Railroad Line Forums - Aladdin General Store in O scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Aladdin General Store in O scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Another Stone in the Wall Topic Next Topic: mexican style roof tiles
Page: of 4

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  8:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added the walls that will make the post office side of the building. I also added the small storage shed to the back of the wall.

The next step was to add the rolled roofing (tar paper) to the rear covered staircase. The kit supplies so very good peel and stick paper that is already colored in a weathered tarpaper tint but I lightly sprayed some floquil weathered black over it so give it a more uneven look.

I unfortunetly missed a wall that needed to be painted white so I have to pull my airbush and white paint out (again!) before I can continue assembly.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  10:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry it's taking so long between updates. Most of my work is done on weekends and last weekend I was at a swap meet for the Sunday I did manage to paint the missing wall and after witing for it to dry this past weekend I continued with the build

The outer stairway was built up along with the rear addition.
The board and batten is constructed by the battens applied as one piece over each wall. The corner trim is supplied as basswood trim that was painted and glued to the corners. A few pieces needed to have one side of the angle trimmed to fit.

The roof for the stairway is sheeted in the tarpaper (rolled roofing) and installed in three parts, then the joints are covered in in additional pieces of tarpaper.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 04/12/2011 10:36:36 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  4:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the shape of the building with all its angles and corners.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  5:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting - gonna be a nice model

Elliott

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  6:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had some extra time this week so I manged to get most of the roofs on.

The rear roof over the board and batten addition has small rafters to attach. On this I have noticed is that the slots are made just large enough for the tabs to fit. Since I added the rafters after I painted I had to scrape the paint off each rafter tab to make it fit.

I also added all the trim to the front of the building

Mostly it's a matter of tracking down the right piece of trim of the lasercut sheets, painting it and gluing or sticking it in place. I had to sand a few pieces to fit but it was pretty easy. All the trim has the peel and stick but I added glue to some of the smaller part, just to make sure they would stay.
The two Roofs on the side additions (bar and post office) were installed too

I haven't placed the trim on those yet. You can also see the corbells on the upper trim which really add some character to the building.
The main roof and the rear addition's roof will both get shake shingles while the two side roofs will get corrugated roofing. I'm waiting for some polly-s rust for those.The next project will be the porch roof, which will also have shake shingles.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  7:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This front wall is wonderful, Glen. The green and white paint scheme is very efficient.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started work on the front porch roof

The front support comes as the main joist with the uprights to be attached. There are two small hollow squares that slide up each post for the accent. I assembled and glued all this except for the bottom squares on each post. The posts fit into the holes on the porch and then I slid the squares down and glued them in place. I painted the assembly and then glued it all in place in the porch, adding the roof supports right after.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 04/30/2011 7:53:40 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  7:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been busy with shingling the roofs for the past couple days. The shingles I believe are die cut peel and stick. They come in a wood brown color of the sheets.I sprayed Creamcoat Mudstone on the sheet in a ramdom pattern to get some variety in the shingles when they go on the roof.

To start applying the shingles you first stick a 'starter-strip' on the bottom of the roof.

This gives the first row of shinlge the proper height instead of an unrealistic drop-off.
Then it's just a matter of applying the first row to cover the starter strip, and then the second row to cover the non-shingle part of the first strip and so on

When you finish the one side of the roof up to the top, you turn and add the other side. When both sides are done you are given a 'cap' piece that is a double-wide non shingle strip that has a scoring line length-wise. That is for bending over the roof peak

I did like how the finished roof looks with the peak cap on and the coloring of the shingles. I'll add some dry-brush steaking later with the addition of the chimney and other details.
The rear addition was done in a simular manner but I kept the airbrushing of the shingles a little lighter since this was a later addition to the building, hence the shingles would be newer.

I have to add the last course of shingles on the top yet. Those will be indiviual shingles cut from the sheets since there is no way to hide the top part on the shingle strip.

I've just started shingling the porch roof

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 04/30/2011 7:56:50 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  8:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good Glen. On the VERY FEW occassions that I have used laser cut shingles I cut the strips into 2-4 inch lengths when applying them.
This increases the randomness of the pre-coloring and also the variation. It didnt take much longer but greatly improved the appearance, at least to me.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/30/2011 8:35:41 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  9:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cutting them into shorter strips seems like a pretty good way to go. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future as the shingling is all done on this kit now.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  10:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added the last of the trim to the rear of the building and installed the roof. Okay the roof it removable so I really didn't install it, just placed it there.

I painted the chimney last night but it needs a couple washes before it gets placed in the roof

I airbrushed the metal roof parts as well. I rushed and forgot that I have to prime them first so the first attempt didn't go very well. but then I fliped them over primed and painted them in rust.

This brings me to a quandry. I had planned to glue the panels to the roof as they are and them use washes, drybrushing and chalks to weather them so the weathering could be done as they will sit and thus bleend them together. Or I coud weather them as you see in the picture for a more random look when I put them on the roof. Ideas anyone?

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  1:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done a bit of painting /weathering to a couple of the metal roof panels. I started by painting the entire panel in Floquil rust. Then I drybrushed Galleria Burnt Umber lengthwise. Then I drybrushed Galleria Burnt Sienna on them.

After that I brushed some folf-art Dapple gray

I'm trying to find a look for panels that have a bit of rust on them but still sericeable.

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  3:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking nice, Glen !. :-)

Alan

--

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,
I just had a chance to take a look at your build. Fantastic build, it will be no time until you are a full convert to O scale.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  6:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I had planned to glue the panels to the roof as they are and them use washes, drybrushing and chalks to weather them so the weathering could be done as they will sit and thus bleend them together.
Or I coud weather them as you see in the picture for a more random look when I put them on the roof. Ideas anyone?"

A little bit of both I think. I've seen photos here on the forum of metal roofs that have one panel all rusted and the one next to it has most of the galvanizing still on it.
But then you get the rusty one on top with rust streaks running down over the lower panels. A bit of both would work.

Nice job and it makes me want to get one of these kits.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Another Stone in the Wall Topic Next Topic: mexican style roof tiles  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000