Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  6:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
That boat was a butte!!! Too bad indeed you had to give her up but I can understand too why you did. Boats are a very time consuming passion. When you got a young family there is only room for one extra passion, IMHO.

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  06:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the shots of the whole scene on the layout, Håkan. It displays quite well the beauty of this area.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  06:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the new progress shot! This is becoming a very fine layout very fast!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  6:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is Bob! She still in my hometown so perhaps in a couple of years I can buy her back when I tire of the trains

Many Thanks Frederic and Troels! I hope you get your inspiration back soon Troels, I'm looking forward to the yacht build.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 05/04/2013 6:17:28 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  2:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,
yesterday bad luck and stupidity ruled in my basement and in building the "Tourist trap". Two times I managed to jump up on a stool without remembering the valance which after my head had hit it had some nice cracks and pieces of hair and scraped of skin on it. To do it once but I managed to do it twice.
Well by then I must have been a little groggy as I came up with the brilliant idea to add some leaves on and around my platforms. Then I sprayed everything with wet water and poured on some matte medium. And then I sprayed on some more water until everything was dripping.
What a brilliant idea!
I then went up and after awhile I got down again to look at my "masterpiece" only to discover how everything had warped and come unglued. What was I thinking, or not thinking??
I then spend up to 2 hours trying to fix everything. Happily I succeeded somewhat fixing and salvaging it all. The only thing that still is a little warped is the track platform but most of it is hidden behind a fence.
This weekend I hope it is so complete so I can show some photos of it.

This week I received my 3D printed truck with much anticipation. It looked great as I opened the box and after some cleansing and adjustment I managed to get the wheels in. I have made it for both 33" and 36" wheelsets but it was a little tight for the 36" ones so I had to do a little scraping. There was some issues that will be adjusted in the 3D model until I print the next set.

The paper wheel inserts did not come out 100% as they did not quite fit inside the wheel. Here some 3D adjustment also have to be made. Anyway I put everything together and painted it Grimy black. There are some photos below. The printing process is very clear in the surface. I'm thinking of ways to diminish it, perhaps with thicker paint layers or some careful sanding.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 05/08/2013 6:21:53 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  6:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The truck looks great. I'm going to want some!!!!

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  7:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! Also I hope the head is feeling better. As part of my re-build I moved the operators pit 5" to the left. I've already taken a few pieces out of myself and have the scabs to prove it. The dizziness doesn't last too long

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, the truck looks great. I believe 2 are in order.

dnaldimodaroloc
New Hire

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  7:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Haakan, the passenger trucks look great. I don't know whether you followed the discussion of 1880s/1890s passenger car colors on the other forum a couple of months back, but I have done a lot of reading on passenger car colors in the National Car Builder from 1880-1890. The color of the trucks is never black, it is always something we would consider too bright, e.g. bright red (this is the most common) or bright green. I think some red trucks would look great under your cars.
Keep giving us the updates. They are inspirational.
Adrian Hundhausen

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  03:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, the head is feeling better. I'm lucky hardened masonite isn't so hard after all I hope your "wounds" also are healing!

Thanks Frank, I could not complete the other truck as found out I had no more wheel sets at home.

Thanks Adrian, I missed that on Early rail. I must go back and look it up. The grimy black I put on just to see the detail as I did some dry brushing on it also. Bright colors you said, red sounds very nice. Was the wheels on the outside also usually painted in the same color?

Håkan

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  04:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, sorry for the head...
The trucks look very nice. It's amazing to see how modern technologies can shift the modelling process from something related to hand-craftsmanship to something much closer to intellectual craftsmanship.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, it sounded in my posting much worse then it really was Frederic.

This is a new media that is great to explore. But it takes many hours in front of the computer instead at the work table.
The DIY 3D printers are also coming down in price. I saw an ad for one in kit form for approx. $700. Although crude for HO work perhaps it could be used for the larger scales.

Håkan

dnaldimodaroloc
New Hire

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  3:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most extensive discussion of the red trucks is in National Car Builder, April 1884 p. 47. Describes trucks painted all red except for wheels and axles. Does not distinguish between front and rear of wheels. Apparently the red paint helped inspectors see defects in the trucks.

Adrian Hundhausen

GrandTrunk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  12:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>> The printing process is very clear in the surface. I'm thinking of ways to diminish it

It's visible in the close up photos, and it probably bothers you because you know it's there, but the overall look is excellent and I doubt you'd notice the texture when the truck is under a car.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  4:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GrandTrunk

>> The printing process is very clear in the surface. I'm thinking of ways to diminish it

It's visible in the close up photos, and it probably bothers you because you know it's there, but the overall look is excellent and I doubt you'd notice the texture when the truck is under a car.

Yes, on my monitor the image is a 3-4x enlargement. In the shadows of a Car painted in nice period colors I don't think it will at all be noticed.

AND; A brand new truck after just one mile in service is absolutely filthy. A little dry brushing with dirt and grime and those imperfections will look real good.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 05/11/2013 4:54:24 PM

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000