Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  2:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  5:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dallas, Bob, Martin and Mike for the kind words and smilies!

quote:
Superb modeling Hakan !! But how do you do the funny a when you type. Wondering for time now..
It's easy for me as my swedish keyboard already has it installed as a specific key. The "å" is pronounced like the "a" in the english word:
Hawk

Great now is that with some of the scenery and the ballast in place I can actually run some trains. Which I haven't been able to do for awhile. And now I also must get a grip on myself and continue on with some tracklaying in the lower areas at Innsmouth.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/27/2012 5:09:18 PM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  5:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think I found it Håkan, no swedish keyboard for me but I guess I found some typical characters more like the Ø. Good to hear you can run trains again !

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  4:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin!

Hi All,
this weekend came the first snow here in south of Sweden so the weekend has been filled with outdoor activity, read shoveling to get the cars out.

But happily there has been some time over for modeling which nearly entirely has been devoted to tree making. I have made a lot of bushes and small trees from seafoam material to plant as secondary growth in the growing forest . Also I have tried making some spruce trees to have as a contrast to the big redwood trees. The redwood trees has bothered me alot as they look a bit too uniform and I have worked on them trying to make them a little more disheaveled and rough looking. The spruce trees were made using Martins and Jos fantastic method using a static grass applicator (Many thanks if you read this!). The tree frame was made with the bottlebrush method using thin steel wire for the branches. When it come to planting trees I have run in to some problems with that I want a quite thick and dense forest but I still want to be able to see the trains clearly.
I have enclosed some pictures of my first spruce tree attempts below. I'm not very happy on how the top of the trees came out but I'm working on it.

Thanks,
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/02/2012 5:15:22 PM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  5:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like 'm Håkan !!

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  6:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Once again I must admire your beautiful work. You have truly mastered Groveden's technique of making very realistic trees. You might consider, however, making the shape of your spruces more conical and the color darker. This current batch looks more like the Colorado spruce common to the western slope of the Rockies. Along the Pacific coast, however, the dominant species are the somewhat different looking Englemen and Sitka varieties. Though very old specimens may take on an open, columnar look, most of these trees have a more conical shape with fuller, bluer foliage. See, for example:

http://oregonstate.edu/trees/conifer_genera/spruce.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/plants/sitka-spruce.aspx

That said, I'm amazed by your ability to so successfully model an area so far from your home. Few people here in North America portray regional differences as well as you do! Thus I only note these minor discrepencies because you are so careful to model all other details with great accuracy.

Frank

liabacken
New Hire

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  11:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit liabacken's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It´s a really beautiful layout you are building Håkan :) hope to see it in real life some day :)

/Magnus
www.liabacken.se

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, try only the top from above with the static grass machine maybe that'll give you a more satisfying result..

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  11:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, I think you have done a fabulous job with your trees!
I can almost smell the pine scent from Canada.
If you make them any better, you better watch out.
The lumberjacks you have on your layout might want to chop them down. Timber!!!

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  5:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Once again I must admire your beautiful work. You have truly mastered Groveden's technique of making very realistic trees. You might consider, however, making the shape of your spruces more conical and the color darker. This current batch looks more like the Colorado spruce common to the western slope of the Rockies. Along the Pacific coast, however, the dominant species are the somewhat different looking Englemen and Sitka varieties. Though very old specimens may take on an open, columnar look, most of these trees have a more conical shape with fuller, bluer foliage. See, for example:

http://oregonstate.edu/trees/conifer_genera/spruce.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/plants/sitka-spruce.aspx

That said, I'm amazed by your ability to so successfully model an area so far from your home. Few people here in North America portray regional differences as well as you do! Thus I only note these minor discrepencies because you are so careful to model all other details with great accuracy.

Many thanks Frank for the information and your kind words! I think I have looked a little too long on our domestic spruce here in Sweden.

quote:
It´s a really beautiful layout you are building Håkan :) hope to see it in real life some day :)
Thank you Magnus! You're most welcome if you're in the neigborhood

quote:
Håkan, try only the top from above with the static grass machine maybe that'll give you a more satisfying result..
Thanks Martin, I'll try that.

quote:
Hi Håkan, I think you have done a fabulous job with your trees!
I can almost smell the pine scent from Canada.
Thanks Greg! Sound has long been the new dimension in modeling perhaps the next one will be smell Perhaps a newly cut piece of resinous pine tree hidden under the layout.

quote:
If you make them any better, you better watch out.The lumberjacks you have on your layout might want to chop them down. Timber!!!

Indeed they want to! Talking about lumberjacks they will find stiff resistance from this local woodsman who doesn't like either the photographer nor the lumberjacks chopping down his wood. He may look mean but actually he is quite a peaceful fellow and uses his gun solely for hunting.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/04/2012 12:57:10 AM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  03:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo Håkan,

About the top of your trees:
Try to put a small tree on the top of the (balsa?)woodtrunk in combination with the technic with the fibers Martin wrote about.....

As you can see I covered the transition with some glue and sawdust.
As always it is a lot of fun watching your layout pictures /progress specially the attempt to let it look like a forest with "giant"trees!
spectacular!

Jos

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  1:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those trees are absolutely superb! As is everything about your layout. This is fast becoming one of my favorite threads on here.

Personally, I've never found some of the more popular traditional tree-making methods very realistic - they look representative of trees, sure, but they're still clearly models. The results in this technique, however, could be quite difficult to recognize as HO scale rather than 1:1. VERY nicely done.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  3:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy you dropped by Jos! Thank you for the kind words. Also thank you for your tutorials and for sharing your techniques! Without them I would have been lost in the woods. I'll try your suggestions and see if I can improve the top.

ChrisS. Thank you. It is double joy when someone beside oneself likes it.

It is still a long way to a complete forest but we are slowly getting there.

Thanks,
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/04/2012 3:43:09 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  04:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan, what a magnificent landscape. Your work is really impressive! And this place would be a pleasure to live in in real life.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  10:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much appreciated Frederic!

Autumn has been great for modeling but now as X-mas is approaching there is less and less time for modeling. Hopefully more time will be available after all the shopping and preparations has been done!

Håkan

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000