Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  7:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The building is still looking very nice, and I enjoy the come back of the initial colours. It is indeed a problem to adjust when you light sources have different temperatures.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 10/27/2012 7:32:41 PM

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  6:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Your station has turned out beautifully, as is generally the case with your models. In redoing the windows and door frames to suit the photo, did you cut out overlays from styrene to obtain the needed contour? If so, what thickness did you use?

Frank

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  6:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
first of all I'm very very happy that the forum is back online again. I'm very grateful to the people that have got it up and running despite the hardships after the Sandy disaster.

quote:
and they can be kit-bashed into unique buildings.
just giving you something to think about.
Bob, I see a new horizon rising on my modeling frontier.

The depot is nearing completion. I have finished the roof and woodwork. Some drainpipes and details are yet to come.
I have made a little weathering on the depot, first I put on my favorite washes, one was with black oil paint mixed with white spirits and another with raw umber oil. The drybrushing was done in layers using a light red for the oxide red and a yellowish white for the rest. I have after watched Troels dvd gone from stark white to warmer colors for drybrushing which looks warmer and more realistic to me.

quote:
The building is still looking very nice, and I enjoy the come back of the initial colours. It is indeed a problem to adjust when you light sources have different temperatures.
Thanks Frederic. Tthe new photos has been taken on my layout with the lights there which gives better more natural colors for the camera

quote:
Your station has turned out beautifully, as is generally the case with your models. In redoing the windows and door frames to suit the photo, did you cut out overlays from styrene to obtain the needed contour? If so, what thickness did you use?

Thanks Frank! I’ll put together some photos to show how I did the kitbash together with the material dimensions.

I also have some progress on my fast running stream. I must say that water is extremely difficult to make realistically especially fast running water. It did not came out as I wanted but now it is there and very difficult to remove and do again. I tried to get some depth in the water so I have put on alot of layers of medium gloss gel letting it dry thoroughly between each layer. The white froth/foam was made by mixing white with the gloss gel and applying this sparingly to the other layers, let dry and then put on some more clear gloss gel coats and then another layer white/gloss gel and finally two layers of gloss gel. Then a final layer with clear acrylic varnish to protect.

There also has been some progress on the bridges. The stone bridge I had to repair due to a very stupid mistake I made. I was cleaning the rails with acetone at the bridge using a container that did not agree with the acetone and just melted away in a couple of seconds. And where had I placed it? On the stone bridge so the acetone dribbled down into the bridge and as the material was pink foam it nearly melted all away. Luckily the latex paint I had painted on held it together and was unaffected by the acetone so I could cut out the damaged parts and make a new piece. It is on the "backside" of the bridge so it thankfully isn't that much visible.

The trestle is nearing completion but there is alot of work still to be done on the timber bridge. I will also add a lot of vegetation, small trees, bushes around the stream before the scene is done.

Happy modeling!
Håkan

The depot where it will be placed on the layout. The steps will be added after I have applied the gravel around the depot

The roof I chose gives it a more rustic look to it then the one on the photo I worked from. I was a bit unsure if I should lay it or go for a more orderly roof but now when it is on I kind of like it.

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/06/2012 6:50:21 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  6:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOVE those shingles!!!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  6:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That´s a great scene Hakan !!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I agree with you Håkan, it is good to have this forum back on-line again!
So we(The World) can all enjoy your work!
The Cathedral Springs station has turned out fantastic!
The roof came out perfect!Glad you found your tiny hammer.
Your fast running stream, as you called it.
Looks more like a waterfall to me, and as such it looks alright.
What really stands out to my eyes,are the rocks.
They look exactly the same colour as the ones not close to the water.
I think if the rocks in or close to the water were darker from being wet, they would contrast better with your nicely modeled fast moving water.
I would try that first, to see how it changes the look of things.
Even the foliage should be darker closer to the waters edge and lots of green moss on some rocks.
I also love that second bridge in the background there, the log one.
Since it's located at Cathedral Springs maybe you could call it the "Hope & A Prayer" bridge.
Keep up the great work, it's so nice to watch your progress!
By the way, I found this photo that I took up at our cottage.
I know it's not California, but it shows how much darker rock is by the fast moving water.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 11/07/2012 10:13:40 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  05:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shingled building is splendid, Håkan. And very nice scenery in the surroundings. I agree with Greg's comment about the rocks being darker near the stream. I have been watching tons of pics of the Halong Bay these past days and there's definitely a strong colour difference between places where water goes and other ones, although I don't know if salt modifies the way the water acts on the rock... If you darken these rocks, you might also want to add a little bit of glossy varnish to them.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  09:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The depot is super Håkan, excellent roof.
You should be proud. Just an excellent job.

I like your little mountain cascade too. It will look fine when you finish the trestle.

It's only make-believe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The station and the roof look great to me.
So does the moving water, but will agree with everyone else's comments about the rocks.

Thanks for the pictures.

As you think, so will you be.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  1:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the comments and feedback!

Thanks Greg for the photo of the rapids. It is precisely what I'm after. Waterfall or rapids are better words for what I'm trying to achive. I had looked on a lot of pictures of rapids and waterfalls to use as guide but I had missed the darkened stones altogether. I should have made them darker before I started with the water but I think I can paint them a little darker now and then apply some more coats of clear varnish to hide the transition. I then as in the photo put some small bushes and deciduous trees very near, nearly obscuring the water.

Many thanks for this feedback, much appreciated. Sometimes I just rush ahead of myself.

I'm happy you all liked the little depot. It has some detailing still to be done and I'm waiting for some items to arrive in the mail.

Tonight hopefully the first train will traverse the trestle.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/07/2012 1:18:44 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  1:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what color to use I tried some Raw Umber on some of the rocks. Looks a lot better I think but perhaps it should be a little darker and more black.

Håkan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  2:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,it's pretty hard to be critical of someone else's work,when you have never tried what you have done with this scene, myself.
So thanks for listening to me about what I think looks wrong with your scene.
I still think it needs to be darker though, perhaps a dark solution of India Ink & Alcohol A.I. could do the trick.
Just brushed along the waters edge over the rocks.

Greg Shinnie

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  2:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try it with a burnt umber / black mixture Hakan..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Martin... and your layout is coming along nicely!! The station is splendid!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  3:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hi Håkan,it's pretty hard to be critical of someone else's work,when you have never tried what you have done with this scene, myself.
So thanks for listening to me about what I think looks wrong with your scene.
I still think it needs to be darker though, perhaps a dark solution of India Ink & Alcohol A.I. could do the trick.
Just brushed along the waters edge over the rocks.

And I'm happy you mentioned it otherwise I would have still been thinking about what is wrong with the scene

Thanks Greg, Martin and Troels, darker it will be then.

And thank you Troels for your kind words on the layout and station. It means alot to me coming from a master builder like you!

Håkan

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000