Railroad Line Forums - HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS
Page: of 21

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  7:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derrick, that B&M kit looks neat. So does your workbench - way too neat.

I would be embarrassed to show mine right now.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Derrick
Section Hand

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  8:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a closer look at the stone Adrian.
My camera skills are rudimentary.
What I see in the photo is not what I see in person.
Another skill to hone up on.

Bruce,an untidy work area would drive me bonkers.
It'll never happen on my bench...lol

Here is my current roster,set up on some work benches.
Again the pictures are bad.

I set up a turnout and some track to test everything out on.
As you can see,I've been bitten by the Blackstone bug.
It was seeing one of their C-19's that sealed my fate,as to what scale layout I was going to build.
I'm turning a work area into a layout area.
It's going to be 20ft.by 8ft.
A long way to go,but at least I've taken the first step of the journey

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  9:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derrick,
I see Santa was good to you!
The stone work is very real on the stucture.
It was fun to see your engines run, they sound great.
Larry

Derrick
Section Hand

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  9:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lars.
Santa was good to me,but the Blackstone fever is far from over.
Let's see...gotta have passenger cars,more drop bottoms,
more boxcars.......more...................

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  11:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the stone work photo. Looks really nice.

Ive a got a question for the bunch.
I have been contemplating taday (as i do most days) what a good prototype loco would be to base a 0-6-0 logging style loco on? Or something like even the bachmann proters.

I have been playing around with designs for mechanism with no real direction and contemplating ectching a frame and 3D printing the rest of the loco.

The thing that concerns me the most is a source of drivers for such a project. any ideas on a reliable supply?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  07:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adrian,

That question is 'out of my wheel house'. Perhaps Cody or one of the other members can jump in. Phil Light (NGPhil) does that kind of work. He hasn't checked in for a while, so I sent him an e-mail.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

NGPhil
New Hire

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  07:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! I got your email Dutch. Thanks for the heads up.

Adrian, If you're talking about a "one-off" model, I can help you with the drivers. I've been making drivers in my sleep lately for a little something. You can contact me off list if you're interested.

You might look at North Yard (Rodger and Christina Cullen) in New Zealand.

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/North%20Yard%20Product%20Catalogue_Jan%2011.pdf

http://northyard.co.nz/profilee-of-new-owners-of-north-yard-model-railway-parts/northyardmodelrailwaypartsfrontpage-2/

as they're in "your neck of the woods". They've got 14.3mm drivers which would be perfect on an 0-6-0. They are RP 110 (standard HO)but that might not be much of an issue. They've also got some smaller drivers like 10.5mm! They're great to work with and usually turn around orders pretty quick.

I've got plans for the RGS Class 48 0-6-0T which I know one of which (#105) was sold to the Yellow Pine Lumber Co. for their #4 in 1899. It's a cool looking general 0-6-0T Baldwin and several companies have made models of it already. PSC has parts for them in their HO/HOn3 catalog.

Phil Light

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HEy thanks Phil. I kind of expected you to jump in on this one.The link you put there was one i was thinking of but i couldn't remember the company (i think you sent it to me in the past).

I was considering the RGS 48 0-6-0T or something along those lines. I see them on ebay now and then and always end out of my price range and building your own is where the fun is.
Im only wanting a one off or maybe two but would love to keep my design open to the possibility of a semi kit in the furture.

Were the plans for RGS 48 in a gazette issue at some stage?

By the way i keep seeing your builds on the other group and it gets me inspired to have a go. Thats the main thing i guess.

EDIT:
Actually Phil have you tried any drive like theken kidder locomotives? something like that with a mashima 1015 motor would be really small.

Edited by - adrian_batey on 01/04/2012 4:32:10 PM

NGPhil
New Hire

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  4:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

EDIT:
Actually Phil have you tried any drive like theken kidder locomotives? something like that with a mashima 1015 motor would be really small.

I haven't tried doing the vertical motor thing. Yet. I mentioned over on the other thread about doing a mich call shay that way since you've got the T boiler to work with. I haven't looked at the motor size yet though. I do like that motor configuration though.

Phil Light

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  6:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A link that is rather good. Amazing loco building by this person.

http://hon2jeff.blogspot.com/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  6:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a good link, Adrian.

Bruce

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  5:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here have a WSM class a climax?

Im working on one now. Lastnight i finally got a Mashima 1020 motor in it.
It is running but still as makes a neck of a lot of noise. I know thats kind of normal for the loco but any ideas on how to make it quiet?

Next on my list for it though is to add pickups to all the wheels to improve the running.
This shouldnt be to hard.

Not the best picture but i dont have any of the full trucks at work. there is loads of room to glue a bit of pc board to the side and add whipers on both sides.
Loads of room under the loco to run the wiring as well.

Now i need to order some phosphor bronze wire

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  7:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So whats everyone thinking about for the 2 month challenge?

Im thinking of some rolling stock. Have always been interested in the Sierra west work train.
So i plan on building 3 20ft cars

1. a sracp pipe and metal car
2. a 1/2 and 1/2 car. one end being a water tank. The other a small supply of cut timber for locos and donkey engines
3. a blacksmith / tool car

Im not sure if i will finish them all but i will be using jigs for the frame and things so i can build more later.
Working on the plans for them and i will share them in the challenge topic once it begins

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  8:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be building a car (or two) maybe one scratch built and one from a kit. (HOn3)

Bruce

bullbrauch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  9:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to do a PSC D&RGW 40' Reefer kit, I was going to do 2 34' stock cars butthey where back ordered.

Question regarding painting the yellow on the reefers. When I do yellow passenger cars I use silver as my primer, on these I obviously want a more weathered look and on other cars I would paint all the wood parts a wood color and then build up the boxcar brownish or black paint where approprite with multiple washes. I don't think this would work well with yellow, any thoughts?

Brandan
Living in Colorado,
home of the Rio Grande

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000