Railroad Line Forums - Disappearing Apostrophe?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Railroad Line Administrative Forums
 Administrative Posts
 Disappearing Apostrophe?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trying to post to RR Swap thread Topic Next Topic: Problem using Google Chrome Browser  

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I'll go straight to the core.

I have noticed, increasingly, both on the 'net and within private forums, that the apostrophe in some sentences is being replaced with a little square box with a series of unintelligible letters within. (FFFD)??

�soaking� in the stain, I�m using one of Mike Chambers recipes as I probably have the world�s

This is a section of a recent post by Ron Newby, as an example.

I realize that this is not confined to RLF posts, but can anyone tell me why this anomaly exists in some posts, and not in others?

Many thanks,

John.

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  06:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's going on!!!! On both sides of 'soaking' and at 'I'm' My computer shows an I with an umlaut, and upside-down question mark and a 1/2 symbol!

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  07:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen that on any forum ever. What kind of OS and browser are you using?

Mike

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  08:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
I haven't seen that particular anomaly but do get similar ones at times when doing searches or going through methods other than the original source.
I'm no computer expert and just chalk it up to the ISP software and "lost in translation" phase. Not all of them read punctuation codes the same way.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, Americas 1st Homeland Security

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  09:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't say I have ever seen anything like that before. It's got to be computer gliches.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  3:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect that it has to do with the character set you are using. Your computer operating system will allow you to choose from a lot of different character sets. When the computer gets the command to display a given letter, the command is given in a numeric, and the computer looks at the 'character set' to determine what to display. You may be using Unicode instead of one of a few different English character sets. You may want to change your character set to a different English set and see if this resolves the problem. Make sure to restart your computer after making the change prior to testing (viewing an offending example) to see if you have got the right character set loaded.

Knowing what operating system you are using will help in being able to direct you to the location to make the changes.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  5:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I'm using a PC, with Windows XP II Home.

My browser is Firefox.....

Still mystified.

John.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  10:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What's going on!!!! On both sides of 'soaking' and at 'I'm' My computer shows an I with an umlaut, and upside-down question mark and a 1/2 symbol!

Hey, that's funny!!

I just logged back in again to have another look, and now, the little square boxes have disappeared, and I have what Neil stated that he could see!!!

WTF???

Even more mystified....

John.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  02:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went to the link supplied above as an example and do not see any issues. I'm using Firefox as my browser and a MS Win-7 pro in a 64 bit environment.

You may want to review the following link to make changes in the character set. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-system-locale

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  8:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The way this is *supposed* to work is that the browser's HTTP Post command should include the character set of the contents of the Post. Then the web server can convert it to any other encoding it likes better. This site (and maybe Snitz/IIS in general) appears to use ISO-8859-1 by default, so it's possible that the error appears on posts originating in Unicode or Windows-1252. In general, you're less likely to have problems if you type your posts directly into the browser window, rather than creating them in Word or whatever and pasting them into the browser.

If I have time tomorrow at work, I'll post something and analyze the traffic to see if I find anything enlightening.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  12:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did I mention that I also find this anomaly on some Wikipedia entries?

John.

Previous Topic: Trying to post to RR Swap thread Topic Next Topic: Problem using Google Chrome Browser  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000