Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 272 ]  [ Total: 274 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)
Page: of 18

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  4:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is gonna be a good one to follow!
Karl-didn't you have a hand in designing the master for the cookhouse or am I'm thinking of something else?

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think I would grab a corona or 2 that are an awfull lotta castings to paint!!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  5:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the posts Bill and Marty, great to have you following along.

You're close in your comments Bill, I had a hand in the master but the design is all Bretts.

Brett gave me some sized templates and dimensions which I used to cast a block of plaster with recesses for the door and window.

I then carved in the random brick pattern, signed it and sent it off to Brett.

Brett then made the mold from the carving and thats what you get in the kit.

These are pics from my first attempt which I rejected due to too many flaws. The one shipped in the kit is signed "02".

Thanks again,
Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  6:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the kind of detail that makes a nice story a great one, Karl.

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  10:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just one of the many reasons why Karl is the "Farbricator"...

Brett

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  11:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some work on the siding boards for the barn walls.

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  11:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Nice coloring and the knot holes "perfect".

One thing though should I be afraid to ask what the "F" stands for in the yellow triangle!!!!!

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  12:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry!

See Brett's previous post.

Karl.A

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  02:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Karl got the ball rolling on this one and ive started to get going on it too. man this is one huge kit.

Im going for the look of an old building that needs some repair but is still useable. Below are the front wall and the left hand wall. the other two walls are complete.

Let me know what you think. All comments welcome.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  7:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Wes. If this was my wall, I would probably add some hints of moisture towards the bottom of the planks, with very light application og burnt umber paint and dark green pastel. That being said, the area you model may be a dry one and thus the planks would not require this kind of treatment (I guess one year and a half of marine modelling on Dave's Corner have wetted my modelling habits... ).

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 10/14/2011 7:06:23 PM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  8:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

" Stay Motivated in Life "
http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_mario_rapinett.html

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic and Mario

Frederic you make an interesting point. Although the area i plan on modelling isnt near any water, I would like to model the odd rotten board. I was going to use AI just touched up against the end of the boards and let it wick up.

Anyone else have some ideas for me?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  10:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The walls look great Wes, the tones are distinct but blend together well, as always your actual construction is neat clean and accurate.
Great job so far and good to see you getting started. I'm looking forward to following along.

Karl.A

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl. Its difficult to go wrong with Bretts instructions.

Im looking forward to continuing tonight.

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  11:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're off to a great start on this one Wes, but Karl A. will probably really get going after he recovers from his marathon drive home from Peabody. I couldn't figure out why you had the "Shelby's" sign on a "Blue Sky Co." warehouse, but I went to Brett's website and then remembered the story that Shelby's Marine used to occupy the building before they moved down the road. Is the lettering decal or dry transfer, and is it an option to make it look more faded? I really like the colors and texturing you have done.

Page: of 18 Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000