Railroad Line Forums - HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS
Page: of 21

Tom Coletti
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  9:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I think the reason HOn3 might seem a bit sparsely populated is just because RRL's On30 and Early Rail forums are especially busy by comparison. HOn3 also has much less ready-to-run equipment than HO and On30 as well, so those that do choose HOn3 are aware that they may need to make a lot of their own locos and/or rolling stock. If anything, it's not that HOn3 is dying off, but rather that it is slowly entering into a small revival period. Blackstone sparked a lot of interest with modern, standardized models of great quality, and modelers are taking it upon themselves to build models that Blackstone and early brass imports haven't offered.

Over in the craftsman's corner, I've been building an HOn3 4-4-0 from the ground up for about a year now; meant to put it in the HOn3 forums but accidentally started it elsewhere:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45351&whichpage=10

HOn3's size is certainly a challenge, but the vast availability of 1:87 parts is very helpful.

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  05:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

Narrow gauge modeling is a niche thing, and all the scales have sen slumps, in the past. From what I have read, model railroading in general is in a slump, it seems. But very far from dead.

My own NG interest is the Maine 2' lines, so HOn3 didn't cut it for me. My interest has been on and off for many years, but had gotten stronger a few years ago. But then, I got side tracked by my interest in UK rail modeling.

Now looking at the 2' thing again, and even has been looking at On30, after my daughter, in error, gave me a Bachmann Forney as a birthday gift.

Much as the idea that building in O would be easier now, as mentioned, it takes up a lot of space. So the loco will probably just get displayed on a shelf, and I'll stay with the HOn30 thing.

There is plenty of motive power options for me, now, more so than years ago, and track is a non issue.

Stay the course, keep looking, there is plenty out there.

Good luck.

Jim F

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2016 :  8:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy folks,
It's been an age since I've visited but I've been building a little bit recently, mostly HO standard gauge logging stuff for a buddy of mine but have spent a bit of today working on a Mount Blue kit for a SR&RL 24' boxcar. It's nice to get back at it!

What's everyone else been building? I'm poking around the threads and seeing lots of great work!

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

-Cody

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  07:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cody,

Nice to see you back on again.

I'm trying to finish up many started projects that never got completed, among them the HOn30 electric boxcabs I had started in one of the Challenges. I still have the rail truck I need to get back to also.

To many projects started and not enough of them completed. Oh well I guess that's the way of this hobby for some.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you're still at it too Bernd. I may not say much but I have been enjoying following your TT scale adventures.

Here's a quick picture of my latest piece of rolling stock for my Saco River & Newfoundland:

It's a 24' Dyer built boxcar assembled from a Mount Blue Models kit. It assembled nicely with a few modifications (scale height couplers) and mistakes (end ladders mounted too high). It's also the first boxcar I've built with interior detail and open doors. I'll eventually add some kind of sparse load to hide the weights over the trucks, though you can't really see them much from normal viewing angles... And a bit of weathering someday as well.

-Cody

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  5:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently completed my Waterton pin-connected truss bridge:

I'm now pushing tracks into Jefferson:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  6:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The TT scale is slow work. When I get the ambition I work on it. Liking those freight cars in the HOn3/HOn30 Section.

Jeff, nice looking bridge. Looks like a lot of work went into that. Built to drawings I take it?

Bernd

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  7:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agreed, that's a great looking bridge. Nice work!

-Cody

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  05:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It started out as a kit-bash of a CVMW bridge to my own plans, but there was a re-design about 1/3 of the way through that made it more of a scratch-build.

There's a thread on it over in the narrow-minded section: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45410 .

Cheers,
Jeff.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  08:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeyjey

There's a thread on it over in the narrow-minded section: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45410 .

Cheers,
Jeff.

Ah yes, I remember it now. I'll have take some time and read through it. I just did a quick scan of the 5 pages looking at the pictures. Very impressive indeed.

Bernd

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  08:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody, welcome back! A very nice looking boxcar.

Jeff, the bridge is terrific!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  1:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd, Cody and Bruce!

Jerry Martin
New Hire

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  12:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys good to see someone here in the lounge, nice looking boxcar. Jerry

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  5:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My double-track trestle at Jefferson:

And the (functional) harp stand next to it:

Cheers,
Jeff.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  6:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice!

-Cody

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000