought everything out.

Thanks Bryan, I'll have a lot of detailing and signs to do before it is finished.

Thanks Robert, I'm happy you liked it and the holiday pictures.

Thanks Frank and Bruce! The shingles from Rusty Stumps worked great and were easy to apply with their adhesive backing. The only time I had trouble with them was when applying the shingles at the corners. The adhesive didn't adhere so well to the painted shingles so I had to use some white glue here.

To be continued.....

Håkan

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  10:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very handsome structure!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  3:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much appreciated Dallas!

Been a busy day but I printed out two versions of the factory sign as seen on the picture below. I tried adding a red background for the letters to let them more stand out. I haven't quite received the effect I'm after. Perhaps other colors or more red in the background.

The sign will be placed on the top roof of the main building. The question is now which one to chose and how to make it look like a worn painted sign and not like a printed bit of paper?. Suggestions very welcome

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 07/28/2013 3:54:58 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  3:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an idea: Look through texture sites (e.g. http://www.mayang.com/textures/) and find a weathered wood texture you like. Then layer your lettering on top of that texture, experimenting with different transparency settings (so the underlying wood texture shows through the lettering.) That might produce an effect you like.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  4:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

The question is now which one to chose and how to make it look like a worn painted sign and not like a printed bit of paper?. Suggestions very welcome

Have faced the same issue recently! On the sign shown above, the sign board and framing around it were built and painted/weathered BEFORE adding lettering ... which was done with decals that were printed slightly "faded" (not quite black). Decaling notes and more info here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39547&whichpage=10

Hope it's helpful!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  4:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To answer your question, Håkan, I prefer the lower one.

George

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  4:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave and Dallas! Most helpful. That was one great looking sign Dallas, and with the look I'm after! Off course I have missed that thread. . Off for some experimenting.

Thanks George, I'll feel best for that one too.

Thanks,
Håkan

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  01:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, I like the sign with the small ornaments best... And it is really easy to weather a sign to any degree of of decay after printing... Light stippling with diluted acrylics, or some pastel powder and pastel pencils should do the trick... If you want I can show you the next time you come around...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  10:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Håkan, I like the sign with the small ornaments best... And it is really easy to weather a sign to any degree of of decay after printing... Light stippling with diluted acrylics, or some pastel powder and pastel pencils should do the trick... If you want I can show you the next time you come around...

Thanks Troels. I go for the one with the ornaments. And I would be very happy if you could show your techniques next time I'm visiting.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,
This is getting crazier and crazier. I googled some old time signs and noticed that the letter shadowing nearly always was on the left side. I also noticed that many signs had dark background black, green and red with white lettering. Red feels a little daring so I tested the sign with green. An idea is to have the green matching the green on my doors but a little faded. Roughly, the no 2 is the faded version and no 4 is non-faded green.
I could not find a single one that looked like my first version no 1 but the ones with white or light background looks very much like Dallas sign.

Håkan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  6:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,my first thought when I first saw your sign was,I think that would look better on a dark background.
I did not say anything,because you seemed to like the one with the white background.
Like Henry Ford once said,"You can have any colour you want, as long as it is black"
I think a sign with a black background and red & yellow letters over top of each other like you have them now on the bottom 2, would look better.
But that's just my opinion,that I have not kept to myself now.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 07/29/2013 6:13:55 PM

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000