Railroad Line Forums - Gas Electric Passenger Cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Reference & Research
 Gas Electric Passenger Cars
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Interesting rail-marine and city photos circa WWI Topic Next Topic: St. Albans Station  

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question: Could Gas Electric Passenger Cars (aka: Doddlebugs)be operated from either end by the driver? If not, were they ever used to service branchline terminals without turn-a-round facilities? The photos I've seen seem to indicate that they could only be operated from on end and some of the photos show the locomotive coupled to an unpowered passenger car.

Ray

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the answer to that is most could only be operated from one end but i'm pretty certain I have seen some that had drivers positions at the rear too.

A lot were built to individual specifications so they could have been ordered like that for branchlines that did not have loco turning facilities.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  4:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray46

Question: Could Gas Electric Passenger Cars (aka: Doddlebugs)be operated from either end by the driver? If not, were they ever used to service branchline terminals without turn-a-round facilities? The photos I've seen seem to indicate that they could only be operated from on end and some of the photos show the locomotive coupled to an unpowered passenger car.

As you can see in this picture, this Rail Car was operated from both ends of the car. Made by the Electro-Motive Company. This is the floor plan of a gas-electric Motor Car showing double-end control. "They say a picture is worth a a thousand words"!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  5:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I guess the answer is yes and no, it just depends on the particular railcar.

Ray

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2019 :  7:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having just gone through the Boston & Maine/Maine Central Motor Car Diagram Book, I can say that the B&M ordered both single-ended and double-ended gas-electrics in 1925 and '26. They ordered from both Brill and EMC, in at least 9 different body configurations. Most of the 9 types came in pairs, leading me to think they were ordered for specific branchlines. Double-ended cars presumably were bought for services with no wye or too short a turntable at the remote end.

Previous Topic: Interesting rail-marine and city photos circa WWI Topic Next Topic: St. Albans Station  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000