Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

belg
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  07:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Here is the direct link to Jos fantastic tree building thread.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23011

Cheers,
Håkan

I'm very aware of Jos thread here as I have asked several questions on it and have gotten plenty of help on it. I was looking for the Pics he mentioned on the German forum.
Just as an aside I got an virus alert when I clicked on the RR line link?? It was for a link to the two guys forum??

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  08:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking bottling plant, Håkan.

George

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  09:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,your giant redwood looks treemendous!
And your Cathredral Springs Mineral water Co.looks refreshing!
Happy New Year Håkan to you & your family!

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  5:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many Thanks All!

Greg, I wish you and your family the same!

See you all next year.

Håkan

Mountain Man
Section Hand

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  2:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely superb work!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  5:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mountainman!

It has been awhile since I posted something as progress on the layout has been a little slow. I'm working on my logging area so I have been busy painting up some logs and figures for this area. I have not finally placed the figures and some more detailing is to be done but I thought I'll show how it looks today.

The workers are busy hauling in a fresh log load to the landing when the foreman discovers a local "crazy" woodsman taking a free ride on one of the logs.

Håkan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  6:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! Local "crazy" woodsman, I'll have you know I resemble those remarks Håkan!
And I also take a free ride,whenever I see one.
Great scene shaping up there,I really like how your background blends in with the foreground.
It really has real depth to it,well done!
I have to go now & gather some moss & feed the deers.

Greg Shinnie

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all fun-n-games till someone gets a giant redwood splinter! Beautiful scenes ... and nice to have a little fun with it.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  03:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Real good looking scene Håkan ! Just wondering, whats wrong with the trees ? You mentioned it earlier in my greening topic..

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, I'll guess we all have a resemblence to something or someone
One of my friends thinks I look like a crazy train nerd.

I have a quite obvious flaw with the scene and that is that the log train come from out of nowhere a little as the train in the movie "Back to the future 3". But from normal viewing angle it is luckily not as obvious.

Thanks Dallas, I sincerely hope he don't get a splinter as the local surgeon also makes his normal living as the local butcher

Thanks Martin, It is the top 1/3 of my fir trees I'm not happy with. In HO my wire branches are so near each other in the top that when applying the second layer of grass fibers they get entangled with branches and fibers below and becomes less airy. I have tried separating the top 1/3 using 4mm fibers for the lower parts and 2,5mm for the upper parts. It got a little better but I think it will take some more experimenting. On the picture below I have succeeded somewhat on the left tree but not on the one on the right. I have on them used 4mm fibers for the first two layers on the whole tree though. Perhaps I'm using to much fibers.

Håkan

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  4:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use a small amount of 6mm on the first layer, like I'm using 12 for the 0 scale

from there on start with the 2 and skip the 4 I think, clean the wire branches near the trunk with a small stiff brush and turpentine..should look a bit like this after the spraypaint..

remember that less is more in this case..

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  5:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the tip Martin, I'll try that. You're absolutely correct that less is more. I have a nasty habit with my tree making to add too much fibers and turf to the tree.

Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  06:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again very beautiful and great modelling...also, already mentioned, your painted background! I like that "misty/foggy"atmospheric perpective!
About the top of your pine trees: indeed as you wrote use smaller/shorter grassfibers and, that is what I do, use finer turf. I have 2 strainers: both for adding the fine turf but one strainer is much finer than the other. The finer is used for the top branches and the one with the more open "gaps"is used for the lower branches.
I also "modell"the top right after adding the large( 6mm) grassfibers to be shure that there will be not to much "branches". Just use a pair of tweezers to pick the "wrong"ones out...still paying attention/watching carefuly the shape of the top of tree!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many Thanks Jos for the kind words and the suggestions!

Its Back to the workbench to do some testing.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  5:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
this weekend there has been some progress around my engine service facility. A somewhat fancy name for somewhere to get some coal and water.
I have finished a wood rick from BTS which I shortened somewhat and a scratchbuilt coal bin. The coal in the bin I kindly got from my friend Erik and which I glued down with Matte medium. The firewood is made from wood dowels painted and chopped to pieces and glued down one by one. Boring as h*** and great to do in front of some movie on TV.
I also added a lot of greenery around the area which I think tied everything together. The area had before looked somewhat naked.

Now off to the challenge of building a Water Tank. The wood piece on the last photo is where the tank is going to be.

When watching the photos I noticed one important thing which I have totally missed and that is to model the grease and oil streaks between the rails. Also the enginehouse still does not have any doors. Always room for improvement.

Håkan

Page: of 89 Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000