Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 48 ]  [ Total: 48 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool
Page: of 26

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  04:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! Following along ... continuing to find inspiration ... sometimes even visiting between posts.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  02:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It for my a very fine inspiration i likeit ,looking great

Greeting form Germany

Frank the Cowboybilly

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  11:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the comments Frank and Dallas! Dallas - that really means a lot - thank you!

Well, progress has been taking some time, but progress there is none the less, so here is an update.

Still a little way to go. I've been looking at signage today and working out what this structure will be. I have settled on 'Edmonds Baking Powder' with the iconic (at least in NZ) catch phrase 'sure to rise'. I have built a stack from plastic tubing, which has been painted and is curing. I need to add tar paper roofing to the small boiler house roof, and the right end addition. The corrugated iron roof will be toned down with some white chalk. It was primed grey, then painted Floquil gun metal followed by caboose red and then dry brushed with antique white. There were some splits in the weatherboard before I started, and although I glued and taped these together, they have come apart again. These will have to be discuised. I was intending to have quite a bit of ivy growing up the building anyway, so will be able to hide the splits one way or another. Here are some pics.

Firstly, here is one showing the bracing. You can see I put a couple of pieces of brass tube in to try to keep the structure plumb and true, as the extention to the right is only about 1/4" thick. Actually I had thinner wooden bracing ready for the verticle strengthening of this addition, and then promtly forgot and put thicker stuff on. When I realised my mistake I decided the easiest way to rectify the problem was to make a stop and hit the bracing with my electric planner! It took but seconds, but I was glad to be done with it and still have my wall intact!

Here is the structure in position on the diorama.

Ok. For some reason I cant upload the other two pics I prepared, so I'll post this and see if I can post the others in another post.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Close Window

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 09/05/2012 11:51:35 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  11:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi again.

A view straight on.

And one from the left.

Back to the signs!

Cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Edmonds baking powder is really looking great Mark!
I can't wait to see all of the extra stuff installed on to it.

Greg Shinnie

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  10:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Although I haven't posted on this thread I've enjoyed following your progress - you ability to create the impression of a bustling big city in a minimal space is inspired and reminds me of Earl Smallshaw's layout (which I've seen in person several times).

You mentioned looking for signage ideas for your block of modified Magnuson stores - one neat image from Jack Delano (available in the US Library of Congress collection) is this one showing all the headlines of the day obviously handwritten and posted in the window of a newspaper office/newstand in Brockton, Mass.

http://johnlrobinson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/newspaper.jpg

May provide some inspiration?

Keep sharing your modeling, and I'll keep following!

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

Edited by - CVSNE on 09/06/2012 10:44:18 AM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  03:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for your comments Greg and Marty - they are always much appreciated. Thanks for that link Marty - I have something very similar to this in mind. The sticking point is finding appropriate prices for everyday goods in 1932 New Zealand. I have found a good site and just need time to sift through it - my next project.

Well, Edmonds is all finished until it is time to set it in place. I will put some ivy growing up the walls to hide the worst splits in the siding when I do this. It will need a small walkway to the doors and probably a few small details as well. It was a fun project, and i think it came out quite well. There certainly wont be any others around like it!

Here are some pics.

An overall view with the forground structure removed. I'm thinking of making this forground structure (a Magnuson brewery kit-bash) part of the same complex.

From the left side.

A close up of the left end. It was that sign writing on the original that was the clincher for what this structure turned out to be.

And a close up the the right end and the stack.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  03:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lovely structure Mark, like the different rooflines..

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  06:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking good Mark. I like the billboard letting on the side of the building.

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  07:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Mark. I'm looking forward to seeing what your next building will be.

George

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  10:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I love the lettering on the building, is it dry transfer (rub on) or waterslide? The sign on the roof is great too.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Edited by - CN6401 on 09/11/2012 10:39:47 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  08:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really excellent work Mark!
The Edmonds rooftop sign is a real eye catcher.
And I bet, this will look even more fantastic once installed on your module.
My only complaint, I don't see a light anywhere!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  4:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the compliments Martin, Bob, George, Ralph and Greg, they mean a lot.

The signage on the walls is done with Woodland Scenics dry transfers.

Greg - yes, you are right. I will look into it. I have to start eventually!

Heres a couple more pics showing Edmonds in context with the mock-ups around it. The brick work and bottom of the stack will barely be seen (only glimpsed at an angle) so I did not spend much time on this area (none of the brick corners were puttied and sanded as is my normal practice) and no details were added. This is one of the main reasons why I mock things up first - so I know what will not be seen and so what to not put much effort into.

Close up of stack looking through Magnuson Brewery kit-bash. It is this structure that I am thinking of making part of the Edmonds complex. If I do I will add a walk-over between the wooden and brick structures. The prototype had both a large brick and large wooden building.

From further back. Brett's Brewery in the forground, Magnuson Brewery kit-bash behind, and modified Hollenders boxing gym to the left.

And one looking straight on.

Cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  9:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really going to be a stunning piece your (Tellynott module) when completed Mark!
As you fit each structure into place I get more excited to see the next!
Now stop reading this and get back to work!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  11:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Thanks Greg! I'm pleased to see others get excited about this part of the hobby too! Honestly - its one of my favourite parts!

Onwards we go! I'm sticking to the same small section of the 'Tellynott backwall extention'. I have the 'Edmonds' timber low relief structure (just completed), the Magnuson Brewery kit-bash, the FOSscale Hollenders boxing gym, and a small two story building to the left of the boxing gym. This last building looked like I might be able to get done fairly quickly, so I chose to tackle this one next.

On the subject of the boxing gym, you may remember I was hoping to find a NZ boxer from the 1930's to aid in the signage? Well recently I found both pictures and a great name (especially considering that my layout is set in the south westland of NZ - and area known for snadflies and whitebait). Here's what the book says:

Stan "Whitebait" Purton, the only Waiuta boxer to win National titles - fly-weight in 1925 and 1926.

That will do me!

I also resently aquired a Smokey Hollow Products 'Skeeters fly dope' kit, which will also fit in nicely with my Shadowlands extention, and the South Westland's notorious sandflies. The kit has a wonderful exterior tank farm.

OK - a couple of pics of the latest project.

The starting point was another front wall from what remains from my magnuson 'block of shops' kitbash. The side and back are Wills plasticard. I added a small piece of styrene to the front door to disguise the fact that it is 10 scale inches thick!

The clapboard walls cut out and windows and doors fitted. The two small pieces below will be the sides of a walkover to the boxing gym.

And here is a plan of the second story deck (with porch covering it) stairs, and landings. I thought I'd show my stringers. I just hold one from a Campbell kit on top of some 10" by 2" and cut it out with a sharp knife. You have to choose timber with good grain so it doesn't split the triangles that make the rises off.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000