Railroad Line Forums - Aladdin General Store in O scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Aladdin General Store in O scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tellynott corner module Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 4

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  9:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend gave me Ragg's... to Riches: the Aladdin General Store kit in O sacale to build for him. This is my first O scale build and being in HO the size difference takes some getting used to

This is a straight from the instructions build with minimal weathering. I'm painting the building white with a faded green trim and window and door frames. The first thing to build is the window frames, adding the crown molding.
Raggs to riches supplies you with a sringe for the applying glue. I was skeptical about using it at first but the glue appilcation control you have using it is definetly an improvment over my former toothpick method.

After the glue set I primed and painted the frames

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  10:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Glen
Having made the move to O from HO a while back I know how you feel but it is a fun "getting used to" and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Kevin

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  11:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, that is a great looking kit and I hope he got the detail kit addition to go with it. I couldn't remember if it comes with it or is seperate. Enjoy building in O scale, you do a lot more detailing and it does take a little longer.

Mark

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 02/28/2011 11:29:50 PM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  12:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

I built the Raggs, Blakely's station. What a great kit! I'll be watching this one as it's on my want list.

Philip

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  02:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the general shape of this structure and will follow with interest your build of it, Glen.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  08:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, when I saw the title of this thread, I though we might have lost another one to 'the dark side'.

A few years ago I built an O-Scale Depot. The size difference is indeed significant.

Let us know how that glue applicator works out. Are there any issues with the glued drying in that tip?

bilas68
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  09:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,

I like it. HO scale version is on my wish list.

How that syringe is working for you? Last time I tried using one glue just dried up and I had to throw syringe away.

Vilius

My blog: http://viliussm.blogspot.com

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy does that look nice. Might just put it on the wish list.
Will have to follow a you build.

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  1:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful...I took an O scale "vacation" from HO and never went back! I think you will enjoy this.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  3:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Glen,

I was wondering the same thing as Vilius.

How do you stop the glue (PVA or whatever) from gumming up the syringe?

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...And what kind of glue are you using?...
-Dave

-Dave

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  7:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I haven't had any problems with the glue drying in the tip. The needle part is removable and the instructions state that if the glue does dry in the tip to just remove the tip and ream it out with some wire. As per the instructions I'm using Ailene's Tacky Glue, which gives a decent set time and is paintable when it dries.
Don't worry Bruce, I have far too much invested in HO and not enough layout space to turn!

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 03/01/2011 7:10:36 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first first number of steps in the instruction deal with building sub-assemblies that should be painted after assembled. I started with the bench and picnic table. Both were easy builds (After building simular structures in HO)

I used the glue sringe and it worked great, allowing me to get just enough glue on the joints with very minimal squeeze-out. After the glue dried I stained them with Flo-stain Walnut (from my secret stash!)

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 03/01/2011 11:32:28 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  8:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Doan

Be careful...I took an O scale "vacation" from HO and never went back! I think you will enjoy this.

An all too familiar story Mr Doan.......

Karl.A

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  9:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bench and picnic table look good.

The trick to keeping the Raggs recommended Aleenes from stopping up is to plunge it slightly a couple times daily when not in use. The tip will stop up quickly if you don't. When its empty, clean it out with warm soapy water. Mine lasted a couple of years.

Philip

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  9:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built and painted the foundation over the last couple days

The foundation come in two parts (I guess to fit in the box!)I primered the entire foundation with grey walmart primer and then sprayed Apple barrel Country Grey on the parts that will be visible on the finished model. The floor will be laminated onto this structure.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Tellynott corner module Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000