Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

Jim Ellis
Section Hand

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  9:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone point me toward the tutorial on the "static grass" method of making these superb trees?

Jim Ellis

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  04:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I can....
Is is written overhere:
Modellrailroadconstruction:
treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
In very very short:

Posted - 10/16/2012 : 4:29:03 PM

quote:
Here's a small how to:
The foliage of the firtrees are made only with 6 and 2 mm grasfibers for the small branches and very fine sieved fine turf( green gras) for the "needles"of the firtrees...
I add/glue( sprayglue) the grassfibers on the frame upside down electrostatic . When done I turn the tree up and blow carefully with an airbrush or ratle can the fibers all pointing down...repeat the same with some( not to much!!) 2 mm grasfibers and let it dry for some hours.
Remove the fibers that were at the "wrong" place( trunk/start of branches) with a stiff small brush dipped in terpntin .
than spraying/coloring the added fibers:
first I spray from the top/above the branches in a kind of dust( khaki) color...
Holding the tree again upside down and again the "dust" color for the lower branches and dark green for the rest of the tree/fibers = the middlle and top of the tree.
here a picture of the different steps:( sorry for the German text/words....)

Jos/grove den

belg
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  07:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos could you post the link to the pics mentioned in the last post? Pics don't know if they are German or English speaking, lol Thanks Pat

Jim Ellis
Section Hand

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  10:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm....I don't see any pictures.

Jim Ellis

quote:
Originally posted by scotchpine

Yes I can....
Is is written overhere:
Modellrailroadconstruction:
treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
In very very short:

Posted - 10/16/2012 : 4:29:03 PM

quote:
Here's a small how to:
The foliage of the firtrees are made only with 6 and 2 mm grasfibers for the small branches and very fine sieved fine turf( green gras) for the "needles"of the firtrees...
I add/glue( sprayglue) the grassfibers on the frame upside down electrostatic . When done I turn the tree up and blow carefully with an airbrush or ratle can the fibers all pointing down...repeat the same with some( not to much!!) 2 mm grasfibers and let it dry for some hours.
Remove the fibers that were at the "wrong" place( trunk/start of branches) with a stiff small brush dipped in terpntin .
than spraying/coloring the added fibers:
first I spray from the top/above the branches in a kind of dust( khaki) color...
Holding the tree again upside down and again the "dust" color for the lower branches and dark green for the rest of the tree/fibers = the middlle and top of the tree.
here a picture of the different steps:( sorry for the German text/words....)

Jos/grove den

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  2:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the direct link to Jos fantastic tree building thread.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23011

Cheers,
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/23/2012 2:58:20 PM

Jim Ellis
Section Hand

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  5:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan,

What did you use for your spruce tree trunks...wrapped wire, wood or something else? If wood, how do you make the grass applicator work?

Jim Ellis

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  5:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, not much time this X-mas to do modeling. But I managed to finish, well nearly finished when I took the photo, one of my largest trees. You can see the size compared to the little horse and carriage at the base. I was amazed when I actually read what the average dimensions of a Coast Redwood are.
The average Redwood tree size is 200 to 240 ft. The diameter will reach 10 to 15 ft.

Which corresponds to a height of 685-835mm in HO and the diameter 35-52mm. The tree I made has a length of abt 900mm and a diameter at the base of 40mm. I tried to make this one a little more disheveled and rough as I have seen on photos of the really big trees. In the construction of the tree, due to the size, I made a deviation from Jos way of building in that the lower branches is not floral wire but real branches cut from a dried plant. Thanks again Jos for showing your fantastic method on making trees!

With this I would like to wish you all a

Merry Christmas
And
Happy New Year

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/23/2012 5:25:17 PM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  7:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bummer Håkan this tree is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge !! good job.

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2012 :  7:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ellis

Hakan,

What did you use for your spruce tree trunks...wrapped wire, wood or something else? If wood, how do you make the grass applicator work?

Jim Ellis

Hello Jim, To cover the wire trunk I used a mixture of white glue, plaster and water. I applied it with a brush taking care not to get to much on the branches. After that I sprayed the wire trunk and everything with brown and grey spraypaint. To apply the static I simply attached the grass applicators alligator clip to the wire at the bottom of the trunk. I hope this answered your question otherwise just ask again.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/25/2012 7:53:54 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2012 :  7:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Bummer Håkan this tree is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge !! good job.

Thanks Martin!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  03:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, what a giant!

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  08:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful tree making efforts, Håkan. You layout is very impressive. I'll have to pass this thread along to a friend who is modelling Vancouver Island Lumbering. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  12:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I call : a tree...a giant tree!!
Very impressive and not only the size!
Again a beautiful part/piece of your scenery!

Jos

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  06:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, Mike and Jos!

It’s a big tree. I nearly finished one spray glue bottle making it. Concerning the size I will not make some of the really big trees as that could look a little freakish but stick to planting some of the more average size. They feel big enough for me.

There has been some more modeling this Christmas (I could not help myself although I tried hard to stay away from the basement ). I have finished a Full Steam Ahead kit the Barrel Factory that on my layout has become a bottling plant for the local mineral spring water. The proprietor as you can see sitting on the loading platform is not so happy bottling mineral water as he really wanted to start a brewery. No it is not mineral water in the bottle he is drinking. Perhaps later in life he gets a chance to start the brewery of his dreams

I tried to make this building more weathered and older then my other buildings as this one now has stood for about 20 years built from the beginning as a carriage works. The carriage works relocated to a larger building and the building became a bottling plant instead. I also made some changes to the stock kit by making a loading dock at the front doors as this was more logical for my business. I also changed some of the windows to ones with smaller panes and excluded one of the chimneys. There is still some work to do as gluing the building down as it now sits above the first dirt layer and adding greenery and more details.

Now as a small milestone the scenery for the 1/3 of the layout is near completion. A lot of detailing to be done but I think I'll wait with this until all the scenery is in place as I think it is easier to vacuum up all the dust on the layout from the scenery making without knocking over all details.

Happy New Year!

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/31/2012 06:01:34 AM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  06:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking goog Håkan ! Also wish you all te best and a happy modeling 2013..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.68 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000