Railroad Line Forums - Minolta Lens to Nikon camera
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Minolta Lens to Nikon camera
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: CombineZM Topic Next Topic: Photo Shop Toutorial
Page: of 2

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  6:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Nikon D3000. I was sitting here .. and realized that my Minolta 7000i SLR in my storage has a telephoto lens. It's a Minolta AF 75-300 .. 1:45(32)-5.6

eBay sells a Minolta MD MC Lens to Nikon mount adapter.

Since I have the lens and camera .. and the adapter is relatively cheap .. will this work? I understand that the AF and all that won't work .. but if it does .. 'somewhat' .. think would be a quick an dirty use of a lens.

Ok camera gurus .. ?

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It´s like dividing by Zero, you just don´t know what will happen... :-D

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael .. yeah .. ha. I guess with a what .. $200 lens I can afford to try a $25 adapter. Worse case I' out $25 .. best case I have a telephoto lens (manual)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  9:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the new lenses are -so much better-, even the $200 lenses now are a lot better than the $500-$1000 lenses from the film/manual focus days!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  06:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind adapted lenses probably work only in manual focus and manual exposure control too. Save some money perhaps but at the expense of ease of use.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  07:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, Bob .. thing is .. I already have the older Minolta lens. I understand that a new lens made for the Nikon D3000 would be best and that using an adapter will mean having to manually focus etc. My question was more in that the eBay adapter talks about MD and MC Minolta lenses .. so is my Minolta Telephoto lens .. MD or MC?? Like I said, I can see dropping $21 (dbl checked) just to see if that will allow using my old lens.

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  08:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, I have has Minolta AF lens and now Sony Alpha. Minolta made good lens. suggest you take it to a camera store and try out the adaptors there. If they work, go and buy the one you have found.

from a minolta info page

Minolta produced an extensive array of lenses for the manual focus SLR system, and thankfully, given the lens mount remained the same throughout the history of the company the lenses from any era will mount onto all manual focus bodies, with varying degrees of functionality. The lens mount, contrary to common belief, is actually called the “SR” mount, not the “MC” or “MD” mount. The terms MC and MD relate to different series’ of Minolta lenses, with different features. All of the lenses, however, use the SR mount.

for the full article.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20History.html

good luck with it.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  08:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started out with Minolta film cameras, and was really disappointed that Minolta showed no interest in a digital SLR. Eventually, though Minolta produced a late entry and about a year later sold the entire line to Sony. So Sony DSLRs are actually Minolta mount. But it was too late for me, I sold all my film gear when the original Canon Digital Rebel came out. I'm on my 3rd Canon DSLR back and have never regretted it (including the reasonably good quality lenses I had for the old Minolta backs...)

dave

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  08:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say buy some film and load up your 7000i :)
But I'm more of a film guy, so I might be a little biased.
-Cody

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, thanks for that link. I was confused by the MD/MC mount thing .. that cleared it up. That link also led me to my lens ..

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Minolta-AF-75-300-F4.5-5.6-New_lens53.html

I went ahead and ordered the adapter. Total cost was $21 including shipping so .. 'what the heck'

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  10:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think you will find it works okay, kinda like putting wooden wheels on a new corvette.
The optics are good dont get me wrong but in the long run I think you will upgrade to a more appropriate lense. For now it will be fine especially for only $21!
Enjoy and let us know!
-Marty

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marty, agree 100%. I don't have a need for a telephoto lens that much so hopefully this will work fine. I had a need for close-ups of my modeling. Took a look at Macro lenses .. took a step back at the prices and ended up buying a set of close-up lenses off eBay for around $20. Funny thing is .. this was for my Sony DSLR .. had to get an adapter for them to fit .. but they screw directly into the Nikon. Ha! They work great (for now) like this close-up of the plumbing for my pump house (in progress) ..

Maximum close-up shows me that a Macro lens would be (I assume) clearer and sharper but that's down on my wish-list for now (again .. $ drives everything).

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  12:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, what f/stop were you using on those photos?

dave

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  12:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

dave

f32

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  1:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was choosing my first camera, Pentax got points for providing f/22 in most of their lenses. I don't recall realizing that Minolta went them one better.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  2:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eTraxx

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

dave

f32

So try backing off a bit, using a larger f-stop, and then trimming the photo. Lenses are notoriously soft at max and min aperture.

dave

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: CombineZM Topic Next Topic: Photo Shop Toutorial  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000