Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 162 ]  [ Total: 165 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)
Page: of 18

gregnarrowgauge
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  8:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes, this has come up a treat, matey.
You don't seem to put as many of Brett's details around as he does (I remember your Woodcutter's shack), please don't forget to post on Brett's forum as well!!

Greg in Australia

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  02:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll post some close ups of the gates sometime.

Greg there's still alot of castings I plan to add, just need to complete them.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  10:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work....I agree with Frederic....mess up the road...;=)

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  10:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wesleybeks

Let me know your thoughts. I love both negative and positive criticism.

Absolutely beautiful work! Wonderful arrangement, composition, detailing, finishing & scenery.

Positives: Too many to list individually!

Negatives: As Frederic hinted, the road looks a little too perfectly manicured ... the grass strips down the middle of the "suggested" traffic path jumped out at me as too clearly patterned. That's the only obvious one I'm seeing. Not sure, but there might be something slightly funny looking about the gas pump. Looks like the top of some clear acrylic rod is showing at the top? And maybe a bead to seat the same around the bottom? Not sure there, but ... repeat:

Absolutely beautiful work! Wonderful arrangement, composition, detailing, finishing & scenery.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  10:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes, take a bow, you've done an excellent job on this kit.
The barbed wire fence and rusted metal roof are particularly good as is the gray color on the main building.

I'll join in on the road critique.
Besides what has already been mentioned, the dirt appears to be all one color.
Do a search on the forum and as example take a look at Brian Nolen's and Dave Revelia's dioramas use different colored dirt going from darker on the edges to lighter in the middle.
You can add color with chalks and/or ground pastel sticks.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  11:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done and I'm sure it is an award-winning diorama! No small accomplishment.

I do however concur with the comments re: ground cover and the dirt color. I always mentally think about where the sun would be and how the shadows may fall, and then add a bit of a light A-I wash to the ground to enhance the shadows. Also, a bit of different colored (darker dirt) close to the structure and where water may run. Thinking about water and the little runoff areas and streams of water will have a bit more 'green' colored plants with the plants and grasses becoming more yellow just a foot or two away from moisture paths. Don't forget that in shaded areas the moisture will tend to remain a bit longer, again providing a darker green plant life with a bit larger plants being supported.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  11:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some very interesting and helpful suggestions guys. I appreciate them alot.

I'll be finishing up the road soon once I get some more scenery stuff in.

Once again, thanks for the kind words.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Wes, I'm a little late for the much deserved rejoicing party going on here about your work.
It really does look fantastic!
I also agree with the others comments regarding the roads.
One trick that I use when it comes to tire tracks in the dirt.
I take a pair of tweezers, and cut a scrap piece of wood to the same size of the axel between the 2 tires.
And hold this piece of wood between the tweezers so that the pointed ends of the tweezers equals the distance of the tires.
I then scratch/score the pointed ends of the tweezers into my dry dirt on the road.
I repeat this over and over again until I have achieved the amount of tracks that look right.
This works great in HO scale, and I am pretty sure it could be scaled up to work for O scale.
The only other thing that I noticed, was the metal roof over the small brick extension, needs some black caulking/pitch where it joins the wooded wall.
I hope these suggestions can be of use to you.
Keep up the great work that you are doing!

Better yet Wes, here is a photo showing how the tweezers are used, and the end results.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 09/19/2012 6:33:54 PM

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  12:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing us up to speed Wes; your work looks terrific. Joe CCCModOn30

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  6:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love your work Wes.
I remember not to long ago you built the FSM jacobs fuel co that i had started around the same time (still havent completed mine). Since then your modeling has come a long way. If only i could keep up!

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  12:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting caught up in this thread. What a splendid job! Love that tractor. Isn't the stump underneath it a little too clean? Perhaps some stains to suggest oil leaks, etc.

Arthur

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  01:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, joe, adrian and Arthur. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Greg that little tool is a great idea, I'll make something like it.

C'mon Adrian get back to it, I'd love to see some.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  7:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wesleybeksC'mon Adrian get back to it, I'd love to see some.

I have been working away at a few projects. Maybe ill get motivated and take some photos of my workbench over the weekend.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  11:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

Getting caught up in this thread. What a splendid job! Love that tractor. Isn't the stump underneath it a little too clean? Perhaps some stains to suggest oil leaks, etc.

The stump was just grabbed from a box of off cuts to temporarily support the tractor in the staged photos.
When the tractor is eventually placed in the (as yet unbuilt) diorama then the stump will be weathered accordingly.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  12:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Wes' awesome pics motivated me to get the box re-opened and start exploring. I decided
to get started with some of the details, with this many castings I figured I needed to get
organised so I separated out mostly the wooden crates and smaller pieces of resin and got them
ready for priming.
Maybe I'll get to the larger resin details later today if I have any modelling energy left.

Karl.A

Page: of 18 Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000