Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: NP2626 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 89

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  06:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
below there are some pictures of my layout the freelanced California Railway & Navigation Company with its subsidiary Smith-Kingsley Logging Co. It is set in Northern California around 1890-1895. It connects the small sea harbor Innsmouth with the inland terminal Dunsmuir where it connects with the Southern Pacific. The main reason for its existence is transporting goods from Innsmouth Harbor to Dunsmuir for transport east. Connected to it is also a subsidiary logging company which operates its own equipment but uses the C.R.&.N.Co right of way.

This is my first layout since I was a teenager and I started the layout about 2 years ago. Before that we lived in an apartment so then it was only building of houses and rolling stock. It occupies roughly 4x4m (13´x13´) in my basement. The benchwork is L-girder and the track is ME flextrack code 55 and 70 which lies on plywood+cork roadbed. Turnouts are made with Fast Tracks jigs and their laser cut turnout ties. The trains are controlled by Roco’s DCC system. The maximum grade is 2% and the minimum radius 24´´. To get a long mainline I have separated the two end stations by about 12´´ vertically and let the mainline do a double turn via a helix before it reaches Dunsmuir. Much of the track will be hidden from view to avoid a spaghetti bowl kind of look.

Scenery which I just have started with is of the conventional kind with plaster cloth on a support skeleton. The plan is to finish the scenery in 4´ segments and gradually work my way from Dunsmuir to Innsmouth which will be finished last. Scenery has been hard to make and at the first part at Dunsmuir I have tested a lot. I hope the scenery gradually will be better and better as it comes along.
Trees are a combination of homemade and commercial. As the railroad is modeled at its peak and fairly new most of my buildings only have a light weathering to show the passage of time. My engine house for example is only about 5 years since it was built so it has not got that dilapidated worn look yet. The depression is many, many years ahead. Also the management is keeping everything in good working order.

My freight cars are a mix of for example Labelle, BTS, Alkem Scale models, Central Valley, Rio Grande Models, Silver Crash Car Works, Art Griffin and old IHC, AHM cars that I have modified.
The passenger fleet which I about to rework with better paintjobs and more elaborate decals consists for example of Westwood, reworked Model Power cars, and GEM (brass).
The locomotive fleet is just as diverse and consists of a lot of brass Balboa, PFM, Gem, Ken Kidder, NWSL (Shay). Some kits I have assembled from Arbour models kits a 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0. Also I have some commercial RTR locos from Bachmann and Roundhouse.

Please excuse the disorder on the photos as I’m using the part of the layout which I’m not building on as storage for the scenery stuff. I staged some of the buildings for the photos and the Engine house is not finished but it all hopefully gives a view how it will look when finished. There is also a lot of detail work to do but the scenery has to be somewhat complete first.
I hope you will find my description and photos of my layout of interest and that I haven’t bored you to death. Comments are always welcome. Thank you,

Best regards
Håkan

Dunsmuir on the right with the helix below

Dunsmuir on the left and on the storage mess that is to become Innsmouth

Spagetti bowl trackage for the time being

Yet more spagetti bowl but the 2 first tiers will be hidden behind the foredrop.

Dunsmuir

Dunsmuir again. Sorry some of the trees has not yet been planted.

The unfinished engine terminal at Dunsmuir with my Arbour 4-4-0, a Roundhouse 2-8-0 and the Arbour 2-6-0.

The turntable (Diamond scale) with my Arbour 4-4-0

The unfinished engine house with the Arbour 2-6-0.

The Dunsmuir station with my Ken Kidder 2-6-0 and a Balboa 4-4-0

Dunsmuir station again

My trackplan

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  06:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very impressive carpentry on the bench-work. You found some really high-quality wood to build with, judging from what I can see. Nicely done!

Don

NevinW
Section Hand

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  09:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've done a great job with the engines. I really like the turntable too. Looks great. - Nevin

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  09:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How well do those Arbour locos run? I looked at one of their 4-4-0 kits for years in the '80s at a local hobby shop, and unfortunately never did buy it.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  09:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So fine Håkan! Thanks a lot for sharing these. Your Engine Fleet is very impressive. I'm amazed you got the Arbour kits together. That something I wasn't able to do.How do they run for you? did you modify them any?
The L-girder benchwork looks great too. Nice and strong as it needs to be.

I look forward to seeing this layout again once you have more done on it.

Thanks again,

It's only make-believe

alpha_1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  10:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work! Great benchwork, scenery and beautiful locomotives and rolling stock. I'm subscribing to this thread and will follow it with great interest.

Cheers!

Gord Schneider
President and Chief Engineer,
Kootenay Lakes Steam & Navigation Company

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  10:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job. Every bit of it is first rate.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  12:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the very kind words. When progress has been made I'll post some new photos. I'm a bit of a loner in modeling circles as I live a long way from other modelers so it is great that one can share ideas and modeling through this site.

quote:
How well do those Arbour locos run? I looked at one of their 4-4-0 kits for years in the '80s at a local hobby shop, and unfortunately never did buy it.

Hello Dave, the 4-4-0 runs very well although it is a bit noisy due to its open gear. It has the open gear with shaft and bearings and a can motor (Sagami I think) that came with the kit. The motor is in the tender. The 2-6-0 also runs well but on this I had to have a new frame made as the one that came with the kit was badly warped. I had the frame done by another modeler here in Sweden who milled me one from brass. It had the same gear configuration as the 4-4-0 but I used a NWSL gearbox instead and kept the motor in the tender.

Thank you all,

best regards

Håkan

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  12:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, if you think you're boring us with your pictures, please bore us some more.
Your benchwork looks very well made and your scenery and structures are equally well done.
I hope to see more pictures as you make more progress.

As you think, so will you be.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  12:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan, I'd love to see a photo of the milled frame and motor in your 2-6-0, if that's easy to do.

dave

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  1:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hakan, I'd love to see a photo of the milled frame and motor in your 2-6-0, if that's easy to do.

Here are some pictures of the frame. The motor is in the tender and is only attached to the tender floor with a elastic compound.

best regards
Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  2:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!! That helps me understand how the gear tower fits into the loco.

dave

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  5:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful discovery, Håkan! This layout is really beautiful and your rolling stock is nice. As I was browsing picture after picture, I was getting more and more excited. Sweden really has a lot of great America modellers.

alpha_1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  5:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great turntable! Is that scratchbuilt by any chance? She's a beaut!

Gord Schneider
President and Chief Engineer,
Kootenay Lakes Steam & Navigation Company

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  6:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hakan,

I especially admire your benchwork- it is well done! I love your track plan. Please continue to post more pictures.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  7:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice start on your layout. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000