Railroad Line Forums - Sierra West The Shipyard HO build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Sierra West The Shipyard HO build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: I weathered a BIG engine...
Page: of 37

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  10:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Now that Oatman's has been wrapped up for some time (awaiting the start of the layout down stairs, spring '12...) I've decided to start building the Sierra West Scale Models Shipyard in HO scale. Had a great time at the Fine Scale MR Expo back in October and Brett (Karl and Kevin) did a good job in convincing me to build the shipyard (well... not that much convincing, always wanted to try board on board modeling).

Onto the build, for openers, the pic on the box:

Contents of the box revealed (really well packed I might add and a fantastic 106 page Instruction Manual, lots of progress pic's):

The spread ... boy there's a lot of clean sticks.

And the sheets of templates, windows, card stock backings:

The contents of bag # 1, srtip-wood for the main walls of the Shipyard main building:

On an aside, while at the Expo, I attended Brett's clinic on board-on-board modeling, very well presented by Brett and supported by Kevin and Karl. An HO kit (The Tool Shed) was presented to each participant and off we went stressing and weathering the strip wood (including knot holes). Seeing that time is at a premium in the premium workshops (hence the name) I completed the remainder of the kit at home, practicing the techniques in preparation for the Shipyard build, end result:

Now I'm off to get my hands dirty with the wire brush, A&I and pastel powders. Progress pic's to follow.

'til Next,
Paul

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  11:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul- This looks like a lot of fun for you. I know you will be impressed with Brett's instructions and materials- he won't have missed anything. I have built several SWSM kits, but not this one, so am eager to see how this goes together.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  11:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that looks like quite a project. You sure did a fine job on the tool shed. If you use the same process, whatever that was, your shipyard will turn out as nice.

Bryan

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  12:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Way to go Paul, looks good so far. I can't wait to see how this goes. Good to see you on line.
Have fun buddy.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  12:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul
Great looking kit and looking forward to following along.
Peter

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  2:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this Paul. I have the kit on order too. So I'll be taking some notes.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was great meeting you at the Expo Paul. The tool shed turned out really well, great to see you finished it up, VERY nice job through-out.

I'm really looking forward to following along on this adventure with you, lots of pics as you go please.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/04/2011 3:09:07 PM

rtbaron
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Good luck with the shipyard, looking forward to your progress.

As you might remember, I did the Shipyard in O scale and it was a joy to do. Perhaps the most enjoyable that I have done so far...so much detail and interesting areas to focus.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  2:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul. Looking forward to following this build.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  6:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I'll be glad to follow your build of the Shipyard. Your techniques applied to such a nice kit should lead to a very beautiful result.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 12/06/2011 6:08:29 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the tool shed Paul.
I'm in the middle of building an O scale version.
Look forward to your Shipyard build.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  09:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Nice job on the tool shed Paul.
I'm in the middle of building an O scale version.
Look forward to your Shipyard build.

Exactly Paul a nice job. Looking forward to your ship yard build.

Maybe Rick can show a picture or two of his "Tool Shed"

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

woody715
New Hire

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  6:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit woody715's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul - Wayne Woodland here (from the Expo) - nice to see you have started the Ship Yard...I will be following along with your build - now if only I could get going on my SW O scale tool shed (hope it turns out as nicely as yours!!)

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  11:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Thanks for the comments, always appreciated. Now, before I get going... I've a few pic's to post from FSMR Expo '11, the Sierra West gang, and how the Shipyard (hopefully) will look like.

Here's Brett (on the right), Kevin and Karl (sitting)...

The Shipyard diorama (fantastic work by Brett):

Now, onto the build.... (first step), distressing and chalk staining the strip wood.

'til Next,
Paul

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  11:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now there's two happy guys!!!!!!

Nice dioramam.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  12:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Moving right along (ie waiting for the football games to start...), I'll begin with pic's of how the strip wood was treated for the main shipyard building walls. Straight forward and Sierra West has great tutuorials on their web-site (helps also to have the opportunity to attend one of Brett's and gangs clinics...).

Started off using a wire brush to stress the wood (somehow forgot to take a pic of brush...), and then applying Rembrant chalk powder (Raw Umber 408.3) with a wash of alcohol:

Progress with the strip wood (drying):

The complete batch, slightly elevated to assist drying:

The walls consist of three pieces; a base card-stock piece, a bottom card-stock piece with groves for aligning the strip-wood joints and finally a scribed sheet of wood for the upper floor walls (scribed so you have the choice of having the sheathing visible between the vertical slats, if you want a really stressed structure). The upper floor scribed wall section is washed lightly with PS Roof Brown.

The wall sections:

The bottom wall section pieces glued together and weighted (upper floor wall shifted but not glued). A thing to note with gluing the wall pieces together, use a stick to keep the edges flush with the outer edge of the main card-stock piece (all four edges). It is possible to butt the top scribed wall piece with lower card-stock piece which results in a gap at the top (around 1/32nd or so) of the wall section, so butt to the outside (top) edge.

Next up will be applying the treated strip wood.

'til Next,
Paul

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock Topic Next Topic: I weathered a BIG engine...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000