Railroad Line Forums - HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: Ambitious Project ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS
Page: of 21

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  10:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys anyone have a Kato 11-103 or 104 mech handy?
I need a measurement as im waiting for mine to come in the mail. Im after the height from rail head to flat deck? Would be very handy right now as im working on some drawings for a hon30 brass boxcab bash

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  07:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Hi Guys anyone have a Kato 11-103 or 104 mech handy?
I need a measurement as im waiting for mine to come in the mail. Im after the height from rail head to flat deck? Would be very handy right now as im working on some drawings for a hon30 brass boxcab bash

Hi Adrian,

I used that Kato chassis for my HOn30 electric box cabs. Great running units. Can't wait to see what yours will look like.

It looks like you'll need about 5/8". The measurement is from the flanges up. It would be 19/32" from the rail head up. The flanges measure about 1/32" deep. The blue capacitor sticks up over the plastic deck as well as do the two screws.

Hope this helped.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 06/03/2016 07:41:17 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  07:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After I posted I realized I had the wrong deck. Here's another measurement. The measurement is 3/8". So minus the 1/32" flange height would make it 11/32" from railhead to flat deck.

Bernd

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  12:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone sell HOn3 freight car roof and floor stock like northeastern does with HO and O scale? I'm looking to scratchbuild a couple boxcars and this kind of item would be very helpful.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  6:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd' Thanks for that picture! Just what i needed. I had a bunch of space left on an etch sheet and thought i could fit something cool for a little hon30 loco. now that has blown out a little into a full sheet of etchings around this mechanism for a boxcab and 2 other small locos :-)
Will certainly be sharing the pictures in a few weeks time when i get them back

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Adrian. I'm looking forward to seeing project.

Bernd

Jerry Martin
New Hire

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  3:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, is ME still the track of choice these days? What about turnouts? Do the majority use 70 or 55, first venture into Hon3 so need some info. My layout space is now about 4ft. deep by 16 feet long but I have the room to expand later to another 24 x 12 foot area in the same room. Figure on starting small and see how it goes. I actually installed track lighting in the room when the house was being built in anticipation of a layout there, but ended up building my On30 pike in the garage. It's long gone now so my next one is being planned inside the house. The room is about 16 on one side and 12 feet across and 24 feet on the other side with a 12 foot return wall so fairly good size.
Right now my music studio equip. takes up half so that is the reason I am starting on one side and see what the future holds...Jerry

Jerry Martin
New Hire

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  12:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, life is lonely here..........

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  4:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Martin

Wow, life is lonely here..........

Ya, it's pretty quiet. Guess there aren't many in HOn3. I haven't done much in HOn3 yet. Have several pieces of equipment. Also have an idea for a HOn3 track plan for a layout I have in mind. That's about as far as I've gotten. I think I've got way to many projects started that need finishing before I can begin to even think about a layout.

I usually look to see if anybody posted.

Bernd

Jerry Martin
New Hire

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  7:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! only 18 pages in the lounge since 2011??? looks like Hon3 is dying off.....think I will go and check out the other forums, and see who is active. I was giving Hon3 serious consideration but don't want to get back in Mrr'g in a scale that is not active. I love the size and the amount of RR you can put in a smaller space. I enjoyed On30 but the structures and so on sucked up real estate real fast. My new space is `large but not for O scale.
Thanks for the post Bernd, looks like I'm the only one on the bus here. Jerry

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  8:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOn3 is certainly not a 'dying' scale or gauge. If you want evidence look at the offerings from Blackstone Models. They wouldn't be producing them if there wasn't a market.
What I do wish for was a small reliable steam loco in HOn3 for under 200$. You can get the MDC engines for that price but they aren't especially good runners unless you put a fair amount of work to them.
If a manufacturer was able to do that, I'm sure the popularity of HOn3 would grow.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 07/28/2016 8:19:46 PM

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  8:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Jerry, what kind of narrow gauge railroad are you thinking of building?

Jeff S.

Edited by - jschumaker on 07/28/2016 8:35:20 PM

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry think duel gauge best of both worlds and lots to do. I to wish Bachmann would put out some Shays and Forneys in DCC. But there's been a lot of stuff on eBay just don't take mine. Tom

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  09:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are still a number of us active in HOn3. It is just that we tend to socialize in the general lounges.

Indeed look at the Blackstone Models offerings. Their engines run quite well. So, if you intend to model a prototype that utilized that type of motive power, you are in great shape. I model the logging railroads of Pennsylvania, so those engines don't help me much. I have grabbed some vintage brass locos to travel my rails. Some ran acceptably when I got them, and some have been re-motored.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Jerry Martin
New Hire

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  12:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey!! there are some peeps out there after all! Thanks guys, thought I was on a island somewhere, Yes Bruce, Jeff, Glen, Tom thanks for the words of wisdom. The Blackstone models and seeing them on the net and so on is what got me to thinking about Mrr'g again. Really like their offerings. Purchased a D&RGW Caboose and was amazed at the detail in that size, better than i could build for sure. I realize they are from China but looks good to me.
Thought of dual gauge as well but those turnouts get a bit complex. Good thought though. My layout if it ever comes about will be Colorado based as I spent a lot of time there and those K class locos are sweet.
Well need to do a bunch of reading and catching up, thanks for the replies, good to hear from you all. Jerry

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000