Railroad Line Forums - Aladdin General Store in O scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Aladdin General Store in O scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Another Stone in the Wall Topic Next Topic: mexican style roof tiles
Page: of 4

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  08:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks good so far i like the look of this kit so im looking forard to seeing how it comes out.

i build and o scale kits a few years ago before i had done any american, or any o scale. it was quite the shock to the system, but lately ive been swoping from n scale to o scale almost daily so im used to now :D

jhunter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  3:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its great to see a O scale build thread on the forum keep the pics coming , looks like a neat kit willl be following with interest
john hunter

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  10:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for watching so far. I added more layers to the foundation today.Again it feels like cheating since all the new parts are of the peel and stick kind.

Then again I doubt you could get such a neat joints if you had to smear glue on the parts and press then together. The instructions warn that the adheisive on the part is industrial and gets stronger the longer you have the parts together, so you had better be sure that you have the parts in the right place before you walk away for the evening! There are more parts to add so these layers don't have to be painted
Next is the floor boards...

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 03/04/2011 10:31:34 PM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We'll have you converted to O-scale soon! Cracks look good. That kit will be troublesome at times, but you'll be amazed once finished. I remember having enough wood left over to trim the baseboard.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  09:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that is the second floor interior of the kit? Obviously you did a fair amount more to detail the interior than I am going to.

I've spent the last could days painting parts, mostly primering before I airbrush the walls and window parts. This kit eats paint like it's going out of style! I hope to start airbrushing the walls in the next couple days.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  09:55:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

It is Blakeley Service station. It will fit into your kit about 4 times

Philip

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  7:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stained and added the interior floor to the kit.

It was stained with floquil's natural pine. Again it has the peel and stick adheisive on it so it was just a matter of lining it up and placing it in the right place.
I'm almost finished painting the white walls. Most of the exterior walls are finished with their paint. There are just a few that need a second coat. I've gone through 3 bottles of testor's model master flat white so far. hopefully one more should do it. This is the front wall, completed

I'm going to add the doors and windows before the walls go up, since it will probably be easier this way. Once all the painting is done I hope to move a bit faster o the build.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  11:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been working on the windows and doors the last couple days.

The doors come in 4 parts, the back, front, a very small frame shim and the frame. I painted the back in wedgewood green and the front in white . Again these parts all have the peel and stick on them so assembly was a snap.

The small shim piece is to set the door a bit back from the frame for a more realistic look. I find that the wood in this kit is fairly 'thirsty' and soaks paint up readily. However that allows the grain to show through the white for some un-intentional weathering

The main front door and window is also made in four parts. I painted a couple parts for effect.

Then assembled them:

The glass (glazing) if also lazer cut and fits perfectly in the window openings. Again no glue required.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  6:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I moved on to the windows this afternoon. They come in three parts.

Again it is all peel and stick to assembly is simple.
Attach the two inner sashes together and add the glazing to each part:

Install the window in the wall openning, it's usually a tight enough fit that it will just stay in by itself:

Add the frame around it and carefully press the window back into the adhiesive on the frame

I finished one of the side walls. The upper window is open simply be positioning the lower sash in the open position and trimming the top window glass to size

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  7:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, Glen. This kit appears to be very well designed, and this provides quite neat assemblies.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  7:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished the window and door today.

The front main door/ window assembly was finished and placed in the front wall. I added the lock plates and door knobs to all the doors. The kit also comes with curtains for the upper windows. They're laser-cut as well and fit perfectly.

Next I get to start putting walls up!

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 03/26/2011 7:58:40 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  12:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the first walls up today

The instructions say to put the front, two sides and the second floor support together at the same time. The eileen's tacky glue comes in handy here because it takes a couple minutes to get everything aligned in the slots and tabs before the glue sets up.

The angled support on the right side is for the bar lean-to that will be added later.
I've also pulled out my airbrush again to paint the rolled roofing/tarpaper that goes on the rear staircase enclosure (at least thats what it looks like to me). The tarpaper is a self adheisive material that comes in a medium grey. I sprayed a splotchy floquil weathered black over it to give it some variety in it's color. Pics to follow

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  01:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your coming along nicely Glen

Did the cutains come with the kit?

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  5:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. My only reluctance would be about the look of the curtains from the inside. Do you plan to add an interior to the building, and in particular separations to avoid the look-through problems?

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes,
The Curtains did come with the kit. They are laser cut to fit inside the window frames. They have a slight gloss pattern on them so they don't look like a flat sheet of paper.

Frederic,
The first floor is one peice but you can't really see the side windows from the front the second floor has a removable floor and wall section that will provide a view block. Both this second floor and the roof are designed to be removable so an interior can be added later. My friend didn't supply me with anything so that part is up to him if he chooses.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Another Stone in the Wall Topic Next Topic: mexican style roof tiles  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000