Railroad Line Forums - HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: pilot2fly ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS
Page: of 21

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  12:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roof is laser-cut thin plywood, that I soaked and then formed around a can. One trick was to put a piece of cardboard over top of the wood, to help get a more even bend:

dave

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  5:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Nice looking building as always.

Dave,

Thanks, great tip on the cardboard if one uses wood. Kind of tough if one uses brass.

Bernd

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  6:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think in brass you have to "anneal" the metal to make it easier to bend. And you just need to bend over a die with a smaller radius. But metalworking is jot my expertise.

dave

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  06:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd!

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  11:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I think in brass you have to "anneal" the metal to make it easier to bend. And you just need to bend over a die with a smaller radius. But metalworking is jot my expertise.

dave

I've done it both ways on the four electric quarry engines I built. If you anneal the brass you need to be careful because it now bends very easy. You can get a kink it real fast. With the un-annealed brass or half-hard it's sometimes difficult to get the exact curve you want. It's a technique that takes a few tries before you get one the usable and fits the roof correctly without any gaps between the roof and side walls. Practice, practice and then more practice.

Bernd

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000