Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 231 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)
Page: of 18

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  4:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well YM, when you say you are going to do something you get right to it. This will be a good clinic for all those watching on how to paint, weather and detail these little gems. I tend to not polish the parts as extensively as you show here. What are your thoughts when doing so and do you go back and re-blacken areas that might represent darker or rusty parts?

OM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  4:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wes, I will also look forward to your updates.

Thanks Kevin, my thoughts...hmmmm...
primarily it is corners, raised edges and details, and also areas of natural wear that have the majority of the 'polishing'.
Once the parts are painted and then chipped the raised areas and areas of wear will remain slightly shiny, due to the natural wearing and polishing of abrasion.
The areas which are chipped due to damage or neglect will be re-blackened to a dull finish and then further effects added... oil, rust, grime..etc.
I'm considering trying to 'Doan it up' a little also, but time will tell if that ever happens....

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  12:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As I was unhappy with the innitial paint job and chip effects I did yesterday this morning was time for a quick Xylene 'bath' and to start over.

Luckily the xylene does not effect the epoxy, just the paint, therefore the assemblies will remain intact.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 06/09/2012 12:18:40 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  2:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  2:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.........seems like I've seen the old xylene bath trick before from you YM! Well I really like the effects you've achieved on the wheels. Did you use craft paint or one of the more pricey products and is your resist just the blacken-it or maybe some hair spray?

OM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  3:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks OM,
I had wanted to do the tractor grey but couldnt get good coverage in any paints that I tried without it being 'clumpy'. So I ended up going back to yellow craft paint, it's still too thick but hopefully I can fix that as I progress.

There was no resist used, just painted directly onto the metal and chipped with a toothpick.

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  3:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Those wheels look perfect to me. Nice job. Looking forward on how you progress on the engine block part.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  6:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Jerry, I'll certainly try to kep you up to date....

Karl.A

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  6:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks awesome, rust and chipping very effective...

Brett

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  8:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thanks for the update. And a very nice job with the chipping and rust.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  10:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Brett and Jerry, great to hear from you both.

A little more progress after dinner...

Karl.A

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  12:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant work, Karl. The rust and streaking effects on the hood and radiator are about as close to perfection as you can get. Not to mention the wheels and greasy engine.

Simply awesome!

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  01:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl.

Now I'll have to go and redo my tractor. Its difficult to compete with awesome work like yours. Very nicely done.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  05:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the rust on this parts. The sides of the wheel feature some splendid texture.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the castings are looking great. On the wheels, how long did you allow the yellow craft paint to dry prior to chipping with a toothpick? Thanks in advance.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Page: of 18 Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000