Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  06:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great video Håkan, nice slow rolling !!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  11:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the video you made, it gave a real feel of the ambience of your layout.
Can you tell me what make model etc is of that great looking engine?

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  11:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed your video Håkan. Your layout looks great.

George

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice videos Håkan,I watch the sepia version too!
Looks like you had to climb one of your big pines to get that trestle crossing shot.
And that caboose that's on loan from the G&D was a nice touch as well.

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  2:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Troels, I'm happy you enjoyed it!

Thanks Martin, I tried to keep the speed down so the Hobos could get a chance to jump on

Thanks Lynn, it is a Empire Midland Pennsylvania H1a 2-8-0 brass import. My wife refers to it as the loco from hell as it nearly drove me into a restraining jacket trying to get it to run properly. And right now I'm tinkering with another loco that if I don't get it to run well soon will be the loco from hell II.

I'm happy you enjoyed it George!

quote:
Really nice videos Håkan,I watch the sepia version too!
Looks like you had to climb one of your big pines to get that trestle crossing shot.
And that caboose that's on loan from the G&D was a nice touch as well.

Thanks Greg! The photographer was standing on the scaffolding for the new platform Heavens knows how he in 1893 could shoot it in colour. Or for that matter with moving pictures

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 03/17/2013 2:38:49 PM

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can such a great looking lokie not run right.

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  5:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Let me add my appreciation to those already expressed for your videos--and even more for the modeling they display. I am especially impressed with the looks and operation of the Empire Midland PR (aka CR&NC) consolidation. The pair I have suffered from poor original assembly and solder that seemed to crumble away, forcing me to redo many of the joints and tinker long and hard to get them to run reasonably well. As I remember, however, you even managed to put an Arbour Models Brooks 2-6-0 together and get it to run well. Anyone who can do that should be well equipped to deal with other infernal engines!

Frank

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  6:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn, it sure can. I bought it on Ebay and when it arrived it did not run at all as the drive wheels could not rotate. The quartering was all wrong and after a lot of tinkering both with the mechanism and fine tuning the DCC decoder it now runs quite well.

Many thanks Frank! I must admit though that the Arbour mogul at the moment does not run at all as the decoder has some issues.

The other infernal machine I'm working on is another Arbour locomotive, a 4-4-0 that I'm rebuilding extensively. I have made a completely new frame with a different suspension than an ordinary 4-4-0 model. This suspension has the front boogie fixed from swiveling from side to side and instead can only rotate. To be able to negotiate sharp curves I have let the front drivers take this movement instead by letting it move up to abt 1.5mm from side to side. This with some side movement of the boogie wheels lets it travel through 18" curves. And without the pilot traveling way out as usually is the case on a 4-4-0 model.
I'll post some work in progress pictures of it later as it is nearing bedtime for me.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 03/20/2013 6:32:35 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  6:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see shots of your work-in-progress 4-4-0. I'm not sure how this will work, so a photo of the swivel mechanism would help!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  12:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
I just spent some time catching up on your RR. My but you've come a long way! Things sure are looking Great. I like the station(s), the BIG trees, bridges, rolling stock and the U tube Videos. Did I read correctly that you're working on an Arbor Models Loky? Do you have any hair left on your head? I've never built one but from what I hear assembling all those cast parts and making a smooth running locomotive that stays together is a Herculean challenge. I think building your own new frame is a good start. I'm very interested as I'm sure others are also, in looking over your shoulder if you don't mind.

Regards,
Greg Rich

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  11:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, always interested in what people are doing with Arbour Models. I have a Sylvania Central 4-6-0 that I will be challenged with one day. I heard that I will want to make new side rods from brass , but I really did not want to build a new frame.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Rich

Håkan,
I just spent some time catching up on your RR. My but you've come a long way! Things sure are looking Great. I like the station(s), the BIG trees, bridges, rolling stock and the U tube Videos. Did I read correctly that you're working on an Arbor Models Loky? Do you have any hair left on your head? I've never built one but from what I hear assembling all those cast parts and making a smooth running locomotive that stays together is a Herculean challenge. I think building your own new frame is a good start. I'm very interested as I'm sure others are also, in looking over your shoulder if you don't mind.

Regards,
Greg Rich

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Dave, Greg and Vic!

And many thanks Greg for your kind words! I’m happy you came by! As to my hair there is not much of it to begin with so I got nothing to lose tackling an Arbour model

Here are some pictures showing the loco. The base is an Arbour 4-4-0 to which I have done a lot of changes. First the frame is completely new which I have made from milled brass with sides soldered on. The 66” driving wheels (Romford) are held with hornblocks in the frame with the first wheels sprung. An English Branchline 1:60 gearbox together with a Mashima motor powers the rear axle. Power to the front axle is through the side rods. The front boogie is locked so it only can rotate not swivel, se picture 1 below. It does not looks that way in the photos but the middle bushing is superglued to the boogie frame. This was only for testing and I’ll solder it in place instead. Please note that wheels on the boogie are too large and new smaller 30’ wheelsets are in the mail from NWSL. The front drivers can travel about 1.5mm from side to side, se picture 2 and 3 below. With this and some lateral movement for the boogie wheels it can negotiate an 18” curve. The whole loco rests on the rear drivers and the boogie. The suspension is on the sprung front drivers. The main rods are homemade and milled in nickel silver material. The pistons with guide are from a Mantua General and will be changed to homemade ones also in nickel silver.

The boiler assembly is built as the kit instructions with the exception that I have cut off the smokebox and changed the cab. The wood cab is tough to build and the plastic Bachmann one is very near the same size so I’m cheating here alittle. The white metal including the tender was soldered together with low melt 70degC solder.

As you all can see it is a lot of work still to be done. The next in line is to add the decoder (ESU) and the speaker in the tender and do all the wiring.

I hope you all liked the description and that my English was understandable

Thanks,
Håkan

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, great explanation & great photo's & great skills!
All demonstrated in one fantastic posting!
You make it look all so easy,but I know it's not.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  6:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOD JOB Håkan!
I think Arbour's cab is impossible to build myself and if I ever return to my two kits I will do just as you have. Did you try and mill the cast frame before discarding it? My thought was to mill Arbour's frame enough to take brass bushings for the drive wheel axles. What do you think?

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  8:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive craftsmanship, Håkan.

George

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000