Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  6:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice engine facility, Håkan. I'm looking forward to that water tower.

George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  6:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing I'd suggest is sprinkling cinders along the ballast, as I'd expect an engine yard in particular to get a lot of ash and cinders. The Cumbres and Toltec probably uses coal cinders for yard ballast: http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=1&with_photo_id=12083730&order=date_desc&user=2000083 Silverton yard on Durango & Silverton: http://www.olimpia.com/photos/Colorado07/DSNG/DSNG-Pages/Image127.html
Here's Steamtown: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmpowell/3943846440/lightbox/

Hope these give you some inspiration.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  10:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Håkan there's always room for improvement but in this case not much need.
So good looking (yes, oil, grease, cinders and dust are need in small quantities will improve things)

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, George, Dave and Bob!
Thanks Dave also for the links. I looked at the picture links and there certainly are a lot of cinders in the ballast. This I have to ponder as my coal burners are fairly new or converted so not much could have accumulated. The Cumbres and Toltec yard has a lot of black in it but in the pictures from the other yards the ballast has a more dark grey color to it. As my rails are all ballasted and in place I think I go for using some black wash together with some weathering powder to represent cinders and oil deposits.

Håkan

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  03:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this RR facility, Håkan. It's really well done and the scene is charming.
I had the same feeling as you about the grease and its lack, and am sure it has to be added, and yet I thought the overall cleanness gave the scene a kind of appeal we seldom find on real yards. The place where you would willingly spend some time. But it indeed needs it for realism...

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  07:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, your engine house and yard scene is coming together nicely.
I always enjoy seeing your progress pictures.
Thanks for sharing.

As you think, so will you be.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  5:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rick for the kind words!

Håkan

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  06:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan could you help me out please, thought the link to the custom decal site you're using was somewhere in this thread. Can't find or I overlook it...

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  08:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Martin, the adress is:
http://www.decalprint.de

Håkan

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanx Håkan

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  11:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your engine service facility looks great.I find you method of benchwork construction very interesting and may be something I can try on my next layout.

Edited by - LynnB on 02/05/2013 11:14:05 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  01:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn, its coming together piece by piece. Currently I'm building a water tank for it and after that its a Sequia sanding facility. Then hopefully it has everything needed.
The benchwork is the old trusty Linn Westcott T-girder.

Håkan

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  01:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Håkan, I take it there is an advantage to using this type of construction for the track work but is there any disadvantage when it comes to needed flat to semi flat elevated ground for say setting up a hilly town with multiple elevations or say for a wharf scene?

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  5:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynn, Sorry it is L girder not T girder. I think the main advantage is that it is very flexible. It is easy to vary the height of the roadbed and also to add ravine etc. I have on parts of the layout the L girder quite low to be able to have large vertical differences in the scenery.
To add a large flat area in plywood is relatively easy as it is only to add a lot of support columns 1x2 or 1x3 from the benchwork below. I think the disadvantage is that it is hard to add the foredrop.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 02/06/2013 5:07:25 PM

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Håkan I will have to see if I can purchase Linn Westcotts book to do some more reading, I think this type of layout may suit my needs a bit more although I do have con erns with a couple of my diarammas being around 24" long by 18" wide and how they would fit it or should I say blend in with an elevated track but I guess that would all be in the design. My layout is all flat top with woodland scenic risers and I'm thing the westcott method may be the new ticket.

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000