Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shingles really make the station, are you going to do some weathering to tone it down or keep the newer look. Your river scene looks spot on, although you will see the true colors of the rocks in person better than we can through a picture.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  4:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn!
The depot is modeled to be fairly new built only about 3-5 years so I have only weathered it slightly. I will weather the roof some more with something to imitate debris, pine needles etc coming from the trees above after I have finished the surrounding scenery and added the trees.

I made a sketch on how I kitbashed the windows that you can see below. As my knowledge on window anatomy is very limited I used the internet as a source. I hope I got it somewhat right. I used Evergreen strips and I can't remember which dimension I used. I only took what fitted best.

The rocks has all been painted with a mixture of 2/3 raw umber and 1/3 black and I think the scene looks much better. One thing I should have done before I added any water was to have painted the river bed darker also. As it is now I can't paint the rocks as dark as I would like to as it then does not correspond to the color of the river bed. It is very apparent in the photos but fortunately not so in real life. I'll take it with me for the next water scene as now it is too much work to tear it all up again.

But it looks much better then before. My wife even thought the water looks as it has more "movement".

Thanks again for the feedback Greg and all!

In the weekend I continue on the trestle and see if a couple of locomotives can come out in force to test it. I hope it can take the weight otherwise it sure will be nicknamed the "Hope & A Prayer".

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/08/2012 4:48:26 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  5:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks much better Håkan!I agree with your wife,the water does seem to have the look of more movement.
Glad the suggestion worked for you,I guess you could say, it's all water under the bridge now.

Greg Shinnie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  7:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been awhile since I checked in on this thread. You are doing some wonderful work!

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  8:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, I think you've done a nice job on the stream. The water sure does look like it's moving.

George

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  06:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Greg, Mike and George! Water especially running water is so hard to model convincingly. It's my first try at it so hopefully I'll remember the mistakes I made for the next stream and do a better job.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/10/2012 06:50:06 AM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  07:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's looking great like this, water shure has a lotta movement. Remember that due to the fast running water theres no sediment and dirt on the bottom of the river...take a look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/50144889@N08/5499513890/ and you see that the rock is dark but the riverbed has it's sandy color..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  5:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Martin for the kind words and for the tip! I then can get away with having the bottom of the riverbed lighter than the rocks.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  6:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All, it has been a fruitful 2 weeks in the modeling area and I thought I show some progress pictures. I have tried to stay clear of my computer and Internet and given the time to modeling instead.
Please bear with me that some of the trees in the photos is yet to be planted as I'm trying various spots for the trees to see what looks best. There is also lots of trees to be planted but I'll finish the areas behind first.

I have finished my little Cathedral Springs depot and placed it on its permanent spot. My prototype building came which looks like some lamps/lanterns behind glass. I have tried to model them by using some square clear plastic rod which sides I have painted and added a lamp on the "inside" by drilling in a tapered shape. The shape was then painted with brass paint and silver to somewhat illustrate a lamp. Some signs and a timetable were also added.
The steps are still yet to be glued down and some more detailing and greenery will be placed around the building.

Rumour has it that my courageous bicycle adventurers Mr McKinley and Mr Angier has finally made some signs of life. They were last seen at Cathedral Springs taking a breather and replenishments before pressing on

The bridge and trestle has also been finished. The timber bridge came out very sturdy compared with the trestle but the logging line engineers felt it would better to be safe then sorry. Anyway timber was cheap in those days.

I have also been working on a log loading area with a timber skid road and a donkey engine pulling the logs. The engine is a Bachmann model which I have substituted the timber frame on with a resin one from Rusty Rail and gone over with new paint and weathering. My knowledge on donkey engines is very limited and I'm not sure if Bachmanns engine suits my layout time but it is very nice looking with lot of detail.

Last I have added some various pictures of the area. My colorful oldtime equipment looks a little out of place in my scenery so I'll tone them down and dulling them a little with some weathering.

Thanks,
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/26/2012 6:28:54 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  6:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Håkan,your time spent on your layout has really paid off!
I had no idea that you had planned to add all of that extra cribbing under the log bridge.
When I first saw just the large log crossing the water, I thought that was it.
That's why I called it the hope & prayer bridge.
I think it looks way better now with the additional support you have added.
The Cathedral station looks beautiful in it's surroundings.A thought popped into my head when I was looking at it.
Do you plan to add a stairway up the hill beside the station so Passengers can go up the hill?
Or even allow the upper track to let passengers off or on there instead of right at the station.
Keep up the great work your doing, I am really enjoying the ride!

Greg Shinnie

drs_rr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  7:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit drs_rr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
outstanding, great looking layout.

Dave Salamon
Deep River Southern - N Scale
www.picturetrail.com/salamon

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  02:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding! Beautiful, warm tones to the ground work ... all looking real good.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  02:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg!
quote:
That's why I called it the hope & prayer bridge. I think it looks way better now with the additional support you have added.
LOL. I see, I was a bit confused first as I had the picture of this sturdy bridge in my mind all the time. But I think the name "Hope & Prayer" bridge will stick now, perhaps it came from that the bridge took so long time to build that the locals gave it that nickname.

quote:
The Cathedral station looks beautiful in it's surroundings.A thought popped into my head when I was looking at it.
Do you plan to add a stairway up the hill beside the station so Passengers can go up the hill?

Thanks for the idea Greg! The idea has crossed my mind before, perhaps also with a small platform up above. I think it would look nice with a white washed/painted staircase. This is a 19th century tourist area so I think everything should look well kept.
What I'm also planning is a small Gazebo for the actual well and small signs a little here and there showing the way. I'll see where the best placement should be. Perhaps above the hill.

quote:
outstanding, great looking layout.

Many thanks, Dave!

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  1:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soooo FINE! Nice work Håkan. The cascading river and its bridges- excellent. Very pleasing colors use and magnificent tress. Just a very fine job.

It's only make-believe

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  1:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Superb modeling Hakan !! But how do you do the funny a when you type. Wondering for time now..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000