Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  01:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great story and set of pictures, Håkan. Your painter definitely looks like someone I know...

ErikB
New Hire

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  01:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wonderful Håkan!

Looking forward to see all your new achievements IRL soon!

/Erik

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  3:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, and thanks for the suggestion with the benches. I sure also would have need of them as I’m no slim guy.

I have been looking for some delicate benches. Any suggestions where I can find some?

Dave, there is quite a resemblance. He just should have some more beard. I wonder who Preiser used as a model doing the figure?

Thanks, George! It was the leaves that nearly led to the disaster with the matte medium.

Thanks Bob, the ground cover looks a little better but I must learn to use something in the bottom other than the local dirt I have collected. And adding LPs are great fun. Will be a nightmare though when it comes to vacuuming later

Thanks Dallas. I wish many times that they in the 19th century had invented color film. Especially when it comes to the colors on the equipment.

Thanks Frederic, much of the joy besides the modeling is to fantasize around the people and areas.

Hi Erik and thanks, you and Mia are always welcome to come and visit. I’ll give you a call. For you that haven’t seen it Erik has a fantastic American layout set in the Midwest. He has a thread here:
http://www.motessparet.se/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1111

Thanks,
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 05/22/2013 3:50:54 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  5:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Thanks Greg, and thanks for the suggestion with the benches. I sure also would have need of them as I’m no slim guy.

I have been looking for some delicate benches. Any suggestions where I can find some?

Thanks,
Håkan

Hi Håkan,I was thinking just a simple wooden bench built along the railing, using the railing as a back rest.
I know SSLtd. has a very nice park bench (part no.650-2282) with fancy cast metal ends, if your looking for something better.

Greg Shinnie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  5:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Ensign on 05/22/2013 5:22:09 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  5:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea! Back to the workshop.

I'll check out those benches. Thanks Greg!

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  04:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
it has been a very busy start of summer for me with lot to do at work so the modeling has been at all time low.

With the time available I have finished my Arbour 4-4-0 and thought I would share some photos of it as it arrives on the layout. As usual my LP local newspaper wrote up a little story.

“This weekend a new locomotive was taken in use after having been refit and repainted at the local yard. It arrived some weeks ago on the Southern Pacific all the way from the East Coast where it had previously served on the Pennsylvania Railroad. Proudly posing in front of it are the assigned crew, Engineer Mr Jebediah Murphy and his fireman Mr Carl Svendsen together with their pet dog Cody.”

The Innsmouth Chronicle, 6th of May 1889

As usual not everything goes easy and I have had trouble adjusting the ESU select decoder to get the locomotive to run properly. Somehow the Back-EMF function didn't get the loco to run well so I have turned it off and now runs it on pure DC. The paint job is PRR inspired and I have used Vallejos acrylic paint most of the time together with Pollyscale. The decals are homemade in CorelDraw and printed on my MD1000.
The printer has some trouble printing very thin lines and sadly some of the striping is missing in places due to that. I didn't paint it straight black but mixed in about 5% white to it. 10% felt a little to much as it then had taken on a grimy look which I was not after as I wanted it to look fresh from the paint shop. I'll add some chalk weathering later on.

I hope you like it. Sorry for the bad pictures as the camera (Iphone) depth of field is very limited.

Thanks,
Håkan

Here are some more pictures in color plate

In the spray booth applying the brass for the boiler bands

The boiler unmasked.

Edited by - masonamerican on 06/20/2013 04:10:49 AM

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  04:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a jewel! Love these oldtimers!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  07:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! Just gorgeous.
What did you use for the Russian Iron?
You didn't leave the tops of the running boards Russian Iron did you?

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  08:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a beautiful paint job, Håkan. Mr Murphy will be proud to be seen driving that.

George

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  12:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a beautiful looking engine Håkan!
Nice work indeed!

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  4:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks guys! I'm very happy you like it.

Bob, I use Vallejos gunmetal grey. It looks very light in the photos but is darker in real life. The great thing about it is that after it has dried for awhile it can be buffed to get a better sheen. I use a cotton tip for this. Although the idea was tempting to leave the running boards russian iron I painted them a reddish brown.

Håkan

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  5:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Your new American exemplifies your usual excellent craftsmanship. Well done!

Now that two of the most used U.S. paint lines (Floquil and Pollyscale) are being discontinued, I'm interested in trying Vallejos as substitutes. The small bottles I've obtained, however, don't seem adequate for spray painting. Can you explain what you use, how you thin it, and at what pressure you spray it? Thanks.

Frank

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm back for thirds. The art work both on the tender and engine look excellent Håkan. I did notice the stripping on the headlight and the drivers. Is that your artwork or Microscale's?

On another subject; Where did you get the Hand wheel that you use on your turntable?

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  6:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also Håkan, What color, paint did you use on the tender?
On my monitor it's got some some blue and red in it that makes it looks like a very dark plume.

Again the engine looks just excellent.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000